Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Trotter making it in South London

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]So your "natural" level is pretty much midtable of the league above and ours is on the cusp of promotion from this divison/relegation from the one above.

Pretty much what I thought. I assume Palace rank just a few places above you though? & will start to slip lower....

palaces average finishing position in the 81 seasons since we joined is 40th .....
  • Options
    Oops, you forget sharing a ground for seven/eight years. A proud time in any club's history.

Regarding the FA Cup/League runners-up success I don't think football fans shouldn't be allowed to claim anything that happened before they were born. You don't hear me harping on about us winning the East End Cup three times do you? I'm pretty sure you would've prefered European football in 2004 than FA Cup success before the war?

A bogey team suggests you've had poor fortune, wheres in reality, for the most part, it's been one-way traffic in the Millwall/Charlton matches.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]So your "natural" level is pretty much midtable of the league above and ours is on the cusp of promotion from this divison/relegation from the one above.

Pretty much what I thought. I assume Palace rank just a few places above you though? & will start to slip lower....

palaces average finishing position in the 81 seasons since we joined is 40th .....

Yet in the 'holy trinity' of Millwall v Charlton v Palace games, we have the dominant record.

Still, irrelevant.
  • Options
    ANYWAY....

Liam Trotter looked a bit shaky at first, but has gradually steadied the shaky midfield that we had earlier in the season. His presence also appears to have brought out the best in Jimmy Abdou, and he's looking like the player he was last season. Another good signing by Jackett in my opinion.
  • Options
    i' d definitely rather have won the FA cup than slipped in and out of europe unnoticed thru the back door ......
    81 seasons of league football we have finished above millwall 56 times

ok 7th in the top flight in todays modern era is miraculous 12 seasons of top flight football very nice ....
  • Options
    Didn't think Palace had a record as bad as that. For some reason I've always thought of them as the bigger of the 3 clubs with Millwall & Charlton on a par (except of course for the past 15 years!).

Probably to do with my earliest football memories being in the late 80's & early 90's when Palace had Wright & Bright, FA Cup Final etc whilst us two were on an equal footing.

Not sure whether Charlton in 35th, Palace in 40th and us in 45th means we have overachieved or that you two have severely underachieved when you take into account the size of the clubs, history etc, you'd expect to be more than 10 places above us I'm sure.
  • Options
    But you weren't born when you won the cup oohaah. Are you really expecting me to believe you'd prefer reading about FA success 60 years ago, than actually experiencing an actual FA Cup final yourself, and the European entry that followed?
  • Options
    SLL man utd's average finishing position is prolly 10th or worse and they proabably have the highest average or maybe arsenal who have always been top flight .....
  • Options
    Post war http://stats.football365.com/hist/postwar/atavgpos.html
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Prophet[/cite]But you weren't born when you won the cup oohaah. Are you really expecting me to believe you'd prefer reading about FA success 60 years ago, than actually experiencing an actual FA Cup final yourself, and the European entry that followed?

we've won the FA Cup palace and millwall haven't it's a nice thing on our C.V along with the years of top flight football ......
    FA Cup has lost it's value since the 90's and all the SKY business , as has the UEFA Cup
    I'm sure it was a great occassion but everyone knows the Play Offs and promotion to top flight footy have become the biggest potnetial prize in football outside the Champions League chuff and thankfully i've seen my side win the league and win the greatest ever club match at wembley(not in wales) to secure those prizes (cheers curbs)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where were all these Spanners earlier in the season, when they were mid-table...??

Not you Groucho.
  • Options
    JT - I popped on and read this the week before our 4-4 game, was interested to see what you lot all thought.

This is the only busy Charlton site from what I could find. Popped back on again prior to the home game and there were a few comments that needed to be addressed, hence me signing up.

Now because this is quite busy, and the Millwall one I frequent has died a death, and work is a little slow, I pop on a bit more often.

At least I will until we start losing again!!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    as much as i have a dislike ( complete hatred, my blood boils when i look at the league table) for millwall, the 3 amigos seem like decent enough folk and like the banter and are into their stats which is a good thing imo cos we can use our top trump FA Cup win on them !!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yes, and in fairness that FA Cup run cost us a play-off place.

Win the league? You've only ever won one league, even we've managed more than that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Prophet[/cite]Yes, and in fairness that FA Cup run cost us a play-off place.

Win the league? You've only ever won one league, even we've managed more than that.

obviously playing at a lower level you'll have more chance of winning the league... we have won 2 leagues btw
  • Options
    Didn't know we were counting 3rd Division South?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Prophet[/cite]Didn't know we were counting 3rd Division South?

well i thought i would cos it's where millwalls longest spell of finishing above charlton took place after we joined the league 8 monumental seasons between 1921 and 1929
  • Options
    We counting the East End Cup as well?

Wonder when you'll start to count any Gilligham honours as your own as well......

I see Scally started to foam at the mouth when interviewed on Late Kick Off last week...he really is a twat that bloke & to think he claims to be Millwall.
  • Options
    How have the two clubs done (finishing positions) when in the same division?
  • Options
    millwall have finished above charlton on 25 occassions (12 of those in charltons first 13 seasons of league football)
    charlton have finshed above millwall 56 times (14 of those in the last 14 seasons)

millwall have played in the division above charlton on 5 occassions
    charlton have played in the division above millwall on 26 occassions

millwall have never played 2 divisions above charlton
    charlton have played 2 divisions above millwall on 19 occassions

millwall have finished above charlton on 20 of the 31 occassions they were in the same division (proper bogey team)

millwalls longest run of finishing above charlton was during our first 8 seasons of league football 1921-29

charltons longest run of finishing above millwall was from 1935-1967 encompassing 25 seasons
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    OohAah has this 'mantra' painted in big red letters on every single wall in his house.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Groucho78MFC[/cite]OohAah has this 'mantra' painted in big red letters on every single wall in his house.

Tattoo'd on my arse and updated each season!
  • Options
    rember millwall losing to us at the valley 2-0 was was the catalyst to relegation that year............to this division
  • Options
    millwall were the last team in london to make it to the top tier,before barnet and dagenham became league members,shocking
  • Options
    millwall have finished above charlton on 20 of the 31 occassions they were in the same division (proper bogey team)

Yeah, that's what I though. Shall we just call it 21 of 32?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Prophet[/cite]millwall have finished above charlton on 20 of the 31 occassions they were in the same division (proper bogey team)

Yeah, that's what I though. Shall we just call it 21 of 32?

maybe you can call it 26 out of 82
  • Options
    But the point is, when we actually meet, you melt. Very lucky for Charlton that you have been in a higher league for most of our histories.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    when we actually meet it's usually cos we're s**t and we're in the same league as you ...
    when we're really good you are still chuffing around in the lower reaches of football
  • Options
    oohaah - sad but probably all too true!
  • Options
    Perhaps you can dig up some of those FA Winners and play them?