Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Perspective

DA9DA9
edited May 2010 in General Charlton
Lets see......

Some of the highest fuel prices on record.

The banks are not lending.

The economy needs pulling back from the brink.

Unemployment is up.

Thousands of gallons of oil are pouring into the Gulf Of Mexico endangering bird, sea life and the environment for years to come.

88 year old grandmothers are viciously murdered 100 yards from the Valley.

People's long hard saved for holidays are in danger due to the ash cloud.

The ash cloud and its environmental impact.

People are dying in Thailand demonstrations.

Greece is on the verge of collapse.

Terrorists are still planting bombs in major cities.

103 people die in Lybian air crash.

Baby battered to death in Bexleyheath.

Tax is probably going to go up.

Charlton lose a football match....................................................................................

Perspective please.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for reminding me how crap life is!

:-)
  • Options
    You can always rely on Charlton to cheer you up when you're feeling down.
  • Options
    Thanks... as if I wasn't depressed enough.
  • Options
    In all seriousness, the commentators at the start of the game said that the Charlton mascot last night, a young lad, had a serious illness that needed life-saving surgery that is only available in the US.

That poor kid's family know what real tragedy and heartbreak is, the rest of us really don't have much of a clue if truth be told.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Picked up my new car on Saturday

Sun is out and summer is coming

Going to be a dad for the first time this summer, with twins on the way

Have a great family and fantastic friends

Have really enjoyed this season down at Charlton. Have made some fantastic friendships over the last few years and genuinely look forward to seeing the boys and girls before the game and on the concourses.

The Valley is year by year feeling more like my 2nd home.

So we didn't get promoted, so what ? I go not for the glory or the results, but to see friends and family, have a drink, a laugh, a sing song, watch a game at a place where i feel like i belong. And that isn't going to change next season, nor whatever division we play in.

We'll feel crap for a couple of days but at the end of the day, its only a game.

As DA9 and Ormy point out, there are a lot more important things in life to get beat up about.
  • Options
    good post!
  • Options
    AFKA, congratulations to you and your wife. Must have missed that elsewhere.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]In all seriousness, the commentators at the start of the game said that the Charlton mascot last night, a young lad, had a serious illness that needed life-saving surgery that is only available in the US.

That poor kid's family know what real tragedy and heartbreak is, the rest of us really don't have much of a clue if truth be told.

Ormiston all the details are here if you hadnt heard about Adams appeal since before last night. he was also at the Leeds game. Good publicity for their fundraising last night and looks like lots of money is going in.

Still well done again to the £100,000 donor!

mascot
  • Options
    feckin hell smudge i didn't know that, that has cheered me right up nice one son good luck to you and the missus.You can moderate whilst doing the night feeds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Going to be a dad for the first time this summer, with twins on the way...... Afka Bartram....

Good luck mate, as a father of twin sons who are 21, you will not have a boring time!

Must admit that as much as I love watching Charlton, seeing your own kids playing football is in a league of it's own......
  • Options
    I don't disagree that there is a hell of a lot worse going on in the world than our small troubles however I do disagree that this is only a game. Football may only be a game for those who play it now and then and watch it on TV. For the majority of us following our team means a lot of our hard earned cash, a lot of time and travelling hundreds of miles to in the end wind up feeling this bad. That to me is more than a game.
  • Options
    cheers Large, NSS, Ken, excitedly scared !
  • Options
    well done mate .
  • Options
    Twins mate - many congratulations
  • Options
    Sums it up nicely AFKA, good post.
    Congrats on all the good news in your life mate, twins should keep you more than occupied so you will have your hands full.
  • Options
    good post up there afka, aslong as we've got a club!

Well done on the twins :)
  • Options
    Well played Smudge. The first 16 years are the worst, then they discover booze and the opposite sex!
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited May 2010
    Congratulations AFKA perfect post as well.

As disappointed as I was last night, it was an epic football experience to be a part of, and I was thrilled by the whole thing, well until the end anyway. Fantastic club and fans.
  • Options
    Congrats AFKA!

Have to admit, that has to be one of our best seasons out of the last few years, shame that the future doesn't look to bright.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Congrats Afka...

You could add to the perspective list that March 51 is ill in hospital.

Any Charlton fan of anything more than a few seasons has experienced enough ups and downs. Last night's match mirrored the season in a way, a great start, dominating the match and in the driving seat. After the break we were unable to kill the game off, committed a blunder by allowing Ward to score and then unable to go through when it mattered.
  • Options
    Dan - I thought that was you - Congrats mate and boy your life will change!! ;-)

For those that have read about Adam Bird (@Adamsappeal on Twitter and Adamsappeal.org) we're hoping to have a quiz night at the Valley soon to raise some funds for the lad. He is one hell of a character.

Don't forget we didn't lose the match last night. We lost the penalty shoot out.

And if any of my knuckle dragging Millsmall supporting cousins try and ring me again with their stupid jokes, well..............
  • Options
    congrats AFKA ....hope for your sake it's boys, for mum's sake girls or one of each!
  • Options
    I went to bed last night feeling miserable, woke up this morning feeling miserable, went to work feeling miserable then had the honour of hearing Matt King speak at a lunch I was at and came out feeling inspired. That is what true life is about and puts everything into perspective. Footy is a game, as is rugby. tradgedy is not losing it is the accidents that happen...anyone feeling miserable - i suggest you either read the article below or watch the You Tube link. Quite an amazing chap.

http://www.varietyclub.org.uk/news/245/matt-king-the-boy-who-never-gave-up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZfuTKN9TVk
  • Options
    Cheers BDL, got a bit choked up when I heard that at half time. Didn't know someone had did it so was a fantastic surprise. Ironic thing was that as it will be my wifes last game for a while I went over the east and sat with her last night. Any other game in the last 5 years I would have been on the concourse and would have missed it.

Ta to all the other messages, you're all very kind.
  • Options
    So we didn't get promoted, so what ? I go not for the glory or the results, but to see friends and family, have a drink, a laugh, a sing song, watch a game at a place where i feel like i belong. And that isn't going to change next season, nor whatever division we play in.

Great post AFKA ... was really busy this morning so thankfully didn't get much chance to dwell on last night ... then logged on and got depressed again ... then picked my wife, daughter, and 11 week old grandson up from Bluewater and he cheered me up again ... a future Charlton fan even though his dad is Spurs ... already has a Charlton teddy on his pram.

Back home now ... and know it will take a while to get over this, but I'm not kidding myself, I will be back next season (probably a good idea as I have already purchased the season ticket ;-) ... this is Charlton ... from day one we have always known that it is not the easiest team in the world to support ... but I can't think of any other team I would rather support. Next season ... who knows what will happen ... what I do know is that the core of fans left in that ground and on here on Charlton Life are the ones that matter. COYR

Oh, and congrats with the twins :-)
  • Options
    Congratulations AFKA!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Picked up my new car on Saturday

Sun is out and summer is coming

Going to be a dad for the first time this summer, with twins on the way

Have a great family and fantastic friends

Have really enjoyed this season down at Charlton. Have made some fantastic friendships over the last few years and genuinely look forward to seeing the boys and girls before the game and on the concourses.

The Valley is year by year feeling more like my 2nd home.

We'll feel crap for a couple of days but at the end of the day, its only a game.

As DA9 and Ormy point out, there are a lot more important things in life to get beat up about.

Great post mate... Don't agree that it's only a game though ;)
  • Options
    Congratulations to Mr & Mrs Bartram.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Good luck AFKA.

Only positive last night is that I was sat near Mrs Mark Kinsella.

It was a JT moment. . . . .

Screw perspective btw I'm miserable.