Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Congratulations Steve McLaren

Steve McLaren got his best birthday present 24 hours early today. Steve McLaren who will be 49 years on May 3rd, tomorrow, threw away the tag of Wally with the Brolly, when FC Twente, of Enschede in The Netherlands, won the Championship. FC Twente beat NAC Breda away 2-0. The Breda keeper, was keeping the home side in the game with some spectacular saves and even more spectacular misses by the Twente forwards. The game seemed to turn with a 2 footed tackle by a Breda defender, who took out one of the Twente forwards. Thus reducing Breda to 10 men. Twente went on to score a goal 2 minutes later and then got a second in the 74th minute. This gave Twente their first title, sending the fans in Enschede into jubilation and the fans in Amsterdam crying in their beer. Personally I hope that Steve McLaren will stay with Twente for at least another season and see if he can get the same succes in Europe. Having been there for 2 years, finishing second and now champions, the Tukker-fans wish him the same.

Comments

• Options
    Congrats to him and good to see a team from outside the big three win the title.

Another example of a "terrible" manager turning out good somewhere else.
  • Options
    Sensational effort to edge out the Ajax who won 14 in a row at the end of the season and had an unbelievable goal difference of +86! Well done Steve. No poisoned chalice in Enschede!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    He'll have to win the CL to make us forget this though.

Shteeve Shpeeks
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]He'll have to win the CL to make us forget this though.

[url=[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZnoP4sUV90[/url]]Shteeve Shpeeks[/url][/quote]

what was he thinking of, hope he's ditched that by now!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]He'll have to win the CL to make us forget this though.

Shteeve Shpeeks

Have to say, that is so embarrassing it defies belief. What a tool.
  • Options
    good club manager
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]good SMALL club manager
  • Options
    The tosser ruined my summer 2008. Well done Twente and all that...but i cant be happy for that wally.
  • Options
    He has the same birthday as me! Should I be glad or embarassed by that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done to Twente but Ajax must be sick. In a 34 game season they scored 106 goals, conceded just 20 and lost only 3 games, yet finished 2nd.
  • Options
    how anyone can have any thing good to say about this cretin is beyond me ruined a good england team in oine foul swoop, tried to be the man by showing he could drop becks only to have to look completey inept and bring him back to try help save the quailfiers, have you al forgotten how much of a tool he looked with his brolley and that he made us a laughing stock,

pls in that clip where he says champions league it shows what a complete eeejit the man was

wont get nowt but boos from me
  • Options
    Does he still speak English with a Dutch accent?
  • Options
    yesh
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Well done to Twente but Ajax must be sick. In a 34 game season they scored 106 goals, conceded just 20 and lost only 3 games, yet finished 2nd.

Even PSV in third place picked up more points per game than all of Chelsea, Newcastle, Norwich, Notts County and Stevenage.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Well done to Twente but Ajax must be sick. In a 34 game season they scored 106 goals, conceded just 20 and lost only 3 games, yet finished 2nd.

It used to be only PSV, Ajax and Feyenoord who had a chance in Holland so I think it's a good thing. And Ajax's record tells me 2 things:

1. Twente deserve to be champions if they beat that record
    2. There isn't much strength in depth in that league

and NLA, let bygones be bygones. He was unlucky with injuries for the Croatia game (although I was still mightily fooked off that night when I was at Wembley), and if we hadn't have failed to qualify I very much doubt the FA would have got Capello in, who is viewed as the best England manager for years. 1 step back to go 2 forward type of thing.

Hodgson screwed up massively at Blackburn but is now proclaimed as a genius, and whilst McLaren's mistakes were on a far bigger scale, it can't forever taint any later achievements. I actually respect McLaren for having the balls unlike his contemporaries to try his luck abroad with an unfashionable club, who although well backed, have no right to be winning championships.

Think he might be taking more than he can chew, if as expected he takes over at Wolfsburg, because if he doesn't win the league like Magath did he'll be viewed as a failure. But I for one admire him for trying abroad instead of dropping into the lower leagues, and will be watching next season to see how he goes....
  • Options
    Splendid effort from Twenteand McLaren. Interesting fact - Ajax have never won the league in a season where they have scored 100 goals or more...
  • Options
    cant stand the man, but credit given when due well done.....your still a **** lol
  • Options
    i just can not forgive him sorry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i just can not forgive him sorry

me neither mate, dont actually rate him as a manager either
  • Options
    Give the man some credit.an englishman that had no knowledge of dutch,not really knowing the players he was taking on or the standard of football in Holland ,in two season takes the club to 2nd and 1st place has done really well.It was as unlikley as a certain Brian Clough winning the division one with Derby and Notts Forest and makes football abit more enjoyable.What he did to England is another matter.
  • Options
    Well that accent is still there. What an idiot.
  • Options
    I wonder how many pubs he closed in the summer of 2008.

Numpty. Don't care what he does with the rest of his career. You're only gifted a certain amount of football tournaments in your lifetime and he took one away from me.
  • Options
    cant do it i am afraid
  • Options
    What's the odds on Dowie learning Dutch...?
  • Options
    On the plus side,Ajax not won the dutch league since2003/2004 and Feyenoord since1998/1999.As for Dowie learning dutch,he had enough trouble finding Newcastle let alone The Netherlands.