Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Taking the FA to the High Court over Sankofa sending off

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
Over the Sankofa sending off, and the way the FA have behaved over the handling and the extra game.

The case is being backed by the Premier League, Keith Hackett (who thought the sending off should have been scrubbed) and the ref assessor at the game who also agreed with Hackett

Comments

• Options
    and for labelling it "frivolous".

Good
  • Options
    so if the referee manager and the bloody assessor thought it was a wrong decision who the feck did they consult over the decision.

Must have been that Ponce Riley.

Waste of money if you ask me but to make a point I suppose we have to do it.
  • Options
    Is this true?? Aren't we putting ourselves up as the fall guys in an almighty wrangle between PLand FA here over who runs discipline in the game? Hope we've got good assurance from PL that in return they'll find ways to ensure we avoid relegation!!
  • Options
    The Premier League has backed Charlton's efforts to overturn the extra one-game suspension handed to defender Osei Sankofa.

The right-back missed last weekend's FA Cup tie against Nottingham Forest after receiving a one-game ban following his dismissal against Arsenal on January 2nd.

But when the club appealed to the Football Association against his red card the governing body labelled the appeal 'frivolous' and doubled the ban to two games, meaning Sankofa would also be ruled out of Saturday's Premiership match against Middlesbrough.

Now the situation could end up in court with the Addicks, supported by the Premier League, dumbfounded by the actions of the governing body.

"After studying the match video, and being advised by the Premier League to appeal, we did so and lost," explained Charlton chief executive Peter Varney.

"But while we fully accept the right of the FA not to uphold our appeal, the decision to then call it 'frivolous' and double the ban is outrageous, and that's the view of the Premier League as well as ourselves."

Sankofa was shown a red card for a pull back on Robin van Persie, when the Gunners striker should already have been given offside as the duo tried to reach a loose ball in the penalty area.

What's more, Charlton argued, the foul was hardly professional as Talal El Karkouri was also on hand, meaning that it's questionable whether Sankofa was the 'last man'.

Added Varney: "Keith Hackett and John Morton, who manage the elite referees group for the Premier League, plus the match delegates and senior officials of the Premier League, all advised us that we should challenge the decision to double the suspension.

"The FA has refused to give us an explanation as to why they consider our appeal was frivolous - it was most certainly not frivolous and even officials of the FA have accepted we had grounds for an appeal.

"We are therefore consulting with lawyers with a view to challenging this decision in the courts, and we are supported fully in this action by the Premier League."
  • Options
    Whilst this is in interesting development, unless something happens before the end of tomorrow it is ultimately pointless.
  • Options
    its the principle!
  • Options
    Did he play at Forest? Or miss it through this ban? If so then does it matter if we appeal as he's already missed games. Or can he play whilst we're appealing?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Did he play at Forest? Or miss it through this ban? If so then does it matter if we appeal as he's already missed games. Or can he play whilst we're appealing?

or whilst we're appauling...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WestStandSinger[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Did he play at Forest? Or miss it through this ban? If so then does it matter if we appeal as he's already missed games. Or can he play whilst we're appealing?

or whilst we're appauling...

or whilst were applauding?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he is missing two games, including Sat I think
  • Options
    Probably be 4 games after the Court case:-)
  • Options
    So, the club are suing the FA for "frivolously" using their "frivolous" rule.

Good on 'em.

Have the FA ever used the rule before, or have they been waiting for a smaller club to unleash it on? I can't imagine them using it on a Gooner or Chel$ki player - unless they have and I just don't remember it. :)
  • Options
    Well done the board, total disgrace the extra ban.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy Powell[/cite]

Have the FA ever used the rule before, or have they been waiting for a smaller club to unleash it on? I can't imagine them using it on a Gooner or Chel$ki player - unless they have and I just don't remember it. :)

Yes they've used it before but not on a player in the premier league.
  • Options
    they consulted graham poll
  • Options
    Well done CAFC.

FREE OSEI
  • Options
    FA = fffiing rsoles, bloody useless suit merchants sitting about in soho making everything up as they go along, hope they get there arses spanked.
  • Options
    maybe this is because we are expecting a few more reds now we have Thatcher!

not even going to attempt doing a quote thingy tonight lol