Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Well done Gary Lineker

edited May 2010 in General Charlton
Now before anyone gets too annoyed with me for saying that, hear me out. I haven't seen much on these hallowed pages about the Mail and its shit-stirring about Lord Triesman but I for one am appalled and even more disgusted than before with the rag and the pr*cks who write it. Apparently Mr Lineker does have principles after all, he has quit as a columnist in response and has been quite clear in his opion of them, which is about as storngly put as he can get without risking a lawsuit!

Well done Gary, I still don't much like you but I do now respect you at least.

Comments

• Options
    Wonder if he would have been as accomodating had walkers broke the story and plastered it all over their crisp packets.
  • Options
    I'm sure some other has been will be prepared to put their name to some pish poor ghost written column in the rag. I can imagine his disappointment in his employer suddenly printing the truth.
  • Options
    The missus refuses to eat any Walkers crisps as Lineker hinted that Stoke were boring a few months back on MOTD.

{she is a Stokie i might add}
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I have a lot of time for Lineker, ever since I refereed his lad and afterwards he came over and congratulated me on a good game, which obviously he didn't have to. He was a really nice bloke as well, especially as the parents are normally the troublesome part of refereeing! As for his missus, I'm not normally 1 to check out the mums but Phwoar!

Anyway the fact he's willing to make a gesture such at this (even if it won't be known to most of the public) has reinforced that view. Imo The Mail were bang out of order in recording it in the first place, and as for printing it, they made a massive error. Not that they did before, but no sensible football fan will buy it now, pretty much ruined the bid.

Btw I did hear that the News of the World turned down the story for the reason that they thought they'd be seen as unpatriotic. Surely that says something!
  • Options
    Englands greatest 'goalscorer'. Mans a Legend and my hero. God knows how many times i watched Gary Linekers 48 goals for England on VHS growing up.
  • Options
    There is a story about this already. Gary Lineker bloody great England player but as a man an arrogant prick. But for once he did something right. I hate the Daily Hate Mail and Scum on Sunday. So well done Gary but he might feel nervous about a few stories they may print on him. especially after he used to lecture Will C about his naughty goings on... we all know who.
  • Options
    Why is he an arrogant prick curb_it? Obviously not trying to call you out, just interested as to what you have heard!
  • Options
    I thought he was right to do what he did. What the hell do the Mail think they are playing at? Firstly, that was a private conversation between a man and a slapper and should stay that way; secondly - did the paper think people would thank it for screwing up our chances of hosting the world cup in 2018? Nice one MoS, thanks for that.

There is quite a movement afoot to boycott the shyterag by footy fans now; although why anyone would want to buy the moronic piece of cack is beyond me.

Together with that shyte-stirring article about us that they printed the other day, I believe that the Mail can well and truly stick it up their collective orifices.
  • Options
    Few friends have mer him over the years. On phone so too long winded to explain tonight.
  • Options
    Yes well said bigste. Soon as that shite paper goes out the window the better. I was more angry sunday about this story than the charlton one. Out to do this country damage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sadly, these 'boycotts' will achieve nothing. The vast majority of people who read the Mail or Mail On Sunday can barely be described as 'human' and, in any case, most of them couldn't give a monkeys about football.
  • Options
    Allez - his son plays for Claygate Royals I think ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Sadly, these 'boycotts' will achieve nothing. The vast majority of people who read the Mail or Mail On Sunday can barely be described as 'human' and, in any case, most of them couldn't give a monkeys about football.

Dont be too quick with the cynicism. The Sun has been hurt over a long period of time by the Liverpool boycott.

This could be a good time to go after them re the Charlton article.

Oh and my Mum is a daily reader. Heaven knows I've tried. But its a drug. It preys on people like her. It has changed the way she thinks, and made her more fearful and less open minded. I hate the rag, and what it is doing to the country. Anything we can do to hurt it, I'm up for.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]Allez - his son plays for Claygate Royals I think ?

About two years ago one of them was playing for Chelsea Academy, that's who I reffed him playing for. He was playing for either their under 13s or 14s at the time if my memory is correct. Didn't look anything special, even though he was playing number 9 like his dad, so you'd think he'd have good genes! Not sure if he's still there though, so you may be right.

Heard Lineker has the reputation Curb_It described from elsewhere, but as I say, I found him a really nice guy
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Sadly, these 'boycotts' will achieve nothing. The vast majority of people who read the Mail or Mail On Sunday can barely be described as 'human' and, in any case, most of them couldn't give a monkeys about football.

Dont be too quick with the cynicism. The Sun has been hurt over a long period of time by the Liverpool boycott.

This could be a good time to go after them re the Charlton article.

Oh and my Mum is a daily reader. Heaven knows I've tried. But its a drug. It preys on people like her. It has changed the way she thinks, and made her more fearful and less open minded. I hate the rag, and what it is doing to the country. Anything we can do to hurt it, I'm up for.

Go on Prague, get a campaign started I need to get rid of some frustration and it'd be good to have a target for it
  • Options
    What scares me is when I get customers in the bar who think it's a balanced paper - honestly!

I am all fo freedom of the press, but the hatred that rag spills out means it should be banned.

After Sunday's effort I am re-doubling my efforts to persuade people not to read it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]Go on Prague, get a campaign started I need to get rid of some frustration and it'd be good to have a target for it

I've got a feeling AFKA might be working on something....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Gary Lineker bloody great England player but as a man an arrogant prick.

I'd like to put in a word for him here. The ad agency that did the Valley Party, also did the Walkers campaign with GL. Wasnt my client but all my colleagues involved said he was a gent and a pro. And in this work you get to meet some celebs who are not. For example Cilla Black.

There are people with bigger problems, but someone like Gary Linker can hardly go anywhere without being recognised, and some people are not thoughtful enough to give such people some private space. Not suggesting that was the case with your friends Curb It, but maybe sometimes GL lost his patience and had a bad day.
  • Options
    Yes have heard the Cilla stories also.

Too many people I know have met him over the years and have found him to be unapproachable and fairly rude. One example was the England training camp in Australia in early 1990 i think it was. Consistently rude to the fans and wouldnt pose with the kids when they were finishing practice on their way out. My mate had to forcibly put her son in his hands so he had no choice. Gazza couldnt give them enough of his time. Anyway that is just one example and i suppose yes being famous had its disadvantages.

But its the image portrayal of a clean family man that he gives off which irritates most. dont like the smug fecker.
  • Options
    In my previous life as media boy, I met gary many times when I would go with rory mcgrath (our client) for they think its all over. He was a bit up himself but he has evey right to had a few chats with him about playing aboard and charlton who he said he liked as a club, always nervous as when I spoke to him as he is a legend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]

Slight damage but it's still going strong and is the highest selling paper in the UK (correct me if I'm wrong.) Still great to see people stick to their principles and well done to Gary.

Personally I boycott all papers and leave it to Jon Snow to tell me the days news. Him and Krishnan "The real deal" Guru-Murthy call it right down the middle.