Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What can we learn from this season...

edited May 2010 in General Charlton
- We'll start next year with a good keeper (Randy or Eliot)?
- Bailey should have been left in the middle all year, with Semedo?
- Not having any of the league's top scorers cost us an automatic promotion place?
- Burton / Mooney, Burton / Forster, Burton / Sodje - none worked? Sodje / Forster next year?
- Dailly is immense & Youga was sorely missed?
- We need to spend the summer working on set pieces?

add away...

Comments

• Options
    Reid needs to be part of the team next season
  • Options
    if 4-4-2 goes stale, switch back to 4-5-1 occasionaly.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Experience and know how is key:

Norwich- Holt, Doherty, Russell etc
    Leeds- Naylor, Hughes, even Beckford knows League 1 well
    Milwall- Ward, Harris
    Swindon- Douglas, Lucas, McGovern, Paynter
    Charlton- Dailly, Burton, Richardson

Obviously we all have some fine young players but when it gets to sqeaky bum time, all of the big experienced names have not let anyone down (to the best of my knowledge regarding other sides- although Doherty was immense on 17/04)

Despite questions over not having a natural goalscorer, imho experienced players are the vital to get out of this league or even to get into play offs. We will not know for a while what to expect next season in terms of realistic targers, however if we are to be successful I believe we need to keep our more experienced players. Players that know the league and have been there and done it.

If we rely on the younger players, we will be in trouble. Therefore the older more experienced players are vital- they can help with young players development and can keep cool heads.

This is why I would not be surprised to see Spring offered a new deal as he will have a role to play if still here next year, also Solly/Jenkinson must be benefiting from Richardsons knowledge.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Experience and know how is key:

Norwich- Holt, Doherty, Russell etc
    Leeds- Naylor, Hughes, even Beckford knows League 1 well
    Milwall- Ward, Harris
    Swindon- Douglas, Lucas, McGovern, Paynter
    Charlton- Dailly, Burton, Richardson

Obviously we all have some fine young players but when it gets to sqeaky bum time, all of the big experienced names have not let anyone down (to the best of my knowledge regarding other sides- although Doherty was immense on 17/04)

Despite questions over not having a natural goalscorer, imho experienced players are the vital to get out of this league or even to get into play offs. We will not know for a while what to expect next season in terms of realistic targers, however if we are to be successful I believe we need to keep our more experienced players. Players that know the league and have been there and done it.

If we rely on the younger players, we will be in trouble. Therefore the older more experienced players are vital- they can help with young players development and can keep cool heads.

This is why I would not be surprised to see Spring offered a new deal as he will have a role to play if still here next year, also Solly/Jenkinson must be benefiting from Richardsons knowledge.

We relied on experience this year...Never quite worked out did it.
  • Options
    We could learn how to defend a lead against 10 men ?
  • Options
    Always play someone in the middle who can measure a pass.
  • Options
    I'll put two things into the mixer ... and actually they are the same point:

1) Don't be content with 1-1 draws (home or away) when the three points are there for the taking. Sometimes an adventurous approach will cost you the one point you have in hand, but you only have to get the three points now and again to make the gamble worthwhile

2) Don't sit back on a 2-0 lead against ten men

Bottom line - Parkinson is a cautious manager. He needs to work out when to take risks.

But I do agree that a natural goalscorer wouldn't go amiss.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]We could learn how to defend a lead against 10 men ?

We could learn to make 10 men defend against us instead of us defending against them
  • Options
    Try your defenders up front. They'll probably do a better job.
  • Options
    We relied on experience this year...Never quite worked out did it.[/quote]

Not quite but we were very close, 2 points behind Leeds and one goal from Wembley. Let us not forget back in March, we were in danger of slipping out of play offs. No co-incidence that our better and more consistent players have been the ones with know how. Of course, young players are the future and vital to a squad, however I believe they need nurturing properly and throwing them in at the deep end can have an adverse effect.

Agree too many score draws when we should have gone on to win, particularly late Jan, early Feb.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Check what carriage Nathan is in before taking your seat and settling down for the journey home!
  • Options
    Change of manager is essential.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]Change of manager is essential.

Yeah....you'd know about that of course!

The D_F_T answer to everything....change the manager....even when you're sitting comfortably in the middle of the Premiership table...Jeezuz H!!
  • Options
    where not sitting in the middle of the premiership now though.
  • Options
    Exactly, what proven manager would come here...!
  • Options
    With no money to spend and who else is going to do any better than Parky? sacking the manager is not the answer.
  • Options
    perhaps its best to keep him but its not been a success whatsover.
  • Options
    it's imperative we dig up a 25+ goals a season striker from somewhere or we can forget even the play-off's. Where ? Don't know but then I don't have a scouting network or contacts in the game etc.

As Dave Rudd said Parky, if still in charge, needs to get more adventurous especially away from home. We settled for draws at places like Huddersfield when three points were there for the taking. Ok it'll backfire occassionally but equally turning a point into three on occasions will make up for it. Over five games two wins and three defeats is better than five draws. Fortune favours the brave.
  • Options
    If you go to a ground with no roof, be prepared to get very, very, very wet
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]it's imperative we dig up a 25+ goals a season striker from somewhere or we can forget even the play-off's. Where ? Don't know but then I don't have a scouting network or contacts in the game etc.

As Dave Rudd said Parky, if still in charge, needs to get more adventurous especially away from home. We settled for draws at places like Huddersfield when three points were there for the taking. Ok it'll backfire occassionally but equally turning a point into three on occasions will make up for it. Over five games two wins and three defeats is better than five draws. Fortune favours the brave.

Definitely agree with the away strategy you suggest. If you can turn at least a third of those draws into wins it's worth doing. Norwich excelled at this this season - the number of last minute goals they got was ridiculous.

However, not sure how imperative it is to get a 25+ goal striker for the playoffs. Agree you need one of those to get automatic promotion (although Leeds' and Norwich's top scorers got 24!), but we proved this season that you can still finish very high in the table by sharing goals around the squad. Obviously the need for a decent striker increases massively if we lost both Bailey *and* Burton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]If you go to a ground with no roof, be prepared to get very, very, very wet

I thought you sat in the coach with MoG, 2nd half at Yeovil ....?

;o)
  • Options
    I've learn that football is sh1t! Although I'm still looking forward to the next season.
  • Options
    som things Ive learned:

- Booing 3rd division players for making mistakes makes them play like pub players. Getting behind them for 90 minutes gives them a lift and raises their game.

- Need to be more offensive home and away regardless of the oppositon. If we could play like we did against Leeds and Swindon for more games than not next year we'll do well.

- Need to have self belief rather than expectation and show it.

- Dont sit near women with 34DDs as it makes concentrating on the game a chore and gives the impression to onlookers that you are watching a tennis match.

- No matter how bad life gets, I'm glad I dont live in Gillingham.

- Dont post on here when pished.
  • Options
    We have no players so good that they will "walk this league".
  • Options
    Take a spare set of clothes to Yeovil
  • Options
    Take Binoculars to Brighton
    The Hot Dogs at Brentford are awesome
    At least we get to watch our team in a nice proper stadium with four sides and roofs.