Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beckham joined LA Galaxy on a five year deal. WOW

Strange if you ask me, hes only 31 and could have still achieved massive things in hes career. More interested in the commercial side of things I guess. I could understand if he was 36 but still thought he had another 3/4 years in Top Flight football.

Comments

• Options
    I doubt it was his decision. More like his stupid ugly wife's.
    Live in Hollywood or back to England and probably the North? You know what she'd chose.

What a complete waste. A real shame I reckon.
  • Options
    all about money, the guy is saying his career is over. I guess that's some way to go, can't love the game that much (any more). I guess you can't blame him.
  • Options
    Theres no doubt that David Beckham is a world class player, hes better IMO than twats like Phill Neville, Micheal Carrick, SWP that get put in the England squad. OK, remove him as captain but I always thought it was the wrong descision to drop him from the 22 man squad altogether. Shame hes going to go out like this as it just shows that football is becoming a big commercial sport which sadly will carry on getting worse.
  • Options
    but just imagine it was you, go and b an absolute legend in not just the team but the entire league/country , no doubt the moneys not bad, and when the us eventually win the world cup (its gotta happen at some point), he'll b able to say i told you so!!!!

ok thinking bout it, you'd stay over here til 34/35 then go over there
  • Options
    And he's apparently getting paid 250 Million $$$$$$ over 5 years
  • Options
    obviously lost the fire needed to be a top player.

You go into every club in the country and i bet you'll find their best players are normally the hardest workers in training as well. Why ? because they always want to improve and gain more.

Shame Beckham lost that fire. He wasn't as good as the press made out at his peak, but he was still a world class player.
  • Options
    Yeah i head that, £128m, 5 year deal.

Works out to:

£492,000 per week
    £98,400 per day
    £4,100 per hour
    £68 per minute
    £1 per second
  • Options
    that can;t b right don;t standard US league players (as registration is owned by league isn't it??) only get bout 80-100k per yr

or is that just a few players owned by league or youth products or something
  • Options
    As a regular watcher of the MSL I think it's great news - there is a real battle over here between the quickly growing legions of "soccer" fans & the hockey/grid iron meatheads. Soccer gets little coverage on mainstream TV, but the speciality channels like Fox, Gol & ESPN get consistently good ratings.

This will be great for the game in the US/Canada & I wouldn't be suprised to see more star names (all at the end of their careers mind you) on the way over. the MSL unlike the NASL is well run & ultra competitive.

Canada has a new & first team in the competition in 2007 - Toronto FC - I will be following their progress with some interest.
  • Options
    the salary cap got stopped end of last season so i think its all changed.

It's possible that they may actually cap the salary but give him a massive signing on fee
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yup, the rules changed last year.

He's off to join the circus, and is going to be one hell of an embarrassing figure in a few years. Still, Tom and Katie will be pleased.
  • Options
    I think they are now allowed two players outside the wage cap system.

For him personally a shrewd move, financially obviously but with his value as a brand declining in UK and Europe he can be a big fish in a small but very lucrative pond. It means his brand can be extending in the US and past the end of his playing career if he moves into acting (See goal pt 2 is coming out in the summer).

Having played for two of the three biggest clubs in the world (he'll come to the third, Charlton, when he's 43) any other club would be a step down. England don't want him and maybe he is disallusioned with the game.

When Les Reed came to Bromley Addicks many months ago he said that the old David Beckham was a lovely guy but that there were now also the showbiz Beckham and that he was a different person.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    When Les Reed came to Bromley Addicks many months ago he said that the old David Beckham was a lovely guy but that there were now also the showbiz Beckham and that he was a different person.

He also told us we'd be contending for a UEFA spot by March so i wouldn't to too much of what he said ! :-)
  • Options
    What I've seen of the MLS, it's a decent league, football is quite good, the US national team is improving, and the club game in America is growing with the new football specific stadiums.

The money in the long term will be good for the MLS and US football long term.

Inspector - Tinge of anti-Americanism there?
  • Options
    You don't think a move to Los Angeles to play in league not known for its high skill, and to hang out with Hollywood celebs doesn't count as a circus?
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Nope, I see it as getting a decent pay day, chance to be the biggest fish in a medium size pond, expanding the game in the US and Canada in a massive way. BTW I think MLS is a decent league.

So he's gets to live in Hollywood, hang out with celeb mates and earn a shed load of money, no jealousy here, it's cool, were do I sign up?
  • Options
    It's very reflective of the changing face of the US - hugely popular amongst the latinos

The standard as Rothko says is Ok & most importantly it is on through the summer months ensuring 12 months of uniterrupted football for the Oakster household.

Say what you like about the Yanks - they, like the Aussies, do know how to develop young players & throw ample money & resources at sport for youngsters through the college system.
  • Options
    The Standard as per a US Sports jounalist on TV this morning compared the top US sides to be equivalent to Fulham or Aston Villa in our Premier League.
  • Options
    i think a huge percentage of whats is being quoted as his salary will be made up because he will have full control of his image rights which is where he will make his money
  • Options
    Good bloody luck to him.

You got to admire the fella he's made the most of what talent he has
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The standard is nothing special, but the games are competitive & the league has produced some decent players - as is evident by the number of Americans/Canadians now playing in the top European leagues.

I like watching Freddy Adu play for DC United - the supposed wonderkid - he has no clue about tactics or positional play - he just gets the ball & runs around in circles, beating every player on the pitch twice & then miskicking the ball out for a throw. Genius.
  • Options
    American sport is also good for it's competitive nature, the NFL got it down to a tee, no big dynasties, all clubs having there days in the sun.

Have LA got to the Play offs in MLS?
  • Options
    i did a 3 month tennis training camp when i was 15 in Florida..
    (i was playing county tennis at the time)

the yank kids who i was with, there parents would turn up & watch them train, kick there
    arses if they did something wrong or lost a point/match..

fcuk that for a laugh.. that is far far too much pressure, but its the norm out there
  • Options
    LA were pony last season - Houston won the thing