Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bike advice needed

2»

Comments

• Options
    I'm after a road bike

I like the look of this one

bike

fancy something cool looking, and pricey as I can get 50% off through the wifes work.

are triathlon bikes practical, I have lite mtn bike but want something sh*t hot to get me to work quicker.

(sensible) views please?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Wait for the new Bianchi 2011 range.

I'm looking at this:
    http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Bianchi_Infinito.html
  • Options
    Having liked my Rockhopper so much, I opted for a Specialized Allez when I made the transition to a road bike. Went for the Elite version with the compact chainset (over the model below with a triple chainset). Have lost a little at both ends compared to a triple but can still get over Shooters Hill on it with my full camelbak rucksack on so no complaints. Its very comfy, sporty geometry and I can do a ride between 1-5hrs on it with no aches and pains. Huge difference in braking power compared to the Rockhopper though. You really have to have your wits about you and think a good 10-20 yards ahead

Can recommend the guys at Bromley Bike Company. They know their stuff and spend a lot of time with you setting the bike up correctly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Brakes? Just use your feet. And pop a crushed coke can in between the tyre and forks for an authentic motorcycle sound.

Just a brilliant comment.

Do the words "Out-de-way" shouted as you hurtled down some slope mean anything to anyone else on here?
  • Options
    I am stuck with Evans due to the 50% discount.....
  • Options
    Depends where you are Razil, but I don't think many would recommend a time trial bike as a practical commute. You're more stretched out, bad for a dodgy back, and you're center of gravity is more forward so if you hit a pothole downhill on a road you don't know you'll find yorself supermanning without your bike.

They changed the cycle to work to a £1000 a few years ago, although I know some employers like councils setup their own things prior to cycle to work. The canondale super six, groupset 105, was said to be a superb bike last year and doesn't look to have changed much. It's £1800. Wrong time of year to buy though, buy in August and you could have got £500 off of it for the 2010 version. I'd imagine same deals would be available next year, as big ticket sales are down and 20% VAT will hit harder as well.
  • Options
    Mountain Bike - 'North Stand'
    Road bike - East and West Stand

That's all there is about bikes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Depends where you are Razil, but I don't think many would recommend a time trial bike as a practical commute. You're more stretched out, bad for a dodgy back, and you're center of gravity is more forward so if you hit a pothole downhill on a road you don't know you'll find yorself supermanning without your bike.

They changed the cycle to work to a £1000 a few years ago, although I know some employers like councils setup their own things prior to cycle to work. The canondale super six, groupset 105, was said to be a superb bike last year and doesn't look to have changed much. It's £1800. Wrong time of year to buy though, buy in August and you could have got £500 off of it for the 2010 version. I'd imagine same deals would be available next year, as big ticket sales are down and 20% VAT will hit harder as well.

Thats good advice, thanks

I like the 'look' of the triathlon, vanity I'm afraid. As you say would rather have something more appropriate to do my commute 10-12 miles including shooters hill, but has to be light and fast too,

R
  • Options
    Don't buy a time trial bike for the commute - it's set up for athletes to get their heads down and travel at speed...you'll do your back in and suffer a stiff neck.

Condor are good bikes, but you pay a premium for them...if you want to do that to have a good 'brand' then go ahead - lots of happy riders, but you'll probably get better value for money from one of the 'major' brands (but lose the kudos of riding a Condor)..

Whatever you do, don't buy until January, when all the 2010 bikes go on sale.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They're all ready on sale!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
  • Options
    Someone's opened a wasp's nest. Best deals are August now, as the good bikes go quick. You're left with bikes like BMC's, good bikes I'm told but don't know anyone who's ever bought one. Every time you walk throught the door at Evan's they're practically shouting at you BMC.

The £400 off the 2010 Canondale six, 105 groupset, at Evans was simply outstanding value. The Canondale six frame is worth £1200 on it's own let alone with decentish groupset and wheels. Another one to check out are Wiggle's german brand Focus, they slash their prices hugely after August sometime. They were selling their Focus Cayo carbon for a £1,000; which is £300 cheaper than you'd have got if or in 2007 before bike prices shot up. The Germans seem to setup their bikes for speed. This beaut looks a right bargain for a TT bike. You could get it and test ride for I think a week and just return it!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/focus-izalco-chrono-shimano-2010/

People can go on about super record, and sram but if I was commuting on a bike I'd take 105 every time. If you need to replace a component, it's 25% to 50% cheaper per component, than Ultegra let alone comparing to Campagnolo.
  • Options
    ColinTat is spot on re: Focus. If you're looking for a carbon around £1k, you should look at the Boardman's and the Focus', both get great reviews.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    liking the bianchi and Trek carbon jobbies, is that a problem? :)

bianchi

Trek
  • Options
    I commute Bromley to Moorgate on a 2009 cannondale Six, and I absolutely love it. I'm considering going back to the bad boy hybrid though, as I'm getting fat again having increased my beer consumption to totally nullify the benefits of the long ride and need a bike that will make me work a little harder.

Can't face the idea of a singlespeed though, although I'm told that would fitten me up really sharpish.