Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Would a tournament of League representative sides be worth watching?

So a Premier League 11 against teams from all the european nations. Obviously ours and Spains would end up a lot more cosmopolitan than most but maybe it would be good to see which league IS the best in europe - maybe even do it on a world level

It could be run every other summer so as not to clash with major tournaments.

I think it would be cool especially to break up the boring summer months - you could do it straight after the regular season ends therefore not really eating into the players holidays too much.

I think competition would be fierce to get into the squads and I think it would be good to have players from rival teams and nations working together on the same team - the Premier League Representative Team

What say ye

Comments

• Options
    Italy would probably just play their world cup winning team.
  • Options
    Where would it fit into the already crowded schedules?

If it was on Sky and played in the far or middle east then maybe it would be a goer but the clubs wouldn't be happy as they want their big names stars playing for them in overseas friendlies as it's those names that bring in the money.

What you might be left with is a second rate set of players (Giggs/Rooney/Torres/Drogba/etc will all suddenly be injured) and so make it all a bit meaningless IMHO.

Sky would still big it up but I doubt the Premier League or Sky want to test if the PL is the Best In the World as they so often claim. If the PL team loses then what? Watch the German League on ESPN instead?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Italy would probably just play their world cup winning team.

Even though the best side in Italy doesn't feature a single Italian player?
  • Options
    I think it would obviously be enjoyable to watch, but I'm not sure the results would prove which league is the best in Europe. As Rodney states, being able to field almost your entire national side could give one league a big advantage.
  • Options
    Could imagine it being an insurance nightmare
  • Options
    Spain would have the nucleus of the Barca side plus Alonso, Ronaldo, Kaka and Villa. They'd take some stopping.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Spain would have the nucleus of the Barca side plus Alonso, Ronaldo, Kaka and Villa. They'd take some stopping.

I'd fancy Essien and Fletcher to do a decent spoiling job
  • Options
    in principle it would be great to watch but no Prem club would allow their players to play in case they got injured...you just have to listen to the likes of Wenger & Fergie moaining about players getting injured playing for THEIR COUNTRY to see how this could never get off the ground sadly.