Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Morrissey / genious or twat?

Comments

• Options
    Was at college when the Smiths appeared. And thank God they did!

U2, already getting up their own backsides, Billy Ocean, and King - anyone remember them? Went to see Morrissey and Co in Ipswich with two mates the same night as every other 2@ in the year went to see King in Colchester. I know who got that one right.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Just dont get me started on U2...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
  • Options
    'I take it that's from your perspective rather than his. After all he was for quite a while after The Smiths, the world's highest paid session musician, he's had the opportunity to play with just about anyone he ever wanted too, and offers to be in bands have never ceased. True, none of them have ever had the same critical acclaim or wide fan base of The Smiths, but that doesn't mean he made a bad move.'

From his personal perspective he would say it was what he had to do and knowing Morrissey's behaviour I can't blame him really.

Touring around with Modest Mouse and The Cribs? Whatever floats your boat I suppose.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IdleHans[/cite] King - anyone remember them?

Yeah, Love and Pride and spray painted DMs. Thank god the Smiths appeared.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]the much maligned Johnny Marr.
    'Much-maligned'? By who? Aside from the frankly preposterous post earlier in this thread I find no-one saying Marr is/was crap. You'll find precious few people who would say anything Marr is anything other than ridiculously good.
  • Options
    He's a brilliant lyricist, the Smiths were a great band (Johnny Marr is a genius too) and he's got some dubious views though.

There is good stuff out there by the way, listen to bands like Delphic and Chew Lips, rather then N Dubz and shit like that
  • Options
    Leroy...did I say much maligned on this forum...no I dont think so! I have worked with a lot of very average guitarists who seem to think they must dislike and disrespect this guy...he seems to be number one target in the music biz, but may I say much admired by musicians worth their salt.

Learn to read posts properly before you misquote me!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite] (Johnny Marr is a genius too)

LOL
    For Gods sake get a grip.
    He's a talented and original guitar player.
  • Options
    My diary for Monday: Look for syntax errors on CL forum LOL.
  • Options
    I do like his music especially the early stuff. His music always puts me in a good mood lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mark Lamarr was a huge fan of his (smiley winky thingy)

A small celebration took place at our tents when he cancelled being at the Isle of Wight Festie a few years ago.

Think he's probably a berk. Seem to recall reading an article about an incident not too long ago where he stormed off stage after only being on for a very short time because someone threw something at him and didn't provide refunds. Always makes me think of Bowie and his reaction to a lolly getting stuck in his eye on stage.
  • Options
    He walked off stage a year or two ago because he could smell meat cooking. I have no idea if there were refunds, but that would probably depend on the concert organisers - their BBQ
  • Options
    Just googled it again. It was the second song into his gig. There is a few accounts only one mentions full refunds so could be selective journalism. Happened back in November 2009. If you consider the distance alot of fans would travel to see him, if I was in their shoes doubt I'd be a happy bunnie.
  • Options
    The Smiths - If you've heard one of their songs, you've heard them all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red Fraggle[/cite]Mark Lamarr was a huge fan of his (smiley winky thingy)

Well I never

The bloke got the New York Dolls back together which allowed me to go to one of the best gigs of my life.
  • Options
    This is a wierd thread for me, keeps mentioning people I have a close connection with - my mate Boz plays guitar and co-writes with Morrissey, another close mate was in the same "gang" at school in Coventry with Paul King (they both have a five spot tattoo on their hand, representing the gang) and I used to go to rockabilly clubs with Mark Lamarr (then Mark Jones, nicknamed Yogi). Odd eh?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IdleHans[/cite]King - anyone remember them?

Paul King had supreme mullet engineering!

Had a few listens to 'Bitter Sweet' on Spotify recently, as that was an album I liked in my youth. Some good songs, but some of the synth/key sounds, & production makes it sound a bit dated. Still like it though! :-D
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]The Smiths - If you've heard one of their songs, you've heard them all.

Rubbish!
  • Options
    Genius, loved The Smiths with or without the rose-tinteds.

The vicar in a tutu
    He's not strange
    He just wants to live his life this way
  • Options
    Twat
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]The Smiths - If you've heard one of their songs, you've heard them all.

If you believe that, it's true for most bands. What do you expect them to do? Release a few rap songs?

Pointless statement, really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think you have made the pointless statement!

The Stones, The Who, David Bowie.... you could hardly say that all their music sounds the same.
    The Smiths were just an Indie Status Quo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I think you have made the pointless statement!

The Stones, The Who, David Bowie.... you could hardly say that all their music sounds the same.
    The Smiths were just an Indie Status Quo.

Jesus, I would love to see Morrissey's face when someone described his band as an "Indie Status Quo."

I think he might self-combust.
  • Options
    Without thinking too hard, and bearing in mind that I haven't heard any Smiths songs in nearly a year now.

How Soon is Now
    This Night has Opened My Eyes
    William, It was Really Nothing

Three very different songs. I can probably think up more without stretching too hard.

Very possible to say the same about those bands, Chirpy, if you don't like them.
  • Options
    Love the smiths and morrisey is a lyrical genius. I don't pay any attention to his personal tastes, I make a point of this with all musicians, it is the music I like or dislike, not what they say.
  • Options
    Steve Dowman, at last, the voice of reason.

There really are some utter no-marks on here.
  • Options
    Falconwood-1
    I reckon you like the Smiths!!
  • Options
    Oh and Chirpy,

How vary dare you to mention the Smiths and the Mighty Status Quo in the same sentence.

QUO_O_O_O_O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Fucks sake. The Smiths' songs all sound the same, do they? Christ almighty - they had more variety on one album than most bands have over five or six! Have you only listened to 'This Charming Man' and 'Hand In Glove' or something?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Marco's comments sum it up well for me. Personally I was (and am) a great fan of The Smiths and also like a fair bit of his solo work. Yes, Morrissey is a twat most of the time but I couldn't give a toss about that ... I listen because I like the music. If personalities put me off then I would be very limited in the choice that I had.

An article a while back by the journalist Chloe Vetman made a few interesting points:

Lyrically, Morrissey is getting to the stage where's he's becoming derivative of himself. For Morrissey, this presents an interesting paradox. On the one hand, in a culture that decrees "change or die", Morrissey treads a rocky path by continuing to preach the same ideas that he's been preaching since the early 1980s whilst remaining doggedly indifferent to fickle musical and ideological trends. Meanwhile on the other, Morrissey's status as an icon today is based on the collective propagation of a myth of what he once was and represented — a version of the artist somewhat at odds with the reality of the man and his music today. The fanatical adoration surrounding Morrissey today is founded on nostalgia, specifically a yearning for the Morrissey of the 1980s — the superstar-outsider frontman of The Smiths. It's not for nothing that, despite a short five year lifespan, the Smiths have had a much more profound influence on subsequent culture than Morrissey has had on his own over the entire 20-plus year history of his solo career.
  • Options
    Talented twat....