Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Films in 3D

Saw Avatar in 3D at the imax a while back and thought it was 'meh'. Saw Alice In Wonderland today, however, and it was absolutely frickin' awesome. Fantastic experience. I think if the film is good, and lends itself to 3D (and this film obviously does) then it's an amazing experience. Saw the trailer for Toy Story 3 in 3D, and that looks amazing. I can't wait to see it!

Comments

• Options
    Had my first taste of 3D in a Sky booth type thing at the O2. They were previewing Sky 3D and I was blown away. I had no idea it would be that good. Had a clip of a football match in the snow and it looked stunning.
    Went to see Avatar in 3D at Greenwich when it was out but was totally sold out so missed out on it. Defintley going to make sure I see Toy Story in 3D.
  • Options
    3D is the only way to see movies now here in the States. Avatar, Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans were all amazing!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Totally agree about Alice in Wonderland Leroy - one of the best flims I have seen in ages. The Cheshire cat and the Catarpillar are brilliant! I said to Mrs. Algarve I could have happily turned around and watched it all again immediately, I can't recall another film where I have felt like that.
  • Options
    only seen avatar in 3d, and whilst i looked great i wasn't sold. It gave me a headache and the premium you pay for an, already damned expensive, cinema ticket is way too high in my view.

took the kids to see 'how to train your dragon' only saw it in 2d and it was still a great film which had laughs and thrills, just no pointy stuff for me to wave my arms at. I doubt i would have enjoyed it more in 3d.

Essentially if the film is awful it will be awful regardless of the dimensions, the same applies to a great one. when they can do 3d without me having to wear uncomfortable glasses i will buy into it, until that day i will conclude it's main benefit is to make it harder for the pirates to get in on the act and reduce the amount of cash for the studios.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick16[/cite]3D is the only way to see movies now here in the States. Avatar, Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans were all amazing!

I didn't really appreciate Clash of the Teabags in 3D. It actually looked better without the glasses and didn't rate the film at all. Best bit was the Kraken and I'll stick with the original film. Had such high expectations for that so probs why we were so disappointed.

Avatar in 3D was visually brilliant agree about the meh for the rest of the film though. Giant Smurfs in space.

I've heard nothing but good things about Alice in Wonderland and it's next on the list and will defo watch that in 3D.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Totally agree about Alice in Wonderland Leroy - one of the best flims I have seen in ages. The Cheshire cat and the Catarpillar are brilliant! I said to Mrs. Algarve I could have happily turned around and watched it all again immediately, I can't recall another film where I have felt like that.

Yup, felt the same way ... superb film.
  • Options
    I have been to a few films in 3D and i kind of feel the 3D has been added on at the end as a sort of after thought. Its not like they havnt tried this before maybe it will catch on this time. Alice in Wondrland was great but i think it would have been great with or without 3D. I dont really like films like Avatar, for example Lord of the Rings truly is not my cup of tea its to serious and too unrealistic give me City Of God over any 3D film i have seen. Maybe they will do City of God in 3D :-)
  • Options
    I've seen a few of the recent spate of 3D films and really I'm not sure that the extra dimension has made up for the eye strain involved. I'm a speccy-four-eyes anyway so having the 3D glasses plonked on top of my normal glasses seems to make the images rather dingy.
    Probably the best use I've seen recently was in Coraline but if I'd seen it in 2D, I don't think I would have enjoyed it less.
    Oh, and by the way, Avatar is the most appalling heap of steaming pants I've seen in ages.
  • Options
    Clash of the Titans was truly awful in 3D:

The actors looked like cardboard cut-outs and a lot of scenes were actually 2D, also it was so blurry that I had a headache after watching this.

Read a review after saying the film had been transformed into 3D (in a studio) at the last minute, i.e. it was not filmed in 3D originally: so there lies the problem.

Will be checking in future that the film is filmed in 3D and not a transfer to 3D.
  • Options
    Me too Red. Clash of the Titans and Alice in Wonderland weren't shot in 3D, it was just retrofitted in at the end to squeeze a few more quid out of punters. It's not something I can be bothered with. Every 3D movie I've ever seen involves a lot of pointless pointing at the screen. They might as well have a man walking about with a megaphone shouting, it's in 3D, you know!

As for 3D football... good grief. I had some Sky 4 plastic telling me about how wonderful it was. I suggested that if you actually attend the game it's always in 3D.