Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Start Cheering for the Hammers

I know it sounds strange but, look, fact is we are now 90% doomed. Not only are we crap but we are also about as attractive to any new players as a bout of salmonella poisoning.
So, we need to look ahead to at least one year, more likely two, in the CCC and the last thing we need is a larger rival right across the water competing for exactly the same players that we want to get back in the Prem.
Therefore, if anyone is coming down with us and Watford we need it to be Wigan or Sheff United who won't be such a big threat in the transfer market next year.
Funny thing is I was in the pub here in Brissie with a West Ham supporting mate when they beat Preston 1-0 in the POF and I knew it was a terrible result for Charlton because we had a slightly bigger rival now competing for the same players but with more money to spend.
Look at the players West Ham have signed in front of us, Mears, Bowyer and Green for starters and there was a lot of speculation that they beat us to Gabbidon, Collins, Reo-Coker and Mullins as well when they were in the CCC.
So, although it might stick in the craw a little, we should probably cross our fingers that Curbs gets them out of it because we don't want them nicking the best CCC players in the summer.

Comments

• Options
    Well I reckon we're only 75% doomed, so I will be cheering us on I'm afraid.
  • Options
    totallt agree Addicted,it's not over yet and no matter how bad things get i will never cheer for them dirty,2 bob,jellied eel eating,scumbags......NEVER
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: browny[/cite]totallt agree Addicted,it's not over yet and no matter how bad things get i will never cheer for them dirty,2 bob,jellied eel eating,scumbags......NEVER
    Never say Never browny. What'll you do if they end up getting Palace in the cup at some point?
  • Options
    worry about it if/when it happens,should worry about gettin behind our boys and fcuk the booing off as it don't help any 1,never been a believer of cheering for another team apart from my own.I know every team has their local rivals but if we spent less time singing anti palace n millwall songs and turned them into pro Charlton songs,the atmosphere would be alot better,and please stay till the end of the game,if your gonna leave every time a team are beating us by 2 goals you may aswell stay at home.Will be interesting to see how many people renew their season tkts if we go down.I remember goin to Stoke away in the worthington cup several years back and there was 60 of us there,so come on and get behind the lads,we need you more now than ever before.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    If I want to leave early I will - doesn't make me less of a fan. And it doesn't mean I wont be renewing next year.
  • Options
    calm down,im not singling you out but where i sit every time time we go 1 or 2 goals down,people either start booooooooooing or fcuk off home
  • Options
    I know you're not singling me out mate. And I'm calm - honest!
  • Options
    sweet,good nite m8
  • Options
    People, take a look at our centre midfield: Matt Holland and Darren Ambrose. Sure they raised it for the Fulham and Villa games but once normality returns we are so far short in the middle of the park, where 99% of games are won and lost that its just not funny.
    Anyone who thinks that we are staying up from here has rocks in their head, pure and simple. Curbs left us with a shite squad, Dowie made it worse and by the time Pardew arrived it was too late to do anything about it.
    Can anyone really see that shower of shit getting at least another TWENTY SIX points to make us safe? Come on.
    Like I say, we must face reality and say that if we do go down then the last thing we need is Curbs signing all the best south-eastern CCC players for the Hammers because if its a choice between us and them then there is only one winner.
  • Options
    i agree with ormiston in the fact that when we go down you'd rather be challenging sheff utd /wigan for promotion than a wealthier west ham....
    we are going down and 1to 5 looks a good bet to me .....
    i left early for the first time in 25 years yesterday due to the sheer frustration in the fact that we are quite simply not good enough
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ormiston,I agree and was thinking the same before I read your posting.We are down barring miracles and to get back up we need to play weaker opposition next year.So whilst I'm not cheering for W Ham it is surely better for us if they stay up and Wigan or Sheff U get relegated.
  • Options
    What on earth makes you think we'll be challenging for promotion next year?
  • Options
    Hope.

Belief that we have got a decent manager who 12 months time would of shaped the squad nearer to how he wants it.
  • Options
    I had to leave after the third goal yesterday cause I was feeling really ill.

Anyway, we are going up, Pards will spend well in the summer, and build a squad to get us up playing a good brand of football.

Al Al Super Al!
  • Options
    Any quality players at the club will get their £20k - £30k somewhere else. Even if we want to keep them we can't afford them. I do have faith in Pardew. When he went to West Ham he had even worse problems to contend with. Whether we'll get the same money for JFH or Marcus Bent that Pardew got for Defoe and Carrick is another matter. But his experience at West Ham will stand him in good sted. Hopefully he'll know what it takes to get us out of the division. I just think it will take him at least two years to turn it around.
  • Options
    I would suspect most players have relegation clauses in there contracts meaning they take a pay cut, or f off.

