Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should the club go part-time?

It's quite clear that something radical needs to happen at Charlton to prevent the debts dragging the club under. There's lots of different possible solutions being suggested, from administration to selling the Valley, but one that no-one has suggested so far has a lot more going for it than you'd think.

Why doesn't the club go part-time (ie part-time players who have other jobs, rather than full time players)?

A lot of non-league clubs (eg Woking and Ebbsfleet) are considering switching to part-time at the moment. Though the salary savings aren't huge - part-time players purportedly cost 75% of full-time salaries - there are a lot of people who want to play football as well as having another job, a sensible option in today's economic climate, especially given the shortness and sudden (injury-caused) ends of many football careers.

The advantages of Charlton going part-time are:

(a) There will be a hude difference in salaries, 75% of usual non-league wages is probably about a tenth of our current wage bill, a saving that instantly takes us out of the red and into the black in terms of next year's budget (ie the debt won't get any bigger over the season).

(b) Being far and away the 'biggest' part-time team (several divisions above most of the rest) means we would be an attractive proposition and could likely hoover up the best part-time players around.

(c) Being based in London, within commuting distance of around a quarter of the UK workforce, means a big base of players to draw on (bearing in mind they have other jobs). It also makes it more likely that part-time players from elsewhere in the country could relocate and find a similar job.

(d) Part-time players are less likely to have the characteristics and trappings so often associated with full-time pros. They will likely be more grounded individuals (given their simultaneous career away from football) rather than members of the Baby Bentley and bling set.

I'm not suggesting we become "a" part-time team, I'm suggesting we become THE BIGGEST AND BEST PART-TIME TEAM in the country. Would that mean players of a good-enough standard to be competitive in the third tier. I don't know, no-one's ever tried it before, but we can but give it a go...

[The Academy is a separate issue: If it pays for itself, with incoming transfer fees covering all operating costs, it should continue, with players taught a trade alongside football - which might already be the case. Most people who graduate from our Academy end up playing at part-time clubs anyway. If it doesn't pay for itself then perhaps, until our finances improve, it should be shut down. Sad though that is to say. These are severe times that call for severe measures.]

Comments

• Options
    An extravagant wind up. Not a very good one at that. 8/10 for effort though.
  • Options
    what a load of tosh
  • Options
    I cant envisage us being able to produce a team that is anywhere near capable of being competitive with part-time players. I could see us with a crop of passionate young players which would fight for this club on the cheap but we would only fall down the league which would result in money being lost in tickets sales and probably other things
  • Options
    So name the 11 part time players you would recommend we sign, to get us promoted & then promoted again, back to the Prem .........
  • Options
    Not a wind-up at all. A serious suggestion. A radical suggestion, I agree, but if you think about it seriously, it is an option. You only have to look at the FA Cup to see part-time teams beating top professional clubs. All those charts comparing the salaries of the two teams, eg a centre half who works in a bakery and earns £150 a week from football, marking out of the game the big club's 40k a week star striker.

Now imagine being in a situation where we can attract THE VERY BEST of those part-time players from around the country. Effectively, the England (and other countries) national part-time team playing in Charlton shirts. Yes, part-time players raise their game for the FA Cup, but wouldn't they be doing that every week at the Valley, raising their game to match their full-time opponents with the roars of 15-20,000 fans behind them. An entire team of FA Cup giant killers. Could it work? There's only one way to find out.
  • Options
    I thought all league clubs had to be full time ?
  • Options
    Part time players are part-time for a reason...
  • Options
    Great idea - certain relegation.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You are either a WUM or a complete imbecile, which is it ?

In fairness to you I think Henry has got you wrong & you're not a WUM ..................
  • Options
    Or perhaps just close altogether. Could save a packet that way. Daftest post I have read on here. I think AFKA should ask for your CL badge back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are you some sort of mug! This is the Football League all be it the third division and your suggesting we become a part time club!! I'm am not against scouting for talent in the non-league clubs. Some gems can be found Beckford, Morrison etc but what are the chances of us finding a whole team of Beckfords??? Your idea is insane and would condem us to relegation which would put us in a far worse position then we are now. We all no the roumers at the clubs financial state but does anyone know the true figures? I don't. I've heard administration is on the cards, personally I would welcome a chance to clear the debts, find a new owner and start again. It would be a last resort but better than what this muppet suggests.
  • Options
    Are you Ackworth in disguise?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]So name the 11 part time players you would recommend we sign, to get us promoted & then promoted again, back to the Prem .........

I'm suggesting a temporary measure to stabilitise the finances until economic recovery and a possible buyer for the club is found. Should the club make the championship there would presumably be funds to have a mix of full- and part-time players (as many clubs do), and in the Premiership it would likely be unfeasible to have any part-time players. It would be a real Roy of the Rovers story if a part-time club could do that though.

I can't name the players as I don't know much about non-league (I'm no Jonathan Ackworth). As it happens, I think there might be people out there who played football to a high level at school/uni before going on to a high powered job, who wouldn't consider playing for a pokey non-league club, but would dust off their boots if the opportunity to play in the Football League (alongside their job at PriceWaterhouseCoooper) presented itself?

An example from another 'sport' is John Bradshaw Layfield, a genuine millionaire stock market investor who also competed as a wrestler in WWE on the side. Can we find good quality footballers lurking in the offices of Canary Wharf? People who'd never dream of chucking their fancy suit-and-tie job, but wouldn't mind playing football on the side? As I say, we won't know until we try...
  • Options
    Let's speak clearly about those "lot of non-league clubs." These clubs help to remind us what it means to have a precarious financial position. The below is what Ebbsfleet MYFC owners received this morning from Liam Dash:
    MyFC - Update from Coach Liam Daish

Dear ____________________,

Please comment at http://members.myfootballclub.co.uk/article-69498

Firstly I'd like thank everyone for sticking with us through the last season and the season approaching.

