Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Europa Cup - What happens if Liverpool win?

Just discussing this with a couple of lads in the office, if Liverpool do manage to win the Europa Cup they will qualify for next seasons Champions League.

So would that mean the fourth placed team (currently the Spudz) wouldn't be given a place in the Champions League???

That would be funny!

Comments

• Options
    They'd both go through, surely. There's a spot allocated for the Europa winner and it wouldn't effect the spot open for 4th place.
  • Options
    Chunes is correct.

Although Platini will probably adjust the rulebook accordingly.
  • Options
    Certain that forth do not go in!
  • Options
    They'll shoe horn Liverpool in somehow, like they did in 2005 when the finished 5th, but were allowed to compete in the 2006 CL because they won it the year before.
  • Options
    I'm not so sure there is you know.

Reading page 103 of The Sun today, there's a quick snippet of an interview with Fulham's Simon Davies. I quote: "Simon Davies reckons putting a Champions League place up for grabs would boost the Europa League". I read that as there isnt currently a place awarded to the winners. I dont know for sure but thats how it reads.
  • Options
    if liverpool won it's a knockout they'd claim it should entitle them into the champions league.
  • Options
    I don't think winning the Europa league gets you in the champs league
  • Options
    Benfica will spank Liverpool. FACT.
  • Options
    Having googled and looked at the UEFA website, no they wont.
    The winners of the Europa League play the winners of the Champions League in the European Super Cup, the winners of which then go to play in the FIFA Word Club Tournament.
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited April 2010
    Winning the Europa League only gets you into the next season's Europa League. It'll be interesting if they do win the Europa League and finish 4th - will they make a fuss about having to defend their title? ;-)

Reigning Champions' League winners get into the next season's Champions' League. It only affects the allocation of teams if there are four qualifiers from that country (ie. England, Spain and Italy). Hard to see Man U, Barca, Arsenal or Inter finishing outside the top 4. If Lyon or CSKA Moscow win, there may be an extra team from their country, but I don't think anyone loses out. Zenit and a Ukrainian team profit if the Champions qualify domestically
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Liverpool win the Europa Cup Benitez will keep his Job, if not I reckon he'll be out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Benfica will spank Liverpool. FACT.

That will be most amusing!
  • Options
    I am having a cheeky bet on the Mickey Mousers - reckon they will have bit of value.
    Can anyone quote me the odds?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    15/8 on PP
    9/5 on Ladbrookes
  • Options
    Cheers - lump on, you wont regret it.
  • Options
    jean claude van damme film "The Order" on after benfica v liverpool on channel 5
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]jean claude van damme film "The Order" on after benfica v liverpool on channel 5

That had to be the worst film I've ever watched!
  • Options
    The winners of the Europa Cup should automatically qualify for ... the JPT.
  • Options
    I think it would be fair for the Europa League winners to qualify for the Champions League.

If the 'losers' in the CL can be 'relegated/demoted' to the EL, why not have the champions go the other way?

Especially after the sheer volume of games they have to play, throughout the tournament.