Hopefully in most cases it'll be to f off
  • Options
    Apparently Fat Matt Le Tissier commented after our game 'After seeing todays performance how many of Charltons team would other Premiership clubs want to buy'

Diawarra?!!!

God, it's depressing.
  • Options
    Can't make his mind up can he.

As for Soccer Saturday, I'm lost all respect for the pundits on there
  • Options
    Glad to see that there are some people out there thinking along the same lines I am, being realistic is a bit depressing sometimes but you have to look at the facts as they are not as you would like them to be.
    Pardew has spent 4 years in the CCC in his career and had led his team to the PO's four times out of four, that's a top record in such a tough division.
    For my money, next year could be a bit of a transition year but in the following year Pards will have us on all cylinders burning and we will be ready to come back.
  • Options
    I don't want to spoil the relegation party and all that - and maybe I am one of those with rocks in my head.
    But my heart says stay with the fight.

Sure, at the moment we've a mountain to climb and we'll need the proverbial miracle to stay up. But things can still change. As it stands, a couple of wins and we can be right back in the mix.

A couple of new players, Youngy & Dazzler to come back, and a surprise result, it's still very much in our own hands.

But let's not be so limp and lily-livered. I can't believe people just give up so easily and can't get behind the team.
    Pardew can't seem to believe it either. He wanted a grandstand finish but, let's face it, half the crowd was silent and the rest were already on their way home.

Things can change. It's still in our own hands.

There's other teams out there like Villa and Wigan who can't get a win for love nor money.
    Who's next to go in freefall or a 'Charlton-esque' end of season slump?

Don't forget, there is still lot of football to be played this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting that we give up the ghost completely but we have to be realistic and say that any team that loses 3-1 at home to Boro are not looking great odds to escape the drop.
    The problem is simply a lack of quality at this level and being in the position we are in we are going to find it very, very tough to attract anyone of serious quality with ambition to come to the club.
    I was just looking at an old programme and saw our team for the 2-2 draw at Spurs in December 2002, our midfield was Parker, Jensen and Euell - all now at other Premiership clubs and PROVEN Premiership class.
    Our defence was Young, Rufus, Fish, Rowett and Powell - all (at the time) PROVEN Premiership defenders.
    Granted our attack was lightweight with Barts and Lisbie but at least they put themselves about a bit.
    What do we have now in comparison? How many Premiership rivals would sign ANY of our players outside Benty and Young as FIRST CHOICE players?
    We have somehow gone backwards in terms of the quality of our squad despite spending a lot of money on the likes of Hughes, Elk, Faye, Diawara, Traore, Marcus Bent, Rommedahl, Ambrose et al.
  • Options
    I've a feeling that if relegated we could be down for a couple of seasons while Pardew gets the team sorted out and gets shot of the dross and brings in some new blood.

If relegated who would I keep from the current set up? Thatcher, Reid, Ambrose, JT, some of the younger players - Sankosa, Sam, Walton etc, maybe Diawara and that's it. Darren Bent and Luke Young I'd sell, JFH and Marcus Bent I'd release into the care of the community along with Romm, that's an awful lot of rebuilding that needs doing and to gel as a team and squad will take time. Our last season in Division One we had a good squad, had a good strikers and only sold Danny Mills from the team that was relegated, this time around far more extensive surgery is required.
  • Options
    Yeah, you're bang on there but don't forget Pardew completely re-built West Ham and took them from relegation to an FAC Final and 9th in the Prem within three years. Did a similar job with Reading too, I think.
    So, we have the best possible man in charge.
    Being fair though, and I know the man has his faults, but how good is Harry Redknapp? If we wanted someone to get us out of the CCC and he was available then he would be the best choice, problem is that Murray would not get on with him at all. Can't fault the man's footballing nouse though.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

But let's not be so limp and lily-livered. I can't believe people just give up so easily and can't get behind the team.
    Pardew can't seem to believe it either. He wanted a grandstand finish but, let's face it, half the crowd was silent and the rest were already on their way home.

Things can change. It's still in our own hands.

There's other teams out there like Villa and Wigan who can't get a win for love nor money.
    Who's next to go in freefall or a 'Charlton-esque' end of season slump?

Don't forget, there is still lot of football to be played this season.

Agree with your sentiments Oggy, but please don't think that though some may already of accepted relegation, they won't still be fighting with every kick. When Boro went 2-1, you could visablly see it drain out of every single player. You can't help the crowd for adopting a similar feeling. I think in general the crowd have been supportive throughout this season.

As for 'accepting relegation', i see it as almost a formality now and am trying to put a positive spin on it, on two fronts. Firstly, we have 6-7 first team players who are simply not good enough at this level, or past their peak. We need a major rebuilding job that will involve gelling a whole new side. The Premier League is simply to cut-throat to be able to gel a new side, and we won't have the funds to buy that extra bit of quality. We will have more chance long-term in gelling a decent side if we drop.

