Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Reaction vs, Swindon - 2nd Leg

WSSWSS
edited May 2010 in General Charlton
If you can muster some views, can we please put them all here - however they might hurt.

Comments

• Options
    Gutted

That is all.
  • Options
    Gutted. But proud of them tonight.

Gutted for Bailey. But mostly, gutted for me.
  • Options
    Tears almost in my eyes.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Can't think straight right now....where do we go from here....how many more times are we going to be kicked in the teeth...it's been too many seasons now.
    We deserved to win a trip to Wembley tonight............... no question.
  • Options
    My old man watched it at home and said he could hear our arsehole fall out from Bexleyheath. Just a mixed bag of emotions at the moment. Thought we played some nice football in patches, the second goal a highlight of that.

However, i thought Swindon were a bad side when we play them with 9 men in december, and they confirmed it tonight. They will get spanked at Wembley. Their black left back is the worst player ive seen down the valley this season. If we cant beat a side like that by two goals then we dont deserve to go up.

Still, not a time to start picking holes in performances cos i thought each player really cared tonight.

Charlton till i die and all that.....
  • Options
    so near and yet so far , just couldn't kill it off .....
    feel gutted for bailey , pony pass he gave away for swindon goal and poor penalty effort but that's probably his lot in a charlton shirt
    never felt we'd win the penalties cos we'd used up all our penalty good luck in 1998

on next season i have us 5% relegation 90% stay in this league 5% play off and 0% automatics;-(
  • Options
    Kyle Reid, man of the match, an absolutely exceptional shift and the best player on the pitch. Could barely walk off when he got subbed, didn't stop all game, gutted that we won't see him in a Charlton shirt again. Shows what an effective winger can do on his game.

I'm not going to slag Lloyd Sam off, didn't turn up again today though in my opinion. Frustration isn't the word. Kyle Reid was also double marked before anyone comes back with that. Wagstaff was slightly less ineffective but not a patch on Reid.

Dailly was solid, wish he went for that challenge instead of Llera, didn't have a good view of the challenge but it looked like it should of been a straight red.

Thought Bailey had a good game, battled hard, at fault for their goal maybe, espeically when Reid has so much space on his wing but what can you do. Penalties are a lottery and luck based and he got unlucky. We wouldn't of got anywhere near the playoffs if it wasn't for some of his goals and performances so i'm not going to slag him off. Had words with a couple of blokes on the bus who would old enough to know better who claimed they wanted to 'stab up Bailey' for his performances tonight. With fans like that behind you Bailey, get out and good luck with wherever you end up in the summer.

Semedo was solid and looked a class above, felt Racon made a difference when he came on, I can't see those two staying in the summer so good luck to them as well.

Mooney did well, especially for his second goal, good finish. Ran about a lot and tried to link, certainly no more ineffective than his replacement Forster who was unlucky with his chance as well in extra time and did well to create it.

Wish they kept 11 men on the pitch, that was the turning point for me, typical Charlton, gain the advantage and capitulate. Felt we were the better team and deserved to go through.

Il be there next season no matter what happens in the summer, just hope we give ourselves a chance at promotion next season and there arn't too many drastic changes.
  • Options
    To be honest, i thought i'd feel more gutted and angry than i actually do.

You can nit-pick, find key moments in the game you would do differently etc, but at the end of the day it just wasn't meant to be. As someone else said earlier, 'how many more lumps can this club take out of us?'. And it does feel like that, it feels as if the club is cursed and we are all destined to suffer with it. You average Premiership fan has no idea what it is like to support a club that will habitually struggle and kick you in the teeth for something like 90% of its existance.

Despite the scoreline going wrong, i can take a step back and say that i still enjoyed watching a cracking game of football, tremendous drama in a fantastic atmosphere.

I worry about where this club can go from here, but that's for another day. I'm sure Leeds said the same when they cocked up last season, and look at them now.
  • Options
    We got ourselves into a great position and threw it away. No point in posting negatives now as people don't wanna hear it.
  • Options
    i thought lloyd sam was defensively impressive tonight, admittedly he isn't in the team for that but i thought he worked his socks off and i know given the choice of lloyd sam or scott wagstaff playing regularly next season who i'd prefer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought Deon was remarkable tonight, some of his hold-up play was Premiership class and he never stopped running. Never doubted him scoring his penalty either.

Quite gutted for Bailey, as pissed off I was with him losing the ball for their goal when Reid was a ridiculously easy option and that pointless roulette turn, to say he got stuck in was a bit of an understatement, at least he didn't Kermogrant it.
  • Options
    would just like to say i thought Deon Burton was magnificent tonight. Yes he had a chance to win it at the end, but his hold up play and workrate was unbelievable. Dont think he lost a header all night.
  • Options
    cant be arsed for the blame game just gutted.Due to having to get others tickets didn't get to watch the game with my son & daughter.Decided to go and stand with them for the pens.As the players went off at the end one complete C**t stood them throwing abuse at Mooney. Why he scored played well & wasn't even on the pitch for the pens.He said it was his fault this season as he had been shite.I told him to go forth and multiply and would suggest he moves seats next season as if i have to listen to his bollocks again i will fucking swing for him.I thought semedo and dailly were immense tonite and racon looked good when he came on.I would definately give dailly a new contract,the rest wont be here,We are going to be in this league at best for many a year,shame how we have fallen,but ill be back next year.Charlton till i die
  • Options
    Gutted but it wasn't to be.

Thought Llera was right to bring Austin down as I reckon he would've scored thus making game over.

Dailly was superb, oldest player out there and he looked the fittest.

