Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Weller a sad demise

2»

Comments

• Options
    its dadrock at its worst
  • Options
    What Bibble said.

Otherwise Ian Brown/Stone Roses wouldnt be so popular.
  • Options
    As much as it pains me I have to agree with Henry...Hal David...absolute genious!
  • Options
    Big fan of Weller and really enjoyed his last album, 22 Dreams and haven't heard the new album yet but was slighlty disappointed with his new single. I suppose he's allowed one bad single!
  • Options
    Not sure Paul regards himself as a good singer!..... But I think he rates himself as a musician with some justification. And yes his best days may well be past!.....
    But I would pay to see him than 99 percent of today's singers and act's.

I actually much prefer his acoustic stuff which I think is very subtle and underatted!.
    He is a passoniate and honest artist, which I feel is something to admire in any musician.
  • Options
    my favs oasis never produced an album anywhere near as good as "definately maybe" & "whats the story" but i saw past the downward spiral and the sibling rivalry cos i loved them. the summer of 2005 and the six gigs i went to will live long in the memory for many reasons, one of my best ever years.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have tickets to see Weller at The Royal Albert Hall on 28th May. (yes the day before the play-off final).

Having not seen him live for a couple or three of decades it will be interesting. But then, seeing The Who with a 25 year gap was quite enlightening too!
  • Options
    Always disappointed with post Jam Weller. Music press love him though, latest album got 5 stars in Q. Seems like a case of the emperors news clothes. I just don't get it, he's untouchable.
  • Options
    Wild Wood and Stanley Road are brilliant Weller solo albums. The rest seem a bit bland. Love the Jam - Style Council were ok.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Still in the spirit of '77 I'd rather have an 100 Wellers or Braggs with some feeling and something to say over a technically good but bland Michael Bolton or Charlotte Church.
    I heard that.

X Factor is all about people who have a reasonable degree of singing talent, but not one of them will ever be a Strummer, Thunders or Ramone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    X Factor = I'm lazy, cant be botherd to learn an instrument, cant be bothered to learn my trade as a song writer...I'm here 'cos I wasnt any good at football....now make me a star before I start crying...
  • Options
    Jam - Brilliant
    Style Council - Not
    Solo - No thanks Ive already got the original Traffic/Small Faces/Beatles/Kinks albums
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]X Factor = I'm lazy, cant be botherd to learn an instrument, cant be bothered to learn my trade as a song writer...I'm here 'cos I wasnt any good at football....now make me a star before I start crying...

LOL
    So very true
  • Options
    I have the new album and it is great. It has shades of Jam and the SC, very different to the last album and it nice to see an artist not churning out the same dross year in year out. He does however need to go to a hairdressers to get rid of the mullet - IMHO
  • Options
    Style Council was the best thing he done. Jam are over-rated (cue abuse by people who are wrong)
  • Options
    Saw one of the last Jam concerts at Wembley Arena and they were brilliant. I saw the Specials last week in NYC which was brilliant although Terry Hall is a moody so and so......
  • Options
    Saw Paul Weller live in NYC about 10 years ago, awesome concert. The man is obviously musically talented, puts on a good show too. He's one thats always better live, although his studio work aint too shabby.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well........ mixed review from last night. 30 years after I first saw him live with The Jam.

Obviously the Royal Albert Hall is a great venue so the sound and lighting was top draw as you'd expect but.....

I haven't kept up with Weller too closely over the last few years and was expecting there to be a few numbers that i didn't know. But not 70% of them! He constantly played new and unheard songs even in the encore. I think I knew about 6 or 7 of the ones he played. It was obvious the punters wanted more of a 70/30 mix the other way as the place was rocking when he did play stuff we all knew. At least 3 of the numbers were absolutely awfull and got little applause at the end of them.

I would liken the experience to a DJ playing what HE wanted to play to an empty dancefloor despite it being so obvious that the punters wanted something else.

Would I go again? No. 6/10 for enjoyment on my part despite the bloke still having a wealth of talent.
  • Options
    Jam brilliant
  • Options
    For a 3 piece the Jam were Brilliant live.Saw then when they first started out and also when they called it a day at a gig in guildford,great memories.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jam all day long
  • Options
    I always felt if you took the best 12 Style Council tracks you would have had a formidable album. But.... for me comparing them to The Jam is Izale McLeod and Clive Mendonca.
  • Options
    Paul Weller is god!
  • Options
    Can someone please change the title of this thread? With the slew of celebrity deaths, I keep thinking he's snuffed it every time it pops up.