Secondly, even if we do perform a miracle and stay up, and no one will be more pleased than me, the liklihood is it would be another struggling season, and i really don't think a large chunk of the crowd could stomach another season of sturggle. Just my view.
  • Options
    So what you're basically saying AKFA is we need to take 1 step back to take 2 forward in the long run. Go down and hopefully come back up a better side.
  • Options
    Selling Bent and the parachute money will enable the club to keep whoever they want since this will be £20-25M equalling the missing sky money. This only works if everyone (and I don't count the 3-4000 premier league fans) keeps turning up AND we bounce back at the first attempt.

And then there's the question of whether players want to stay - JFH is gone and Lisbie is in his last year but only Henry might know who can force an exit. And Carson is unlikely to sign.

On West Ham I hope they go down as the pressure and disillusionment will be alot greater over there than here. Long term we have to learn to compete with them for fans, academy players and signings.

We will come back on our own merits and as someone said Pardew has 100% record of finishing in the top 6 - His first move on the squad has been excellant - Thatcher in for Traore and he is £500K up! As Les Reid said in the programme the squad lacks balance - personnally I rate Romm, Thomas, ElK and Diawara - I have consistently said we need quality in central midfielsd and another striker or two.
  • Options
    I agree with AKFA and what we need to do is target good quality young championship players.We have only done it once Darren Bent and look at results.Reading have done this and assembled a quality squad full of hunger and Steve Bruce has started to do this at Birmingham after getting his fingers burned with the older prima donas.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]So what you're basically saying AKFA is we need to take 1 step back to take 2 forward in the long run. Go down and hopefully come back up a better side.

Effectively, yes.

It sounds a stupid and risky strategy, considering the money that is on offer next season, but i don't particularly feel the money would benefit us that much. We would remain an unattractive proposition in comparison to all the other clubs getting the same funds as us, so it would still be unlikely we would attract the targets we would want.

Financially, i feel we are already well stretched, with a wage bill that is spiralling out of control, and a number of key components in that wage bill not performing. We've allowed our house to get out of order, and it needs a good spring clean. If we dropped, so would our transfer targets, but we would become an attractive proposition to the next tier on the view we were likely to have a season challenging towards the top of the championship. If we could get the right policy that Pardew had at West Ham, getting good young 'promising' talent, that would benefit from a year at Championship level (like Reo Cocker did), then long-term it would be a benefit.

I also think the supporters are generally sick of struggle, trying to nick points and fearing that everytime a team attacks they are going to score. We have been out of the habit of winning games, or putting any form of run together for a long-time, and there are a few of us that would simply like to see us win a few games again.

Of course, the worry is we would go down and struggle again, but i've belief that Pardew is a canny manager and that won't be the case.
  • Options
    Thanks for your considered reply, AFKA, and appreciate your opinions, although I still can't quite fathom why the crowd get behind the team when all is going reasonably well, but just go silent the moment we have a setback.......at the very point when they can lift the team spirit out there and make all the difference.

At other clubs, the roar is deafening in adversity and often retrieves a lost cause. But at The Valley, the crowd sit in abject silence or just go home. It's a real confidence boost for the opposition. And we expect our team to be inspired by that?

In the last 2 years, both West Brom and Portsmouth have pulled off miraculous escapes after looking dead and buried in MARCH - and thanks to us, Palace only missed their miracle by 8 minutes. Look at the excitement and cliff-hanging suspense as they climaxed their seasons. We've all that, well and truly, still to play for. At this stage, you're only down if you throw in the towel.

The team that played against Boro was hardly the strongest we have at the club and within a few weeks could quite likely be very different. Just a week ago, nobody knew that Ben Thatcher would be signing - who else in the next 2 weeks could be joining and changing the whole outlook of the team? Plus, assuming they are not sold, Young & Bent - and we may very well see Walton & ZZ make all the difference in midfield.

Despite everything, we still probably have a better chance of avoiding relegation this year than being promoted next season. Ask our 'friends' at Palace, for example, and listen to what they say.

And, as I said before, there is still a lot of football to be played.
  • Options
    AFKA - While I respect your optimism we need to look at this realistically. Whilst West Ham are spending mega bucks on a proven Premiership player Boa-Morte and even looking at the likes of Smertin, Wright-Philips and others we are probably pinning our hopes on an untested Chinaman and an 19 year-old who could not get a game at Leeds in the CCC!!!!
    Mate, our midfield is so sub-standard that it is just not funny and we have simply not replaced players of the class of Parker, Jensen, Stuart and Euell with anything like that quality. Fair enough with Murphy which was not our fault but Smertin was only ever on loan and look at the rest of the crap we brought in, Hughes, Ambrose, Faye, Pouso and so on - they don't even come close to replacing the players we lost.