Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What now for the Addicks?

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8178546.HAVE_YOUR_SAY__Sport_rant___what_now_for_the_Addicks_/

Nothing too profound about this admittedly in terms of conclusions but still a chance to have a dig at the Millwall fan.

Comments

• Options
    biggest wage budgets for this division in an attempt to win instant promotion back to the Championship

i think once this is sorted out then administration will be less of a worry.

if you look at the 14 players out of contract, some hardly played; Dickson, Spring, McKenzie & Sinclair - if the average wage was these four was £3k then thats over £600k of the wage bill already, but i expect it's actually more than that.
    Then there's Burton and Sam who look likely to go, if you say £10k for those two- that's another £520k.

The likelihood is that Bailey, Semendo and Racon will leave; possibly fetching at least £2.5m if not more and also reducing the wage bill by a further £750k at least

Then there's the outcasts that we need to find takers for; Mcleod, Fleetwood and Moo2. even if we let them go for nothing this will cut the wage bill by £900k

now these are guesstimated figures and I think the real numbers are actually higher, so let's say roughly £3m would cut from the wage bill if these players go.

now i've listed 12 players that could go - you might think that this leaves us with a very depleted squad, but then only 5 of the players mentioned actually played regularly, if at all.

I'm optimistic that Parky will be able to bring in some decent free transfers and together with the players he convinces to stay, plus a couple of loans, we can have a side capable of at least chasing a play-off place.
  • Options
    I would be staggered if the sale of Bailey, Semedo and Racon brought in anywhere near 1.5 million nevermind 2.5 million.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]The likelihood is that Bailey, Semendo and Racon will leave; possibly fetching at least £2.5m if not more
    I think that's very optimistic, not just based on the Bailey and Semedo to Reading thread. Is Racon worth much at all? Bailey is the only one with a big reputation, and Semedo will have impressed some clubs, but don't think we'll get that much for him.

Lets hope he gets those free transfers and loans right as you say, even more important this year as we could lose at least half the starting 11, including the entire midfield.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Newsshopper[/cite]Charlton’s biggest problem this year has been scoring goals and it is this which ultimately cost them promotion.

They haven’t scored more than twice in any league game since the 4-4 draw with Millwall at The Valley on December 19.

This lack of fire power cost numerous points and 15 draws tells its own story, especially when you consider the Addicks only finished two points behind Leeds who won automatic promotion.
    I strongly disagree with the main assertion in this article. Charlton’s biggest problem on Monday night was scoring goals and a lack of fire power. We dominated the game and created many chances but our strikers were unable to convert enough of them.

Charlton’s biggest problem this year, and the one that ultimately cost them promotion, is that in too many matches they were outplayed by opposing teams who simply played the better football.
  • Options
    personally i think Bailey's worth £1.2m, Semendo £700k maybe, Racon £400K (which is about what we paid for him)

like i said in the 'Bailey & Semendo first departures' thread. I think (if it's true) it's reading, knowing our current financial state, testing our resolve. I doubt the club would accept a offer as low as that.

but then I didn't think Shelvey would be sold for only £1.7m either... so who knows.