Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ex players St.Georges day dinner.

Just like to say thanks to Bernard for organizing last nights St.Georges day bash. Unfortunately Brian Kinsey couldn’t make it as he had to attend a funeral but a few ex players did make an appearance. Amongst the throng…Eddie Youds, Richard (I don’t believe it) Wilson plus the one and only Harry Gregory who finally bought me the drink he promised from 1968, well better late than never. To say a good time was had by all is an understatement. Despite a cold and an ear infection Mrs. Windscreen sung her little heart out all night, and even I got a few compliments regarding my vocal talents which was a first (people do talk such bo**ocks when they’re drunk) I had never met Eddie before, what a character…as big in personality as in size…he’s a tall lad! Harry by contrast was quiet at first, but as the evening rolled on we saw more of the old Harry, big smile, big heart and a zest for life that is truly infectious. The Best moment of the night was when we all linked arms to watch the “Endless Journey” video with Mrs.Windscreen (Rebeka) singing. To say it was an emotional experience would be an understatement, and I found it quite incredible that everyone had learnt the words just from an earlier rendition. Bernard is now planning a 1969 reunion party so watch this space. Will post up a little video tomorrow…thanks again Bernard.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds a great night MW. Where was it held?
  • Options
    Ah yes, it really was a superb evening....Rebeka is a truly wonderful talent...and there are more reasons than one why, which I'd love to relate but it's not my place to do so here...if WS wants to explain more he may wish to....but if you meet this girl it will put a lump in your throat when you realise the mountains she has had to climb to get where she is today.
    If there's any justice in the world of showbusiness, then this girl should without doubt be on the West End stage. Everyone was spellbound by her voice, we should have her singinging at The Valley at some point, I'll be contacting Steve Sutherland first thing on Monday to get something weaving...WS and she have written a lovely Charlton anthem "Endless Journey" that will stir the emotions of every Addick the world over. Believe you me, if we can make this happen sometime soon then you're all in for a treat.
    Hope you like the guitar WS.....oh what a giveaway, now you know who I am!
    The meal was great too....I and Ron were sat at Harry's table with his lovely wife Carole...he has a wicked sense of humour and we had so many laughs as well as more poigniant moments listening to Rebeka.
    Yes, a great evening was had by one and all...well done Bernard....oh yes, so as not to make any confusion, I must point out that this was a purely private function organised by Bernie and had nothing what-so-ever to do with the ex-players association.
    Special mention to Eddie Youds whose idea it was to have a St Georges Day Dinner (I'm sure he get's bigger every time I see him!) a big man is Eddie, with a big personality to match................................roll on 23rd April 2011.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Sounds a great night MW. Where was it held?

The Crown (gastro pub), next door to Sundrige Park Station Bromley.Good food too I have to say.
  • Options
    Thanks Soundas. Know the area well. I think I'm right in saying The Crown was refurbished a year or two back. I'd love to go next year. What other players were there last night if you don't mind me asking.
  • Options
    Mentioned above...not that many actually as it was arranged rather quickly...Brian Kinsey was supposed to have attended but had to go to a funeral and Phil Warman couldn't make it....but hey that didn't matter, it was simply a great evening....one that will live in my mind for sometime.
    Yes, The Crown was closed down and it reopened about 2 to 3 years ago.
  • Options
    Sounds like it was a great night ... Harry Gregory, a real Charlton legend and a player I will always remember from my youth.