Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hudders fan in peace

Alright lads

After reading a few different articles and opinions on you lot recently, I'm undecided on how much of a threat you'll be next season.
Which players are expected to leave? I know you had a few loans, Reid Sodje and Forster stand out, but will the likes of Bailey and Burton be leaving too? I was under the impression that you'd be losing a few key players this summer, so I was a bit surprised to see you 2nd favourites for League One next season behind Southampton...
Up here, we're all confident that with the odd quality signing we can build on this season and get those few extra points to hopefully push for the automatic spots, and we're all agreed on the league being somewhat weaker than it has been this season, the 3 sides going up look far stronger than those coming down, and of the sides still down here, only Brighton look good for a play off push next season, and then there's some other possibilities like Brentford and Colchester, where it really depends on how successful a summer they have.

If I offered you another 4th place finish, would you take it and say it's been a successful season? Because if you offered us another 6th place finish, we'd probably turn it down.

All the best, always been fond of Charlton compared to some of the other tosspots you've got down in the capital!

Comments

• Options
    We'd take 20th next season at the moment I think!
  • Options
    We will be less competitive as things stand, we will probably keep the same manager, and lose players...replaced by frees, youngsters and dodgy loans. We are in a very very precarious financial position, and every defeat will be an utter disaster, and every victory won't be a pleasure but a relief.
    Good luck to Huddersfield, dunno if it holds true for you given your pre-war dominance, but for us we have played Huddersfield, Middlesborough and Portsmouth more than any other clubs, which probably says a lot about the relative standing of those four clubs.
    Incidentally I remember the Ian Greaves Frank Worthington Huddersfield that went up...dunno....35 years ago, now that was a really really good football team.
  • Options
    Id take 4th like a shot
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Second favourites is well over the top, they probably just don't know so picked us as the big name. All depends who we sign and just how many important players leave. Would definitely take 4th place again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leeclarksbarmyarmy[/cite]Alright lads

After reading a few different articles and opinions on you lot recently, I'm undecided on how much of a threat you'll be next season.
    Which players are expected to leave? I know you had a few loans, Reid Sodje and Forster stand out, but will the likes of Bailey and Burton be leaving too? I was under the impression that you'd be losing a few key players this summer, so I was a bit surprised to see you 2nd favourites for League One next season behind Southampton...
    Up here, we're all confident that with the odd quality signing we can build on this season and get those few extra points to hopefully push for the automatic spots, and we're all agreed on the league being somewhat weaker than it has been this season, the 3 sides going up look far stronger than those coming down, and of the sides still down here, only Brighton look good for a play off push next season, and then there's some other possibilities like Brentford and Colchester, where it really depends on how successful a summer they have.

If I offered you another 4th place finish, would you take it and say it's been a successful season? Because if you offered us another 6th place finish, we'd probably turn it down.

All the best, always been fond of Charlton compared to some of the other tosspots you've got down in the capital!

gotta say if your chairman backs Lee Clark you have agreat chance, we are going take a few years re-building I think.However you need a new Goalkeeper becoz yours was a feckin joke against them w**nkers the other night.If only Swindon had a muppett like him.
  • Options
    Must say I believe the quality competing for the automatic places won't be the same as it was this season. Really can't see Plymouth or Sheffield Wednesday, especially if their takeover fails, being as strong as Norwich or Leeds going up this year. Peterborough will have the money and experience of getting out the division if they can keep hold of players but Johnson may want a radical changeover of players and could take time for them to settle. I think both Charlton and Huddersfield can be quietly confident, the gap between the top 6 this year and the rest of the division was quite large. However, can see Southampton as the main threats and possibly Brighton as darkhorses if they continue their improvement under Poyet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Second favourites is well over the top, they probably just don't know so picked us as the big name. All depends who we sign and just how many important players leave. Would definitely take 4th place again.

Odds are predominantly set according to betting patterns, so if the people make us second favourites, I'm happy to go along with it.
  • Options
    Southampton are clear favourites. I dont think any of the teams coming down are that great and will almost certaintly not pose the same threat that Leeds and Norwich did. Of the play-off finalists i dont think swindon would be able to have as consistent a season they've had this year, Millwall on the other hand would probably have a similar season to this one. Huddersfield i think can profit from the poorer standard of team. We could too if we maintain a decent team. I think Brighton, Colchester and Mk dons will be fighting for play-off places.
  • Options
    I will bite your hand off for 4th!
  • Options
    Agree with all the above opinions about Charlton next season. As fof Hudders ? Thought Millwall rolled you over like lambs. You didn't compete at all and that would worry me for next season. No doubt you will finish above us but you will need to improve and grow some hairies if you are to better sixth spot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: leeclarksbarmyarmy[/cite]Alright lads

All the best, always been fond of Charlton compared to some of the other tosspots you've got down in the capital![/quote]

gotta say if your chairman backs Lee Clark you have agreat chance, we are going take a few years re-building I think.However you need a new Goalkeeper becoz yours was a feckin joke against them w**nkers the other night.If only Swindon had a muppett like him.[/quote]

Na, keepers probably the last thing we need. Smithies had another good season and he's still only 19, he's only made 2 mistakes this season, Leeds away and Millwall away, not a coincidence that the young local lad has been feeling the nerves in the biggest games.
    Agree with most of what's on here, the only team I see as certainties for an automatic push is Southampton, then there's a load of MAYBES, maybe us and Peterborough could with the right signings and experience, maybe Wednesday and Plymouth could if they sort out their off the field issues, keep their best players and get some improvements in, unlike this time last year when you could pretty much guarentee that the 3 relegated sides would be right up there along with the likes of Millwall and Leeds.
    Thankfully for us Lee Clark looks to know where we need to improve, judging by the players we're linked with, and it looks like we've already got a CM lined up from Falkirk, and the £400k+ fee shows that the chairman's not losing faith in him, just like us fans aren't.. strongly believe that the young ambitious manager + experienced backroom staff system will work well.
  • Options
    4th hell yes!

Nothing really against Southampton other than the fool in charge but am hoping they have one of those seasons and he's gone by Christmas with them languishing in the bottom half. Had a Wet Spam fan telling me in the pub that he'd be happy to have Pardew back, cue drunken ranting for a good 15 mins.
  • Options
    Mate, Id be delighted with fourth... would make for another very enjoyable season...
  • Options
    4th would be the footballing equivalent of angels crying onto my Parkinson free buttock cheeks.

I spoke to my local shamen who insisted you Udders fans will be rewarded with the trials of living in the north with a third place finish this season.
    And you can quote him on this certainty
  • Options
    Dunno yet see who goes, stays & comes in then be easier to guess

at this momment in time i would not take 4th, but then its hard to predict and judge at the momment
  • Options
    I think every sane Charlton fan would take fourth. We don't seem to have youth players with the right attitude, and they're the ones we'll rely upon. I hope Basey comes back and we move him inside to either cm or cd. Anyways we'll have a smaller squad, and less quality(?) loan players. Considering our second string really wasn't up to competing in league one, due to injuries or lack of presence no one is really confident.

If this Arfield chap adds a bit of bite to your team, you could easily take auto promotion. We hope you pip Soton, though I can't see anything but promotion for you next season.
  • Options
    I think we'd all love to know the answers to some of those questions...