Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

22nd of April a wonderful day

The anniversary of when I first entered The Valley. Can it really be 43 years ago, that I crossed the bridge into The Valley. As a young schoolboy, I had always supported Chelsea, whilst my best friend Tony Denton, followed Charlton. On our note books would be scribbled Tommy Doc and Bob Stokoe. Tony decided to change my allegiance to the Valliants of SE7. Both Tony and his father were season ticket holders in the West-stand, the old rabbit hatch. They would always travel in the white Jaguar that his father owned. On this day, there would be 2 other passengers: myself and another schoolfriend Steven Beams. I am unable to say why my allegiance was changed that afternoon, but just maybe it was the vast open space that we call the Valley. Six months prior to this I had been attending Stamford Bridge and watching games played by a top first division club. Now I had fallen for the reds of SE7, a lowly 2nd division club. Some 43 years further on nothing will change my belief in the Addicks. On Saturday I will be at Exeter, ground no. 83. All thanks to my old schoolfriend Tony Denton.

Comments

• Options
    nice post
  • Options
    Glory hunter. ;-)
  • Options
    my nans 89th birthday tomorrow,happy birthday nan
  • Options
    opponents Hull City. What was the score?
  • Options
    Nice post Lewis, my dad took me to my first game at the Valley during the 67/68 season (43 years ago) but I have to be honest I cant recall which month.
  • Options
    4 hours kip, drunken night and im at work.....wonderful! lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]my nans 89th birthday tomorrow,happy birthday nan

St Georges Day tomorrow.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]The anniversary of when I first entered The Valley. Can it really be 43 years ago, that I crossed the bridge into The Valley. As a young schoolboy, I had always supported Chelsea, whilst my best friend Tony Denton, followed Charlton. On our note books would be scribbled Tommy Doc and Bob Stokoe. Tony decided to change my allegiance to the Valliants of SE7. Both Tony and his father were season ticket holders in the West-stand, the old rabbit hatch. They would always travel in the white Jaguar that his father owned. On this day, there would be 2 other passengers: myself and another schoolfriend Steven Beams. I am unable to say why my allegiance was changed that afternoon, but just maybe it was the vast open space that we call the Valley. Six months prior to this I had been attending Stamford Bridge and watching games played by a top first division club. Now I had fallen for the reds of SE7, a lowly 2nd division club. Some 43 years further on nothing will change my belief in the Addicks. On Saturday I will be at Exeter, ground no. 83. All thanks to my old schoolfriend Tony Denton.

Great post...i''ll see you in Exeter mate :)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]my nans 89th birthday tomorrow,happy birthday nan

St Georges Day tomorrow.

My (21st ?) Birthday Sunday.........
  • Options
    Queens birthday....happy birthday Your Majesty.

I've been going to The Valley about 2 years longer than you Lewis Coaches and I'll be at Exeter too!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I blame Abramovich!!!

Happy Anniversary
  • Options
    Great post. 66/7, had some decent players then. Saunders, Wright, Bonds, Campbell and Glover to name a few. Happy days.
  • Options
    First game was Hull City at home lost 1-3 think Eddie Firmani got Charltons goal.Some 43years on still going strong,met up with some old friends from Lewis Coaches on saturday will try to up load photo,Janice,Trevor,keith,Rob and Roy all old Lewis Coaches away fans from the 1970s good to see you all again and little Eddie son of Eddie Cecil the coach driver old habits die hard .GREAT DAYS.......sorry i missed you 1965,catch up with you all soon.