Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Question about League 1 statistics

Whilst in a doom and gloom mood, I commented to my son that it is difficult to get out of L1. He said this wasn't true and in the past five years, only 3 teams - Oldham, Tranmere and Huddersfield have remained in L1. I'm having problems loading the pages I need so can anyone confirm this please, and additionally how many have gone up and stayed up?

Comments

• Options
    Over the past five seasons (not including this one), and including points deducted for entering administration, the average relegated team picked up 65 points. None of those were Huddersfield, Oldham or Tranmere, by the way - Huddersfield have been in League 2 since they were last in the Championship.

15 teams were relegated to League 1 in that time. Only two (Leicester and Scunthorpe) won promotion back to the Championship at the first attempt, and only two more have won promotion since being relegated (Nottingham Forest and Leeds). 8 of those 15 teams have gone on to be relegated to League 2, and one has been relegated to the conference.
  • Options
    Whos the one that has been relegated to the conference?
  • Options
    Luton?
  • Options
    Ah yes of couorse i think your right Scoham
  • Options
    that is scary statistics
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited May 2010
    Yep it was Luton, who were relegated in their first season in League 1 (went into administration - I added on the 10 points for the points average). Milton Keynes Dons (who had been relegated as Wimbledon) came very close to relegation in their first League 1 season too, and eventually did drop. The other teams relegated from League 1 were Walsall, Bradford, Gillingham, Rotherham, Crewe, and Southend.

I had a look at the teams promoted from League 1. For some reason I did the last 6 seasons (including the one just finishing now). The average promoted team got 63 points in the Championship. Of the 18 teams promoted, three were relegated in their first season (Peterborough, Scunthorpe and Southend), while another four have been relegated in later seasons (Brighton, Plymouth, Luton, and Colchester). Hull City are the only one of these teams to be promoted to the Premier League, but Leicester and Bristol City both made the playoffs.

EDIT - just in case this confuses anyone. Scunthorpe are in the list twice because they were promoted in 2007 and 2009. They were relegated at the first attempt in 2008, but survived in 2010.
  • Options
    So on that reckoning we are more likely to go down than back up...
  • Options
    Interesting stuff IA, an invite to the 2010/11 STATBANK Committee is in the post !
  • Options
    Thank you IA. Discussion had basically started with me trying to explain to son that it's hard to go up from League One to the Champs and stay there. Son, as ever, had some statistics to prove me wrong. But this time, and I admit it's highly unusual, he's wrong. Oh boy, am I going to enjoy this! Very grateful to you and also very impressed.