Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roy Keane's comments about the Stokes deal

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1987604,00.html

You reckon they threatened Stokes that JFH would sit on him if he didn't sign?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1987604,00.html

Thought the story was that Keano got his old mate Fergie to give the lad a call...now if that's not threatening...

(So are Minty and Reg the new Kray twins? Don't see it, somehow.)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1987604,00.html

Can't open the link, what does it say?
  • Options
    Threats were made in chase for £2m teenager Stokes, Keane claims

Michael Walker
    Thursday January 11, 2007
    The Guardian

Sunderland unveiled their latest signing, Anthony Stokes, yesterday and Roy Keane said one reason why the 18-year-old former Arsenal striker chose the Wearsiders over Celtic and Charlton Athletic was Sunderland's softly, softly approach. This contrasted with what Keane said amounted to pressure from other interested parties.
    "I thought I'd missed out on him on Saturday night because I was told that he wasn't coming to us," said Sunderland's manager. "But it's never over until the player has signed. We've agreed fees for players but, until the lad actually signs, you just never know. I got another phone call, had another chat, and things changed.

"It's very hard for a young player, especially when they're being put under a lot of pressure by certain people. People are always looking to criticise players for changing their minds, but managers do it every day of the week. Chairmen do it as well.
    "I do believe that the lad was put under extreme pressure by one or two people who should be having a good look at themselves now because, ultimately, I think that's one of the main reasons why he came to us. I'm not going to go into too many details but, right from the start, we told Anthony that whatever decision he made, we would be wishing him well. We didn't threaten him and I think he appreciated that. We didn't put him under pressure. We didn't have medicals lined up for him and we didn't threaten him at all."

Stokes confirmed that view. "Roy [Keane] rang me and spoke to me about where he saw the club going and where he saw myself going. He has said that he thinks this is a Premiership club and that the Premiership is where he wants to be. I want to play in the Premiership, so we are on the same lines there.

"But he never put any pressure on me and that's one of the things I liked about him and about Sunderland. It has been hectic. Everyone was on to me, saying: 'Can we get a signature? We need it as soon as possible,' and things like that. It's what happens when people want to sign you I suppose.

"But Roy was very good. He rang me once and said 'take your time, take as long as you want'. I came back to him with the decision that I was happy and that I wanted to come here."
  • Options
    Thanks WA
  • Options
    andrew mills?