Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Local Brewery History

Wandering around Whitechapel yesterday walked past old Brewery in Brick Lane and one next door to Blind Beggar im sure i can remember them working years back on net yesterday saw that in Dartford we had shed load of Brewers they must have been mad times to smell the beer being made as well as popping into your local to drink beer made ove the road......i guess Charlton in its time must have had a local Brewery ? Anyone know anthing on local Brewery i cannot recall seeing amy local buildings that may have been a Brewery .......or even what the Brewery may have been called.......but there must have been some around in 30s 40s and 50s supporting the local area and club

Comments

• Options
    Not sure about a brewery in Charlton. The nearest I know of was Lovibonds in Greenwich, which was adjacent to Greenwich Station. Some of the buildings are still there today and used as Davy's Wine Bar. I think the brewery closed in the late 60s. I don't know what their beers were like as they closed before my beer drinking days had started.
  • Options
    Can just see that across our shits * Lovibonds *
  • Options
    Yes, it does sound a bit camp doesn't it?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: dartfordgent[/cite]Can just see that across our shits * Lovibonds *[/quote]

Wow a huge Richard the 3rd with the Lovibond logo written across it.....I'd pay to see that!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dartfordgent[/cite]Can just see that across our shits * Lovibonds *

Wow a huge Richard the 3rd with the Lovibond logo written across it.....I'd pay to see that!

You're weird !
    ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: dartfordgent[/cite]Can just see that across our shits * Lovibonds *[/quote]

Wow a huge Richard the 3rd with the Lovibond logo written across it.....I'd pay to see that![/quote]

You're weird !
    ;-)[/quote]

LOL!!
  • Options
    Beazleys used to be in Plumstead (Brewery Road area strangely:-) ) before Courage swallowed it up in the early sixties.
  • Options
    Didn't the Anti have a micro brewery for a while (when Bruce's Firkins were popular)?
  • Options
    The Beasley brewery was in Brewery Road and the massive pub on the corner was the Brewery Tap and when it closed in the mid sixties in became the secret den of the very naughty Slade gang...

We used to climb over the wall of the bottling yard and nick a crate of empties and take them round to the snug and get tuppence a bottle, thruppence if it had a stopper....

We'd then cross over to Dotties sweet shop to buy 10 Park Drive and a penny book of matches...

Another favourite pastime was to fire conkers with our moggies at the huge dangly knobs of the gigantic horses that pulled the drays, there was one really madarsed drayman that would throw bottles at you if you got too close...

Happy days...
  • Options
    The Beasley brewery owned the Beehive in New Eltham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    History is no substitute for the present, and I'm more than happy that one of the top five or six current breweries in the UK (and multiple winners of world's best beer awards) are in Charlton, a stone's throw from The Valley. Whilst it's nice to look back on things from the past, eg like the '47 Cup Final, I think the here and now is the important thing and at least our local brewery ain't embarrassing us the way the team is!
  • Options
    floydandharvey

as a sad lager drinking fizzy pop boy i dont know about this brewery in what direction do you have to throw these stones as sounds interesting
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dartfordgent[/cite]floydandharvey

as a sad lager drinking fizzy pop boy i dont know about this brewery in what direction do you have to throw these stones as sounds interesting

Meantime.
    Penhall road.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite][url=[url]http://relaxingworldtravel.com/europe/new-6m-portal-opens-to-unlock-maritime-greenwich-to-one-million-visitors-a-year/[/url]]Greenwich Brewery Site Reopens[/url][/quote]

Beat me to it LOL

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23817574-opening-time-for-historic-brewery-that-was-a-tonic-to-greenwichs-old-sailors.do
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I was down there this morning - had a taste of the 8% London porter they're brewing on site. Lovely drop of beer. Especially at 11am.

In about three weeks, the Kellerbier will come through - the lager that's being brewed on site.

Boris gets a taste tonight at the formal launch, then it opens for real tomorrow. It's more of a restaurant/cafe than a pub, though.

http://www.oldbrewerygreenwich.com/
  • Options
    I went to this place earlier in the year with some mates. The beers were quite interesting.
    Blackheath microbrewery