Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

That Messy fella

13»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Can't believe how many people are righting off Argentina on the basis that Messi doesn't seem to be at his best playing for Maradona. Even if you take Messi out of the equation they've got alotof quality left.

By comparison, take Rooney of the England team and we have....er.....Peter Crouch?

and Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Lampard, Gerrard...

I assume you mean Carlton Cole ;-)

It's arguable (for another day) whether those names listed have ever recreated their club form at international level though isn't it?

I know what you're saying and for what it's worth I think this years going to be the most open WC for years but if Rooney's not available I cannot see us winning it. He has that ability to create something special when you need it and the workrate to back it up. Messi is so, so good at the moment but even taking him out I could still see them having a run through to the final because they have another top quality player up there in Tevez.

Guess we don't have long to wait now to find out if Messi's going to be the star of this World Cup or (hopefully) Rooney.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Back to the Prem and judging its strength by Champions League success, well I was talking about this years EPL, I think it is the worst season ever and this may will be reflected in 24 hours time by us not having one team in the semis of the CL for the first time in many years.

So if Man U go out tonight, is the French league better than the PL just because they'll have a representative in the semis? I don't think so.

Come on Chris, that's not what I said is it? I am just saying-AGAIN- that I think this seasons Prem has not been up to the standard of previous years.
    Someone else pointed out the CL factor, English teams have dominated the 1/4's and semis over the past five years or so, but not this year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Back to the Prem and judging its strength by Champions League success, well I was talking about this years EPL, I think it is the worst season ever and this may will be reflected in 24 hours time by us not having one team in the semis of the CL for the first time in many years.

So if Man U go out tonight, is the French league better than the PL just because they'll have a representative in the semis? I don't think so.
    No but at least it should stop some of this best league in the world self congratulatory nonsense.

As for Messi and Argentina I have said for a while I fancy them as outsiders, you can't ignore someone in that form and along with some of their other world class players they must have a chance. Agreed Maradona isn't a tactical genius but when we think of the greatest managers in history how many have won the world cup?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]

No but at least it should stop some of this best league in the world self congratulatory nonsense.

As for Messi and Argentina I have said for a while I fancy them as outsiders, you can't ignore someone in that form and along with some of their other world class players they must have a chance. Agreed Maradona isn't a tactical genius but when we think of the greatest managers in history how many have won the world cup?

Well there's only so many World Cup titles to go around, while there's loads of league titles across Europe and South America. Also, some of the best managers in the world don't enter international management.

It'd be a better question to ask how many teams have won the World Cup despite having a rubbish manager. I'm sure there's one, but I can't think of them.

There are better managed teams with comparable talent to Argentina. If you want names, let's try Spain, Brazil, Italy and Germany.
  • Options
    just seen messi on TV wearing what looked like a pistols GSTQ t-shirt

Bizarre.
  • Options
    I read an article last night saying that apparently Maradona has finally seen sense and is starting to play a formation similar to Barca in order to get the best out of Messi. Apparently in most qualifiers he played Messi as a sort of attacking midfielder behind any 2 from Aguero/Milito/Tevez and Higuian which clearly didn't work. But now he's realised the error of his ways and in the recent friendly away to Germany he lined up 433 with a front 3 of Di Maria - Higuian - Messi. Argentina won the game 1-0 so maybe they will be a decent outside bet. I still fancy Spain though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I read an article last night saying that apparently Maradona has finally seen sense and is starting to play a formation similar to Barca in order to get the best out of Messi. Apparently in most qualifiers he played Messi as a sort of attacking midfielder behind any 2 from Aguero/Milito/Tevez and Higuian which clearly didn't work. But now he's realised the error of his ways and in the recent friendly away to Germany he lined up 433 with a front 3 of Di Maria - Higuian - Messi. Argentina won the game 1-0 so maybe they will be a decent outside bet. I still fancy Spain though.

Di Maria's not too bad either!
  • Options
    I don't think the Premier League is any weaker but maybe it is getting unbalanced - too many average platyers are getting overpaid and are skewing squad sizes meaning that some big clubs are consequently working on thinner squads - for example Man U had to rush Rooney back who was clearly unfit and only had Berbatov as back up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I don't think the Premier League is any weaker but maybe it is getting unbalanced - too many average platyers are getting overpaid and are skewing squad sizes meaning that some big clubs are consequently working on thinner squads - for example Man U had to rush Rooney back who was clearly unfit and only had Berbatov as back up.

That's where United's financial weakness really bit them, if they had the money they would have kept Tevez but they simply could not afford him.

Tevez did far more at United than Berbatov and the decision to release Tevez and keep Berbatov seems crazy now.

Berbatov is a brilliant footballer but when it comes to a scrap you'd have Tevez all day long, he has skill and heart in abundance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]just seen messi on TV wearing what looked like a pistols GSTQ t-shirt

Bizarre.

Perhaps he is the messiah, and that was a sign to Malcom McLaren that his time was up.