Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First match - how old were you?

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
Following on from Kigelia's (excellent) Blog entry about taking his son to the Villa game, how old were you when you went to your first match and what do you think is the right age to bring your kid along for their first match?

Me, I'd just turned 8 and had remember that I'd been begging my old man to take me down there for ages before that. I reckon that any earlier than 5 or 6 is probably too soon - but depends on the kid though I spose.

Thoughts?

(I'm asking cos my son is 4 this year - but I don't think he could last for 90 seconds in his seat, let alone 90 minutes!)

Comments

• Options
    I was 9 years old - The Match:

Charlton Athletic v Blackburn Rovers at Wembley in 1987 - Full Members cup final.

Went on a coach from Greenwich and the toilet was a bucket at the front by the driver.
  • Options
    I was about 8 .... against ipswich in the playoffs....... when they were sponsore by Fisons......
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    4 deffo too young.

took mine when he was 5 and he said at hlaf time - come on then lets go home

me: "got anotherhalf yet mate"
    him: "you only told me we were watching one match"

this was the exeter cup game when JJ scored the over head kicks.

spent the next 45 minutes saying - yeah it nearly over.

oh yeah i was 7
  • Options
    i was 4 i think. home to peterborough 5-1 either 1993/94? gary nelson hatrick. not a bad game to start you off.
  • Options
    First MATCH ? About 6 - Dartford FC
    First Charlton Match - about 15'ish - Pre-season friendly at Gravesend & Northfleet
    First Real Charlton Match - around 21. Bristol Rovers away, about '91/92. Got pissed, got a slap and I think we lost 1-0.
  • Options
    First match was in 1965 at the age of 5 but I didn't really remember much before the 1968/69 season.
  • Options
    My youngest daughter's first game was the Wembley play off final at the age of 7. Her second game was Sittingbourne away the following pre season.

Despite that contrast of footballing experience she has had a season ticket with me for a few seasons now and has informed me that we are renewing next season whether we get relegated or not.

I was 8 when I first went.
  • Options
    i was about 3 but no idea who against or what the score was!
  • Options
    I was 11 at my first game CAFC v West ham League Cup 1980

Took my son to a couple of reserve matches when he was 3/4 meant we would go for a half (when playing at the Valley) first proper game at just under 5, I would say the Villa game (my son is 6 in a couple of months) was the first he really enjoyed. It's better if they are going with at least another child, his first proper game (last year FA cup) there was a couple of older children who he knows as part of the group which made it easier.

He is well up for going to the Pub to.....
  • Options

Charlton v Blackpool
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2007
    I took my boy while my was pregnant with him.
    but he didnt go again till he was 5
    I 10, it was a league cup game against Peterbourgh we won 4-0 attendance was about 4000
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: pettswoodaddick[/cite]I took my boy while my was pregnant with him.
    but he didnt go again till he was 5

I thought I might win this one Pettswood until you came up with that!. My dad was a Bobby working out of shooters hill nick and used to do ground duty ealry 60's (when it was a perk, not a danger like the 70's). My Mum used to take us down there at half time and stand with him. Me in the pram and bruv big enough to walk apparently.

My eldest lad was 6 when I first took him. Just about the right age for him. We beat Notts County 5-1 Nov 1993.
  • Options
    Feb 1974, during the three day week, Charlton played Shrewsbury Town on a Sunday morning - Power strikes were on, not enough to power the floodlights, hence the sunday KO. We drew 3-3. I don't remember a thing about the game apart from the big packets of crisps (what were they) and the sound of Peanuts..........

Took Alex, my eldest to his first game at the Valley when he was 4.
  • Options
    7/8

It was either the 79/80 or 80/81 season and we lost to some Welsh side.

Got bored and decide to have a game of hide n seek on the East Terrace with this other lad who was equally as apathetic about the whole thing.

The bug didnt take hold until I was about 10
  • Options
    I was about 9. My mum grew up in North London and had made me be a Spurs fan, but I never cared bout football so just went along with it, then my cub scout leader took us all on a trip to the valley for the match against Stoke. (i think twas about 95). We drew 0-0 and was a piss poor match, but I fell in love with the club. How sweet....
  • Options
    I was 4 or 5 years old, and it was vs QPR at the Valley.

I've still got a few sketchy memories of it (25 or so years later), so maybe it was about the right age to start going..
  • Options
    Suprised how young some of you were !

