Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What are your favourite World Cup TV memories (not including 1966)

I have only ever seen two world cup final games live. Both in the 1994 USA World cup finals. One was Russia v Brazil and the other was USA v Columbia in the Rose Bowl. Even though these are the only World Cup games I have attended neither of those games nor the 1994 world cup rank very high in my world cup memories (despite the fact that the Columbian defender who scored an own goal against the USA that day was murdered a few days later).

For me the world cup is very much a TV experience. I always use to take 4 or 5 half day holidays during the group stages so I could see as many games as possible.

My favourite TV World Cup memories are of the 1978 Finals in Argentina. Mainly because of the spectacle of the ticker tape welcomes that use to accompany the Argentinean team when they came onto the pitch. It still sends a tingle down my spine when I see replays (I can’t find a youtube clip that does it justice).

My second favourite TV World Cup memories would have to be the 1990 finals in Italy. I think this has as much to do with the tune that BBC started every World Cup programme as with England’s performance and Gazza’s tears!

BBC Opening Sequence

Comments

• Spain 1982, the Brazils games verses Italy and Argentina....still think that Brazil team in the 82 world cup were the best I've ever seen (despite them not winning it)
  • When platt scored against belgium in italia 90 i remember thinking (for the 1st and only time) that we could win it.
    also from then, the emergence of cameroon and roger milla smiling his way through the tournament.
  • I came home from school and caught the second half of the Italy/Brazil game in 82 when Rossi got a hat trick. Unbelievable game.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]Spain 1982, the Brazils games verses Italy and Argentina....still think that Brazil team in the 82 world cup were the best I've ever seen (despite them not winning it)[/quote]
    I'd completely agree with that!
  • Just everything about Italia '90.
    Rushing home from school to watch Cameroon stuff the Argies in the 1st game... Platt's last gasp goal against Belgium (I dont think I've ever seen my Dad get excited about a goal as much as that one), the Semi against West Germany..Waddle hitting the post from about 35 yards, Gazza getting booked...Lineker doing the "he's a mentalist" sign language to Bobby Robson on the bench, the heartbreak of the penalty shoot out, Gazza's tears. Oh and World In Motion, cracking tune...
  • edited May 2010
    My favourite TV moment from the WC is from Mexico '86. England v Morocco. Ray Wilkins is trying to get the ball which has gone off for a throw in, someone, ball boy or a sub has the ball and doesn't give it back straight away, then you can clearly hear Butch say " Oi! Give us the F***ing ball!" He was obviously wound up and later got sent off.
  • Italia 90 - was on holiday in Portugal with 16 others. Watched semi-final in an English-style pub and got talking to another group of English people. I mentioned that I supported Charlton and one of them said his brother used to play for them and I might have heard of him. I asked who and he said 'Derek Hales'!
  • [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Just everything about Italia '90.
    Rushing home from school to watch Cameroon stuff the Argies in the 1st game... Platt's last gasp goal against Belgium (I dont think I've ever seen my Dad get excited about a goal as much as that one), the Semi against West Germany..Waddle hitting the post from about 35 yards, Gazza getting booked...Lineker doing the "he's a mentalist" sign language to Bobby Robson on the bench, the heartbreak of the penalty shoot out, Gazza's tears. Oh and World In Motion, cracking tune...

Completely agree being at primary school at the time. Very special summer that one. Have got every single match on VHS somewhere after recording them.
  • how about the guy from Zaire running out ofthe wall and hoofing the ball away.

or one for the old jocks Archie Gemmils goal against Holland.
  • I suppose you have to include Maradona's two goals against us in the 1/4 final in Mexcio '96. The first one for the wrong reasons obviously, the second being one of them goals that will just stick in the memory forever. Absolutely world class that goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• spent the 2 weeks of the 98 WC in Ayia Napa....absolute great time, we were out there when Kieron Dyer, Rio etc made their home video!!, also saw Jamie Carragher wandering round in sandels, white socks and a bum bag.

Lee Sharpe was staying in our hotel and our group became quite friendly with him and his brother and used to watch the England games with him, the celebration after Owen's goal against the Argies was something I'll never forget.
  • Italia 90 - Platt's goal as mentioned.

Japan 02 - Beating the Argies and then parading a huge St. George flag into Albufeira town square and dancing in the fountain...
  • 98 Now there was a tournament we could have won had luck gone our way
    94 gash, Roberto Baggio was one of my favourite footballers to watch and that final was turgid, however Letchkov knocking the Germans out was nice
    90 I loved this tournament, watched nearly every game, I decided then that I wanted to be Lineker or Waddle but not Gascoigne cos all my mates wanted to be him and he was a cry baby!
    02 A team of grafters, did very, very well to get to the quarter finals
    06 complete over-hyped shite

The best memories are from 1990 with Milla doing his dance, and the rest of Cameroon trying to cripple Canigga
    Voller being used as a spittoon by Rijkaard and the Germans and the Argentines bringing outrageous diving and play-acting to the masses, Parkers deflection, Platts volley, Robson going home injured, Schillachi scoring a hattrick of headers (or am I imagining that?) Scotland being total dross, Leighton in particular
  • Columbian keeper
    Ronaldinho's magic in 2002
  • scotland getting their arses kicked by the uruguayans in '86, scotland getting their arses kicked by the costa ricans in 1990 and the germany france semi in 1982
  • Peter Shilton costing us two world cups and also 3rd place.

How did Maradona beat him with a crooked arm, when Shilton has 5 inches plus a legal use of hands to get to that ball?
    Why did he do little pitter patter steps backwards following the free kick deflecting off of Parker, instead of going backwards normally - and then thought he would wait to see which way the penalties were kicked before diving? No good diving the right way every time if you are not getting near it - just guess man.

And then tackled in the box by Baggio in the 3rd place play off.
  • I remember Georghe Hagi playing really well in '94 and sort of followed the Romanians as England weren't there.

Michael Owens goal v Argentina in '98 was probably the best moment for me though - shame we lost on pens though!
  • I can still vividily remember seeing Brazil in Mexico 86, Josimar's goal from about 35 yards flying past Pat Jennings, the quarter final Vs France with them winning on penalties, I was gutted!

Junior, Socrates, Zico, Falcao, Careca, Carlos in goal in all grey - legends!
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Peter Shilton costing us two world cups and also 3rd place.

How did Maradona beat him with a crooked arm, when Shilton has 5 inches plus a legal use of hands to get to that ball?
    Why did he do little pitter patter steps backwards following the free kick deflecting off of Parker, instead of going backwards normally - and then thought he would wait to see which way the penalties were kicked before diving? No good diving the right way every time if you are not getting near it - just guess man.

And then tackled in the box by Baggio in the 3rd place play off.

Must add those are not 'favourite' memories as asked for in title of thread.

They would include:
    Watching Scotland not get through group stages 86,90, after cheering them on in 78,82 before realising they didnt really like England.
    Platts volley v Belgium
    The Kuwaiti sheik ordering his team off after a goal was scored by France after the players thought they had heard a whistle (3-1 to France at the time) unbelievably the ref ended up cancelling the 'goal'
    Germany France semi final 1982
    Beckhams penalty against Argentina.
    The 3 Cameroon players who tried to bring down Caniggia in the 1990 opening game. The first 2 were bad tackles that he somehow managed to ride over, before the 3rd absolutely mullered him
  • Lineker's "over-excited" face when Platt scored against Belgium - just as he jumped into the pile of celebrating players.