2nd half we did what everyone knew we shouldn't of done and that was sit back

4th season of disappointment, whatever happens next season I'm just hoping for some good news at the end of it...
  • Options
    Upset. Probably won't sleep tonight, but you get hardened to events like this after supporting the club for 20 years so I'm coping slightly better than expected. I put it down to experience.

I think we used up a great deal of our luck with penalties in 1998 to be honest. Saying that, all of the penalties were excellent except one.

We had numerous chances to win more convincingly, and couldn't get that extra vital goal. That has been said lots of times this season, and it enforces the fact we simply weren't strong enough in front of goal all season.

Proud of the players tonight - not sure why Mooney went off for Forster. That was a key decision which was wrong in my opinion. Dailly and Reid were excellent.
  • Options
    Heroes , every one . They gave their all & we really couldn't have asked for more . One mistake & they scored , which unfortunately meant Nicky was trying to make up for his error every time he touched the ball - and that included his pen Just trying too hard IMHO. Shame on those who've been ever critical of Mooney - thought he & Deon were superb up front & Christian & Jose the rocks behind them. And the fans were the 12th man the Manager wanted - absolutely fantastic.

Of course I'm down but if I'm honest, I thought we'd struggle to recreate that memorable day at Wembley 12 years ago. As BDL said, keep the faith . We know there are difficult days ahead and can only put our faith in the Board to do what has to be done , and believe we shall have our day in the sun again before too long.

For me, tonight's massive disappointment was put into perspective when on the way back home, my daughter received a text telling her that a long term friend from school had lost her Mum this evening after a long, bravely fought battle with cancer. She will never see the twin babies her daughter is carrying which makes it even more poignant.

It may take a week or two but we will swallow our disappointment & come back stronger. That's what Charltobn supporters do, isn't it ?
  • Options
    Thought when we held out for the first 15 of the second half we had done it. Some credit needs to go to Swindon (rather than criticising us sitting back) - they attacked down the wings against our tiring full backs and it worked well.

Just gutted, thought we had scored at least three times in extra time. All small margins.

CTID.
  • Options
    Completely disgusting support at some points tonight. Singing when we needed a goal and foot off the pedal when we were ok... and people wonder why the team did the same

Burton and Reid very impressive from my point of view, gutted for Bailey
  • Options
    Have wrote this post twice now! Just totally sick. God know's where we go from here if the rumours are true.
  • Options
    i cant give any credit to swindon, and thats not out of spite, i think they are a bad bad side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Copied from another thread:

We had a chance to kill the game off against 10 men but couldn't take it.
    Add in a bit of Keystone Cops play which led to their goal and it all just about sums up the story of our season.

Can't fault the effort or commitment of any of them tonight, but in the end we just fell a bit short on quality when it really mattered.

Let's hope for some good news/a miracle on the financial situation over the summer, but as long the club is still there we'll all be back for more next season.
  • Options
    Gutted and empty, already half way through a bottle of gin and only got home 15 min ago.

Bitterly disappointed as really believed we would do it, that and we were by far the betta team over th two legs, but if you cant put away even 10% of your chances then really do you deserve to go through??. Still i'll be there next season and gonna try get more away games aswell, only managed 5 this yr, god knows what that will entail though, in my very quiet drive home was thinking whos gonna be left next yr, of that starting 11 dont think we'll have more than 3 players llera/burton/randolph next yr oh and expect and hope that parky will stay, really think he's done well halting the downward spiral we've been on for 4 yrs.

Still proud to be Charlton and peversly looking forward to preseason friendlys and the start of a new season
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Completely disgusting support at some points tonight.

Harsh mate, sat in the East tonight instead of the North Upper, and believe me, the crowd were fantastic.
  • Options
    Gutted.

I had a horrible premonition feeling in my gut just before Bailey took his pen & was unfortunately proved right.

I think Llera was totally right to take the Swindon guy down & "take one for the team" - with only a few mins to go it would've been all over if they'd scored.

Just gotta hope & pray we're not as financially screwed as I fear we are.....
  • Options
    i know the board will do what they have to do but hope,we can have some openess from they however nasty it is going to be. We need to pull together from top to bottom.If we are going to have to go into admin,let's get is done and dusted and start again.
  • Options
    Proud but a little numb
  • Options
    Great effort from fans and players tonight I thought we were the better side but we didn't win and that's what counts.
    Absolutely gutted....
  • Options
    The crowd looked and sounded great on TV.

For me the moment it turned was the Liera red card. It should have been yellow, Dailly was covering. Swindon got a tremendous lift from that. And for the first time the whole night, I thought we werent going to make it.

Beyond that, I'm too exhausted and sad to comment for now.
  • Options
    So many questions to be answerd, parky staying? Admin next season? Bailey and others off? Just can't even to start what not going up this season will do to us. Just can't understand how brilliant we've played last 5 or 6 games why we didn't play like that for the whole season. Dailly must be captain next season if wier at rangers is still going at 40 no reason why he can't, basey back fully fit, some liverpool 'wonderkids' and a decent striker who can bag 20 plus and we will be there or there abouts next term. Not worried about sheff weds peterbrough nor bournemouth or rochdale, saints will be up there so up to us to bounce back and do it properly like leeds did this season.
  • Options
    Watching on TV from Australia, I think the players and the fans did all they could tonight. It was the right starting 11 and the substitutions all made sense.

Just not to be.

I think we are now right back to where I started with Charlton in the early 70's, although of course we have a fantastic stadium and we have been through the Battle For The Valley.

Semedo my man of the match.