I was about 8, home to Newcastle at the Valley, 83/84, think Newcastle won 3-1.

My dad never followed a club, was one of those inner-Londoners that hopped on the tube to a different ground every week from when he was about 8. Different world then....

Never actually got into Charlton until well into the Selhurst period, so its nice looking back the Valley was my first ground, even if it was a coincidence.

Good thread.
  • Options
    I was about 8-9, my father was/ still is completely apathetic about football.

Took my eldest daughter, then aged 3 and a quarter, to the pre-season at Wycombe before our first season in the premiership, trying to gently get her into football- didn't really help when Andy Petterson whilst warming Sasa Ilic up kicked the ball into the crowd and the ball hit her straight on the head.

Needless to say, football isn't one of her major passions in life now!
  • Options
    7, Charlton v Tottenham, FA Cup Replay, 1985
  • Options
    I was 6 or 7 and it was 76 / 77 vs Wolves at The Valley...

The couple infront of me (East Stand, block E) bring a toddler to every game as it's cheaper than a babysitter apparently... Don't think the baby (who can't be much older than one) watches much of the match, but is exceptionally well behaved...my boy (now 2) has never sat that still in his life... I think CC Jnr will start going around age 7, if Mrs CC lets him (she has a pathological hatred of anything to do with football - silly woman!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't remember being too young to watch Charlton. Dad took me when I was 4 apparently. Got hooked and now had a season ticket for 33 years.
  • Options
    I was 11, took my oldest boy when he was 5. They all used to ga and have season tickets, now my daughter does not go but the boys love it. Both had season tickets for the last 8 years!! Now 14 and 13.........
  • Options
    Family legend has it that my mum went to Charlton when she was 8 months pregnant, and had to lift the bump over the turnstile in order to get in. Unfortunately, as it's unlikely that she did that with a two year old in tow as well, it's more likely that my older sister was the bump in question, rather than me. I have no idea what my first game was, although I think I was about 5, and all I can really remember is being perched on top of a crash barrier on the East Terrace (showing my age there), and nearly falling off as my dad let go of me cos we'd scored. We were probably only half way up, but the players seemed tiny.

Somewhere at my parents' place there's a junior membership card in my name for the 80/81 season, but although we went to the odd big game like the Spurs cup game, and Keegan's last game in London for Newcastle, we didn't really start going regularly until after the club went bust. We hadn't been going to many games before the decision to move to Selhurst, but luckily the fact that we ended up on a run for promotion meant we kept going, and pretty soon I was hooked.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The first game I remember was against Bristol Rovers/City @ home. Not sure if we were at The Valley though. Won 4-1, can anyone shed any light?
  • Options
    Aged 4, got no recollection of the match though, my earliest CAFC memories are of the ground and the crowd rather than anything on the pitch.
  • Options
    I was around 8 or 9 years old - mid '70s no idea who we played, what the score was or anything. Can't even remember being at the match. Great fan eh?

My first ever match though was at Bromley probably aged ca 5.
  • Options
    think I was about 4/5, 78/79 season - lost 1-0 at home to (I think) Birmingham...

used to sit in the old West Stand but kept bugging my dad to take us behind the goal, away games were a real treat as we could sit/stand in with everyone who would sing !!!!
  • Options
    I think I was 4 , my Dad took me with all his mates , still go with some of them now

It was either Bristol R or Blackburn , someone with a blue n white block squares kit

Stood at the front of the Covered End
  • Options
    I was 12. 1987 V leicester at Selhurst 2-1 win i think. My dad never followed a team. I played for the district team and the manager always had tickets. This then progressed onto being a ballboy at Selhurst for 2 years. Remember Gazza going to shake my hand in the tunnel then pulling his hand away in a "schoolboy error" way, but he said something different...went bright red at the time. The selhurst days grew into a tidy little number of us who were in the football wilderness, and once over 16 used to think we was men after 2 pints of Fosters!! Great days, real fans....can we have them back please.
  • Options
    I took my daughter when she was 5. Make sure you get a drink and a massive packet of sweets before you sit down, and on the way from the sweety kiosk a trip to the toilet is recommended. Then make sure you say these words " Make that drink last you the whole game, and remember no one is allowed to leave their seat until half time when you will be allowed to go to the toilet" " And don't tell mummy that you know what Stevie Coppell is or what South london is full of"