Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

E-BOOKS

Has anyone got one?
Are they any good - easy on the eye, or a continuation of looking at your work computer?
Do you miss the sensation of holding a 'real' book?
are the books available to download much cheaper than paperback/hardbacks ?

Comments

• Mate of mine has Sony ereader and my brother has Amazon Kindle ... both excellent. Had been trying to make up my mind which to get, then the iPad comes along and throws everything in the air!

Not now sure which I want ... will probably wait a few months and see how the iPad changes the market. By end of year or early next year, I would expect eReaders in colour, with full wi-fi.

Trouble is I want one now lol ... so will probably get iPad (if I decide I want internet access albeit without Adobe Flash) or Sony eReader (if I decide I just want a reader with no frills). Kindle is a pain as it still needs to be ordered from US.

Reading from Sony or Kindle is excellent even in sunlight and much cheaper to buy books.
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Mate of mine has Sony ereader and my brother has Amazon Kindle ... both excellent. Had been trying to make up my mind which to get, then the iPad comes along and throws everything in the air!

I'm pretty sure the iPad doesn't have 'e-ink' like the others? So it'd be like reading from a computer screen
  • [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Mate of mine has Sony ereader and my brother has Amazon Kindle ... both excellent. Had been trying to make up my mind which to get, then the iPad comes along and throws everything in the air!

I'm pretty sure the iPad doesn't have 'e-ink' like the others? So it'd be like reading from a computer screen

that seems to be the case ... but a number of reviews have said that it is still good for reading ... plus it has all the extras that a ereader does not have. That said, I will probably now do what I originally planned, ie wait for new ereaders by end of year with colour and more wifi access.

... unless I cannot wait and get the sony ereader this weekend ;-)
  • I got my iPad the day they were released and haven't put it down since. I must say, I'm reading more books on it then I thought I would.
  • Also, you can get the Kindle app to access Amazons library too.
  • [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]I got my iPad the day they were released and haven't put it down since. I must say, I'm reading more books on it then I thought I would.

Out of interest, what sort of things is it particularly useful for? And (other than reading books) what advantages does it have over a netbook/laptop?
  • edited May 2010
    Well, you have to use one to fully "get it." The multitouch is just so engaging. Web browsing is quick, easy and tactile. In terms of other apps, I use an app called evernote a lot (for computer, phone and iPad) which is a notepad that syncs across devices. I was playing Charadium a lot, which is a drawing charades app you play against strangers over the web, but now I'm addicted to the BruceLee app, a kungfu game. StarWalk is brilliant. It shows you the night sky when you hold the iPad up to the sky. You can identify even the smallest star in the cosmos. I just got a device called redeye which, along with an app, turns your iPhone and iPad into an universal remote for all the electronics in our flat. I've thoroughly ignored my laptop since I've had this, though there are times when I have to dig it out. It's not really a computer replacement (though it is that for some kinds of users), it's a new kind of thing... An Internet appliance... something. Fundamentally, its a sheet of glass that runs appliances, quick and easily. If you need email, its a communication device, want to read, its a library, want to play, its a gaming device. Near to no load times. No file structure to confuse. No windows to layer. I could go on, but really one needs to try it, touch it, to see if it will you meet your needs.
  • [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Well, you have to use one to fully "get it." The multitouch is just so engaging. Web browsing is quick, easy and tactile. In terms of other apps, I use an app called evernote a lot (for computer, phone and iPad) which is a notepad that syncs across devices. I was playing Charadium a lot, which is a drawing charades app you play against strangers over the web, but now I'm addicted to the BruceLee app, a kungfu game. StarWalk is brilliant. It shows you the night sky when you hold the iPad up to the sky. You can identify even the smallest star in the cosmos. I just got a device called redeye which, along with an app, turns your iPhone and iPad into an universal remote for all the electronics in our flat. I've thoroughly ignored my laptop since I've had this, though there are times when I have to dig it out. It's not really a computer replacement (though it is that for some kinds of users), it's a new kind of thing... An Internet appliance... something. Fundamentally, its a sheet of glass that runs appliances, quick and easily. If you need email, its a communication device, want to read, its a library, want to play, its a gaming device. Near to no load times. No file structure to confuse. No windows to layer. I could go on, but really one needs to try it, touch it, to see if it will you meet your needs.

Lookie any idea if the CAFC TV player works on the iPad? Particularly the radio commentary..........
  • The start of another industry going down the pan
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Well, you have to use one to fully "get it." The multitouch is just so engaging. Web browsing is quick, easy and tactile. In terms of other apps, I use an app called evernote a lot (for computer, phone and iPad) which is a notepad that syncs across devices. I was playing Charadium a lot, which is a drawing charades app you play against strangers over the web, but now I'm addicted to the BruceLee app, a kungfu game. StarWalk is brilliant. It shows you the night sky when you hold the iPad up to the sky. You can identify even the smallest star in the cosmos. I just got a device called redeye which, along with an app, turns your iPhone and iPad into an universal remote for all the electronics in our flat. I've thoroughly ignored my laptop since I've had this, though there are times when I have to dig it out. It's not really a computer replacement (though it is that for some kinds of users), it's a new kind of thing... An Internet appliance... something. Fundamentally, its a sheet of glass that runs appliances, quick and easily. If you need email, its a communication device, want to read, its a library, want to play, its a gaming device. Near to no load times. No file structure to confuse. No windows to layer. I could go on, but really one needs to try it, touch it, to see if it will you meet your needs.