I'd like to add my views on the football side of things and maybe eave the financials to Duncan and Phil. Thats not to say I have no iews on the other departments i.e Youth, PASE, Commercial, Community, admin etc, but I think for now I'll concentrate on the football side of things which hopefully is the main reason people got involved in
    the club in the first place.

Last year was extremely difficult in the first place. From the back end of 2008/09 season, after a gruelling finish, I lost all the squad bar three players, Cronin, Gash & Charles. A 43 week budget was given to me of £4,000 which would improve through donations i.e FOTF, I was told. Forced to sell Gash to improve the budget and more money was raised for two players i.e Pooley/Shakes who had not found other clubs after being released by us in May.

A decision by the then Chairman John Moules, to move training facilities from FL to AEI with assurances that that facility and equipment i.e portable goals would be ready for first day back of pre season, but this never happened. By Oct/Nov we could no longer train at AEI, as a takeover of premises happened. No showers or pitches. From then on no base, limited tools training wise to improve young players who are still learning the game and are travelling from, in some cases, fairly afar i.e Brighton, Basingstoke, Luton and in Scotty Ginty's case Peterborough, to train on anywhere we could find the ground, which is not ideal for our groundsman Peter Norton, 3G five aside pitches, occasionally full size 3G at Dartford and local public parks.

Our portable goals, rehab and conditioning equipment, bikes, rowers, weights and machines left at AEI collecting dust and are still there as we had and still have no where to put them. A training facility is essential to a full time set of players, fact. The players, who are young deserve a working enviroment to improve as a team and also individually, physically and technically. The players did not have that last year.

Going forward that must be addressed and made priorty if the club wants to remain full time. Going back to the budget. When I first arrived at this club a part time playing budget was in place of 7k a week, which is less than what I was working to last year full time, five years on and a bit of success and the odd player being sold along the way i.e Akinde, Gash and now Charles. I think I have proved I can remain competitive if I have basic tools, a facility to help develop a team and a budget to at least attract a type of player. Players such as Cronin, Smith, Rickets, Long, Bostwick, McPhee, MacDonald, Akinde, Moore, Charles, Stavrinou, Bailey, Ashikodi, Ginty, Viera ..the list goes on, can be found and developed if the basics are in place.

Budget/Facilities. If we have no Facilities there is no decision to make on the full/part time. Our budget and facilities I believe will reflect our desire and aspirations of getting back to BSP.

We are entering a league of clubs desperate to go where we have been for the last nine ten years is it, and each will be doing everything on and off the pitch to make it happen. We must decide now what we want to do and be comfortable with it .

Believe

Liam
  • Options
    F & H. It's obvious you don't have any idea of what you are talking about so I suggest to you that when you are in a hole. Stop digging.
  • Options
    All football league clubs have to be full-time mate part time is non league. This would not help Charlton get back to the top end of the championship werre most fans believe we belong becoming non league is not a good option. They wouldnt raise their game for a part time club mate because we would be part time therefore non league.
  • Options
    Don't need to say anything here as it's already been said.
  • Options
    I don't know why but this bloke is really winding me up MUPPET
  • Options
    why have part time players when each week 11 fans can play.
    would have the same outcome at the end of the season but would save 100 % on wages.
  • Options
    He is a windup merchant, probably a Palace fan. Some people go to long lengths for these intricate windups on things like message boards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Good god. Are you sure you are not Ackworth as pointed out by PeteF?

I thought the biggest wind up over the last couple of days on this forum was arranging a concert where 10,000 people would pay to watch Lee Ryan and a singer who no one has heard of in Charlton Park or the Valley Car Park, but this is something else.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I was wondering if Football League rules stated you have to be full-time. I will try to find out.

In my searching I did find this article in the Guardian that seems to agree with my suggestion:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/feb/09/football-league-part-time-regional
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]He is a windup merchant, probably a Palace fan. Some people go to long lengths for these intricate windups on things like message boards.

Palace fan. There's no need forthat kind of abuse ;0)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]I was wondering if Football League rules stated you have to be full-time. I will try to find out.

In my searching I did find this article in the Guardian that seems to agree with my suggestion:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/feb/09/football-league-part-time-regional[
    /quote]

or did you read the article a thought up the wind up from there ?
  • Options
    "I can't name the players as I don't know much about non-league (I'm no Jonathan Ackworth). As it happens, I think there might be people out there who played football to a high level at school/uni before going on to a high powered job, who wouldn't consider playing for a pokey non-league club, but would dust off their boots if the opportunity to play in the Football League (alongside their job at PriceWaterhouseCoooper) presented itself?"

You can't name the players because there aren't enough you complete tw*t.

However, I played for my school team so no doubt you'd have me playing up front !

So WUM or imbecile which is it.

Perhaps, they've let you out for the weekend ?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    F&H's comments are my highlights of the day...next best thing is that people actually respond LOL.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]You are either a WUM or a complete imbecile, which is it ?

In fairness to you I think Henry has got you wrong & you're not a WUM ..................

I'm open to that possibility as well : - )
  • Options
    Whats sad, if he is a WUM (or if not in actual fact) is that he/she has time in their day to sit there wrighting messages to on here to wind us lot up. Its a really nice day how sad are you that you spend a day like this indoors on the computer. I am on one because i am at work today so i could go to Charlton on Monday (i.e. swaped the shift) just in case any of you jump on that one ;-)
  • Options
    Garden. i phone
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Garden. i phone

LOL read a book then educate yourself.