Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Forster: I'm not fished yet! (edit. signed for Brentford)

edited May 2010 in General Charlton
To me it sounds like he won't be coming to us but maybe he's keeping his options open.

Nicky Forster has vowed to carry on playing after missing out on finishing his career with Albion.
The 36-year-old striker is on the lookout for his ninth club following Charlton's exit from the League One play-offs on penalties against Swindon on Monday.
Forster has been on loan to Charlton since a dispute with Albion boss Gus Poyet over the absence of a new contract offer.
Wycombe and Brentford were also interested in him during the loan transfer window.
Forster said: “I am obviously on a free transfer and looking to speak to clubs. I need to start looking around and see if those clubs are still interested.
“I am keen to keep playing. I don’t want to call time just yet after a fairly productive season. Eighteen goals in 40-odd games indicates I can go on for another year, if not two.”

Comments

• Options
    Mmmmm............... interesting!
  • Options
    now there's someone who's worth a year
  • Options
    Certainly worth a year deal,be very disappointed if he goes to somewhere like Brentford or Wycombe. Parky and him are friends I think so we have a good chance.
  • Options
    Flattered to deceive a bit though didn't he?
  • Options
    Very intelligent player, good link up play and experience was important. Earnt us 6 points v MK and Colchester. Also unlucky not to score against Swindon. Assessment would be 7/10.
  • Options
    Not sure about Forster, could be useful, but there might be better options out there. We don't really know who else is out of contract, he's an obvious player to go for.

Last year people said we should get Murty, and Parky did better and came up with Richardson.
  • Options
    I just wonder what style of play best suits him. Having not seen a great deal of him previous to joining us I couldn't say if he is a poacher or prefers dropping deep for the link up play. He did seem to drift out to the wings a fair bit so would our very direct style suit him?
  • Options
    Shouldn't that be "fishing"?

I'll get me coat!
  • Options
    intelligent footballer , i like him but would need some legs with him , dare i say it mooney and for a relatively short fella i think forster does well in the air
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]I just wonder what style of play best suits him. Having not seen a great deal of him previous to joining us I couldn't say if he is a poacher or prefers dropping deep for the link up play. He did seem to drift out to the wings a fair bit so would our very direct style suit him?

I reckon he's at his most effective in and around the box.

But he has more to his game than just poacher - generally decent 1st touch and awareness, good layoffs and short burst movement to collect in crowded play. Willing to forage. And an eye to get a shot off, but needs service - which much of our play in the final third hasn't provided him.

But what he's not, is a pacy channel runner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    a poor man's Kevin Phillips - which is not a bad thing in any way.
  • Options
    Was a good striker who to me looks past his sell by date.

Think we would do better getting a younger player, we have had to many players like this over the recent seasons. McKenzie prime example.

Time for a clear out of strikers and start again Burton excluded although seems he might be on his way to.
  • Options
    I think Forster could play a valuable role at Charlton next season. He shows that striker instinct, getting in front of his man, neat control in the box and that vital composure in front of goal ... with the right kind of service, he could generate 15 goals.

He might be 36 years old right now, but an 18 goal return this season shows that he knows his stuff.

League One "Player of the Month" last October, and 16 goals by January. And remember, those goals were in a deadbeat Brighton side looking doomed at the time.

Forster is a finisher - and if we create the kind of chances he can thrive on, we've still got a very useful player.
    Even if he doesn't play the full 90 minutes or is used from the bench.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

But what he's not, is a pacy channel runner.

You say that Oggy, but when ive sat and watched him closely for 5 or 10 minutes his movement across the line when we are clearing our lines is quality. Agree he's not pacy but his intelligence and timing gives him a yard or so. always tries to give a channel option over the full backs head. Southampton away was one game i remember him doing it. Granted he shouldnt have been playing up on his own but the old boys still got life in him!
  • Options
    Absolutely agree with all you say, Gary.

All I meant to say, was that I saw his strengths in and around the box - and we should play to them.

But we shouldn't always expect him to run the channels like Darren Bent, or even Izale McLeod.
    Even though he is remarkably fit for his age.
  • Options
    He's worth a punt, we could do a lot worse on a free transfer, someone with a decent track record of goals and from what I saw of him he still has a few more left in him.
  • Options
    would deffo give him a year
  • Options
    nope 3 years too late didnt do it for me
  • Options
    Who needs him - 4-5-1 - we've signed Akpo!
  • Options
    too short-term - reading murray's comments we need to think more long-term.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]too short-term - reading murray's comments we need to think more long-term.

It's all short term at the moment, Stebo ....... especially in the short term, survival.

The kids coming through are the long term perhaps, but if they can realise a cash value like Jonjo, then they could be sold.
    It's all short term, whichever way you dress it up.

Murray is only interested in the short term before the club finds a buyer - but he will want that buyer to think long term, and act in the best interests of the club.

Until then, it's all short term at the moment, Stebo.
  • Options
    no brainer. Sign him. We will not sign anyone better.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Not sure about Forster, could be useful, but there might be better options out there. We don't really know who else is out of contract, he's an obvious player to go for.

Last year people said we should get Murty, and Parky did better and came up with Richardson.

This.

Let's see who's out there. Go for Forster if he's the best available, but be open to other options.
  • Options
    We should be snapping him up for another season definitely. Knows the club, knows the division and is free. Even if he only played half the games or came on as sub most weeks he'd still be an asset. The sort of player you need to nick a goal when the likes of Orient and Oldham are parking the bus at the Valley.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]We should be snapping him up for another season definitely. Knows the club, knows the division and is free. Even if he only played half the games or came on as sub most weeks he'd still be an asset. The sort of player you need to nick a goal when the likes of Orient and Oldham are parking the bus at the Valley.

agree with chris not sure that we can afford him tho
  • Options
    sums it up in that he scores 16 by January for Brighton, a side fighting relegation, and comes to us, a side chasing promotion, and his goals dry up. We need to start creating more chances for our strikers and stop pussy-footing around and get the ball in the box earlier. I'd sign him on a 1 year deal.
  • Options
    Depends on who else stays, lots of people saying they would sign up Forster, Burton & Mooney...with Sodje now signed that would mean going into next season with the same blokes that didn't really do it this year. Need at least one and hopefully two strikers who can hit the net regularly, especially as Bailey is unlikely to be with us. Don't know where they would come from but I hope Parky can find them or its a season of toil ahead.
  • Options
    If I was Parky I would definitely try and get him on a year deal.

He won and scored the pen vs MK to get us 3 points. And got the goal for 3 points vs Colchester

Plus with his experience sign him up!
  • Options
    What LArge said.
  • Options
    I liked the composure he showed when he had that chance on Monday. Think he could still get a few goals but would like to take a chance with a younger player.

Hopefully the scouts can find an Austin or Morrison out there.