Lookie any idea if the CAFC TV player works on the iPad? Particularly the radio commentary..........

possibly not ... iPad does not support Adobe Flash and I believe that is required for CAFC Player?
  • Sponsored links:

• No, Cafc Player doesn't work.
  • edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Well, you have to use one to fully "get it." The multitouch is just so engaging. Web browsing is quick, easy and tactile. In terms of other apps, I use an app called evernote a lot (for computer, phone and iPad) which is a notepad that syncs across devices. I was playing Charadium a lot, which is a drawing charades app you play against strangers over the web, but now I'm addicted to the BruceLee app, a kungfu game. StarWalk is brilliant. It shows you the night sky when you hold the iPad up to the sky. You can identify even the smallest star in the cosmos. I just got a device called redeye which, along with an app, turns your iPhone and iPad into an universal remote for all the electronics in our flat. I've thoroughly ignored my laptop since I've had this, though there are times when I have to dig it out. It's not really a computer replacement (though it is that for some kinds of users), it's a new kind of thing... An Internet appliance... something. Fundamentally, its a sheet of glass that runs appliances, quick and easily. If you need email, its a communication device, want to read, its a library, want to play, its a gaming device. Near to no load times. No file structure to confuse. No windows to layer. I could go on, but really one needs to try it, touch it, to see if it will you meet your needs.

Cheers for that. Sounds interesting, although at the moment perhaps more a luxury type device than something with essential practical applications. I think I'll wait and see what they do with it next before I consider buying one
  • What's the cost of Ereader, Kindle, and IPad ........ and what sizes, etc?
  • Having spent a lot of time comparing Kindle and Sony Touch Reader, have decided to go for Kindle primarily due to global wireless capability. iPad is being delayed yet again so will probably get that later in the year ... but as Lookie has pointed out, I will not use it as an ereader, functionality is better suited to other apps.

Oggy - Kindle is either 6" ($259) or 9.7" screen ($489), has to be ordered from Amazon US so attracts additional $70 or so shipping cost and import duty.
    Sony Touch Reader (6") is £250 or thereabouts although you can get the Pocket edition (5") for £179.

iPad (9.7"), likely to be between £400 - £800 depending on storage size.
  • Just ordered the Kindle, should be arriving by end of next week ... will let you know what it is like.
  • Press release from Apple today on the pricing of the iPad. Get ready to wipe your eyes in disbelief.

http://www.apple.com/uk/pr/library/2010/05/07ipad.html
  • Anyone got the new Kindle 3 yet?
  • [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]Anyone got the new Kindle 3 yet?

have one on it's way for my birthday but won't get to see it for a few weeks yet.
  • I'll probably be going for a Kindle DX in the near future.

The prices of the ipads are just plain silly (for what is basically IMO an iphone without the phone and the camera!).

The only things that p*sses me off about the Kindle on Amazon UK ist that only UK residents can purchase things from the store. As I live in Luxembourg I'll have to get everything from the States. Why can't I buy an e-book from Amazon, when I can buy any number of books from Amazon normally?
  • I have a kindle on order but not sure if I will get it before I go on holiday on 19th which will be a pain as will have to carry books
  • Sponsored links:

• been told by the wife mine should arrive morrow and I am allowed to check it works prior to it being shut away for my birthday. i will post my initial thoughts for those still unsure.
  • My Kindle is arriving next week - been waitring ages for them to become available in the UK. I used to take 7+ paperbacks on holiday - not sure what to do with the extra baggage allowancefor the next hols.
  • I am sure the wife can fill that space with shoes and hand-bags ;o)
  • have now checked out the kindle.

It is a very nice looking peice of kit. the e-ink makes it very easy to read and page turns were very quick to redraw themselves.

Downloaded a couple of free books to test it out and download was quick over wifi and over 3g.

I was surprised at how thin/light it was although I would suggest that getting a case for it is vital.

mine is now hidden away till my birthday.
  • I got my kindle this week - really impressed - really easy on the eyes
  • Can you browse the internet on the kindle ?
    Getting the 3g for my birthday
  • edited September 2010
    I was thinking of purchasing a kindle but only if I could download Neal Stephenson books - His books are printed in a small font size and every page is packed. Thought the kindle would help with the ease of reading large books such as he's but it would seem they have yet to kindle his triology (or what ever the terminology is).
  • So annoying that there isn't a common format for these eBooks.