Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Maths question - what's the fomula

for working out how many different numbers can be made from five single digit numbers?

So if I have 3, 5, 6, 8 and 2, how many different ways can you arrange these five numbers to make a five figure number such as 68,235.

This was actually part of my son's homework. He gave up after about two but I'm sure there is a formula to work it out.

C'mon all you IT geeks, you must know.

Comments

• edited January 2007
    5x4x3x2(x1) = 120 possible scenarios

Obviously if there were 7 numbers to start with it'd be 7x6x5x4x3x2(x1) etc.
  • this sounds like one for Ollie.....
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]5x4x3x2(x1) = 120 possible scenarios?

Cheers F I knew it would be devilishly complicated like that!
  • I think the answer is 120 for a perm of 5 (assuming you are using whole numbers only if you are including the decimal point 35.682 then the number will increase quite a bit I think).
  • Matt Holland?
  • Thats a lottery!
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]5x4x3x2(x1) = 120 possible scenarios

Obviously if there were 7 numbers to start with it'd be 7x6x5x4x3x2(x1) etc.
    F-Blocker is right (assuming each digit is unique).
  • edited January 2007
    That took us 4 minutes to answer. Are we clever of what :-) I wonder what would happen if we posted the question on the Millwall rivals site?
  • you just type in 5! in the calculator (thats what that ! sign does short hand of 5x4x3x2(x1))
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]this sounds like one for Ollie.....

dood, how did you no that i cant add up for toffee! maths is the most hardest most difficultist thing to do ever in the world! My step dad used to help me with my mahs homework, he used to set me tests too, and i can tell ya however long i tried, and however much effort he put in, i was still a retard at maths.

I am still a retard at maths.

Well done bart
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]That took us 4 minutes to answer. Are we clever of what :-) I wonder what would happen if we posted the question on the Millwall rivals site?

Someone would shout "house".