Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beards, Plastic and a Dirty Little Secret

edited September 2006 in General Charlton
In the absence of AFKA I have uploaded an article that started out as a preview to the Chelsea game and ended up as an confession.

Kigelia

http://www.charltonlife.com/blog/?p=22

Comments

• Options
    what a refreshing insight. I always wondered where the extras came from for the 'big games'. I always thought you either 'went' or 'didn't go'!

OK a confession from me....... despite following Charlon since the late 60's, I never saw us play a 'home' game at Upton Park! My excuse is that I was well into a refereeing career that had me on the brink of football league linesman when I jacked it in shortly after our return to The Valley.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]...I was well into a refereeing career that had me on the brink of football league linesman when I jacked it in shortly after our return to The Valley.

I can just picture you strutting round a football pitch handing out Red and Yellow cards. I bet you didn't take any shite either...LOL.

My confession....First went to the Valley in 1965 and went virtually every season up until 1977. Then someone introduced me to rugby and I was hooked. From that point, I only went to the early and late season games, evening and pre-season games up until 1985. Started going to Charlton again in the 1985/86 season because I was recovering from a serious back injury and I ended getting a season ticket. Shared my loyalties with Charlton and rugby up until 1989 when I started taking my sport seriously again so I hardly went to Upton Park either. I suffered another back injury (Slipped Disc) in the Early 90's and, despite playing a dozen or so games a season until 1998, have been with Charlton ever since.
  • Options
    Ace column.

Now, what if more modern players had beards?
  • Options
    My secret............ Never went to a game when we were at Smellhurst or Upton Park. Was playing junior and county golf so getting 3 buses from Blackheath and playing / practicing didn't mix. Started going back when we "came home"
  • Options
    Fantastic Blog Kigelia.

Me I Started going regular around 1983/84, became even more loyal supporter at Selhurst & West Ham. Then started to play for quite a good Local Saturday Side & stopped going would you believe the season we returned to the valley. Caught the odd game at Weekends when not playing or the odd Midweeker, then I finally saw the light about 4 Seasons ago, realised Semi Pro Football was getting a bit too much for me at 32 & decided to become a season ticket holder again. Now enjoying it more than ever.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Ok my grubby little secret then- I too never went to a match away from the Valley- got involved at College and distracted at about age 18 and then, when i saw the return to the Valley on TV realised i had to get back- First game back was vs Leicester (with David Speedie and Scott Minto battling it out- great battle between pace and experience) realised i'd already missed too much, and have only missed a handfull of matches since.

BTW- if anyone can tell me the date of the Leicester match i'd be grateful. ( i'm such an anorack!)
  • Options
    great article Kigelia.

Ok, my secret time. The first time i went to the Valley was about 83-84, we were playing Newcastle. And i was cheering for Newcastle, with my little black and white scarf on. Didn't have any affiliation to Newcastle, i just knew i had a black and white scarf and then discovering newcastle played in the same colours.

An away fan at the Valley. And i cheered when they scored. I was lucky Stone didn't try to assault me...