Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sir Alec Bedser R.I.P.

Former England fast bowler Sir Alec Bedser has passed away at the age of 91. I never saw him play (well before my time) but he bore the brunt of England's bowling attack in the immediate post war years. Very economical bowler and by all accounts a very nice man too.

Comments

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Shame. Was meant to be a real character. If Wiki is to be believed, a supporter of apartheid.

He had a good innings.
  • Options
    Sacked Ian Botham as Captain
  • Options
    Didn't know about that AshTray - shame if that was the case. From a cricketing point of view though, he was still a great player.
  • Options
    No question. Quite probably inaccurate anyway.
  • Options
    Fine player and dedicated to the game after his retirement as a player.

A man of integrity and standards, virtues that some sneer at in these modern times but none the worse for that.

My late father told me that Angus Fraser, when on song, was not dissimilar to Alec Bedser.

RIP
  • Options
    He and his identical twin brother, Eric, lived in the same house together all their lives until Eric passed away a couple of years back.

As an identical twin myself I can say with some certainty that they must have been extremely good friends, if I have to be in the same house as my twin for more than a couple of hours I get the right hump!