Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Barry Hearn's double relegation bluerpint.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but an article in the recent issue of The Football League paper talks about his proposal that the current 10 point penalty for clubs going in to administration be scrapped and replaced by a double relegation.

This was brought up at the most recent Football League meeting last week and Hearn says the reaction was positive and he's writing to all 72 chairman to seek their support.

Good idea,bad idea,total lunacy..Discuss

Comments

• Double relegation is way too much. But if it stops the financial lunacy it might be worth it. As ever though it's the fans who suffer the most for the greed and incompetence within the game.
  • I agree with it, it might put a brake on some clubs risking their existence, and for one season at least we might be a division above Palace. But then of course we might be one division below them afterwards.

Pompey for example could bounce straight back up to the premier league next season, thats is no punishment for how they have been managed for the last 5 years.
  • I agree tougher punishments need to be brought in but think maybe double relegation is a bit strong.

Another example is southampton, went into administation and within months became the biggest spending team in the league, i know its a new owner but as Cordoban says there is no punishment for previous mis-management, which means for those clubs that are consistantly run well they get no advantage from being well run
  • I agree with it.
    Spending money you don't have and bringing in debts you can't cover is just a form of cheating.

If Southampton owed me or my business a whole lot of money and I was told I might get 10p in the pound, (or less), at best, I'd be more than a little angry to find them signing a million pound player only weeks later.
  • A double relegation can't be implemented. An almost guaranteed relegation but trying to maintain the competitive nature of the league might be the best option, a 30 point deduction!!
  • well, at least we done it the proper way without admin!
    Doesnt seem that long ago we were 2 divisions higher!
  • What does he mean by double relegation? If he means you go down two leagues no matter what your league position when you go into admin, then I think that's a bit too extreme. However, if it's a case of going into administration means no points deduction, but an automatic relegation regardless of your league position, and a second relegation if you end up in the relegation positions at the end of the season, I think that'd be fair enough.
  • How about guaranteed relegation & you can't be promoted the next season no matter how well you do?
    That way you get punished for 2 years...
  • So if you're in the 4th division you go to the conference north/south? What affect does that have on those divisions?

The bloke's a boxing promoter - why would people even entertain the ideas of this clown?
  • [cite]Posted By: Marco[/cite]I agree with it.
    Spending money you don't have and bringing in debts you can't cover is just a form of cheating.

If Southampton owed me or my business a whole lot of money and I was told I might get 10p in the pound, (or less), at best, I'd be more than a little angry to find them signing a million pound player only weeks later.

Absolutely.

Imagine a local printer, caterer or whatever getting stiffed for $100,000 by Southampton and then finding out the new owners are still paying players $5,000 per week or whatever - you would be furious and rightly so.

I think the current penalties are too lenient BUT if they do bring in more draconian penalties like a double-relegation then they would need to give a grace period of at least two years before bringing it in to ensure fairness to clubs that are currently struggling.
  • Sponsored links:

• I like the idea of not being allowed promotion and 8th place gets a playoff place. The prize money would be the incentive to do well that season.
  • Clearly the way Southampton have bounced back from meltdown to affluence needs to be examined, there have been times this season when I have wondered whether a 10 point deduction for us would be worth having when exchanged for a chance to clear the debt and start afresh albeit in about 8th spot- but as another post said at least we have done it the right way (so far). Whilst I wouldn't entertain the idea of two relegations something stiffer does need to be done in order to make clubs think twice, to that end I think Friend or Defoes suggestion is better.