Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What exactly was Mooney's Job?

I am still puzzling over a comment made by S. Sodje at the POTY. He had asked why the supporters booed Mooney as it had upset the whole team.I explained as best I could given that I hadn't understood it either. One of my comments was that he hadn't got the goals that we needed. Sam said immediately, 'But that's not his job'. I didn't get the chance to ask him to explain this, so please would the footballers help me out?

Comments

• Options
    Maybe the saw him more as a link up man. If that was the case who the hell was meant to score the goals. This isn't a negative post though. I thought Mooney came through the the 2nd leg of the play off and it's a shame he has gone back to Reading as he appeared to improve the more he played.
  • Options
    One good game and it wasn't that good does not make a player. Mooney was weak, lightweight and ineffective, he had no presence, his first touch was poor and his passing was awful. We can do better.

Thanks to him for his efforts in the last game, he played his part.
  • Options
    Mooney is a niche player. A split-striker whose role is to receive and retain possession in the central areas of the final third. And bring goals. The player that probably played this role the best was Peter Beardsley.

Almost as important for the player to be doing things right is that the rest of the team is in tune with him. I don't think it did much through the course of the season, either with Mooney or Shevey playing their. It was though in the 2nd leg and I thought Mooney played it to near perfection.
  • Options
    On form he linked the play, had a decent touch, worked hard, had good movement and scored the odd goal.

When he wasn't playing well he was ineffective. Without any real pace, strength or ability in the air, he had to get everything else right to offer something.

After seeing him for a season I think we should look elsewhere. Although he can be good on his day, too often he doesn't offer enough, just ends up outmuscled and out of the game.

Should be other options out there, but I have no idea who they might be.
  • Options
    i would like to see some harder type players,sick to death of lightweights who fall over and near cry all the time,we have a weak side it needs to be toughened up.
  • Options
    I disagree scoham, alot of the time he looked ineffective was down to the players around him. i dont remember him having a mare in any games i saw(admittedly not all), so i dont get why people dont like him and prefer others for eg. sodje

Mooney qualities are his movement, links up the play, often runs he makes will free up some space we can use, always worked hard regardless and like you said he did score the odd goal although admittedly he is not a goalscorer. I agree with the strength, also in the airm although 2nd leg against swindon feel he won a fair amount of headers and probably his best game with millwall home his 2nd notable performances, i'd love to see him resign but dont see it happen

definately would prefer to have him then akpoooo, although they are both different players just i prefer mooney, whos probably more of a luxury player
  • Options
    He is still new to professional footbal and has has little first team action, I like a lot of what Mooney does, but he does get muscled off the ball. parkinson told Burton pre summer last year he had to work on his fitness and his game during the summer and he came back as one of our best performers as oppossed to a player most of us were wondering why we had signed him (I think prior to his hattrick against Norwich on the last day, he had only scored one goal), if he is sent away this summer and "beefed up" in the weights room, maybe he could be the player someof us believe he could be.
  • Options
    I don't know, I saw him have some poor games, misplacing passes, losing the ball too easily and generally not offering much. Not talking about the JPT game up front on his own, the worst say we could possibly use him.

Mooney's the better footballer, but Akpo can be far more effective. You can see defenders are worried when he's around.
  • Options
    could be a hopeless task this season with those two as strikers.
  • Options
    Mooney scored our goal of the season against Gillingham and another cracker against Swindon in the POSF....

Is he Van Basten? No. But he is about what we can afford right now and he works his balls off so you can't ask for much more than that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At the moment I'm confident our two main strikers won't be Mooney and Akpo.
  • Options
    lets hope so,dreadful partnership.
  • Options
    I did notice quite often that he would make a run and point to the channels he created but that this was largely ignored or not noticed by the rest of the team. It also relied on other players skills to pass accurately. In one sense, he seemed too good for the squad around him, but as he got pushed aside far too easily, he wasn't good enough. He worked hard though and I very much appreciated that.
  • Options
    Well give me mooney over Akpo any day of the week if you want to watch an athlete play football run around all day and occasionally shoot on target then Akpo's your man. I agree there are lots of weak links in Mooney but he is miles above Akpo in terms of ability a good summer in the Gym adding a bit of muscle and speed and i think he would be the more usefull addition.

Certainly game for game he would out score akpo
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]I am still puzzling over a comment made by S. Sodje at the POTY. He had asked why the supporters booed Mooney as it had upset the whole team.I explained as best I could given that I hadn't understood it either. One of my comments was that he hadn't got the goals that we needed. Sam said immediately, 'But that's not his job'. I didn't get the chance to ask him to explain this, so please would the footballers help me out?

I would love to know who he thinks should have been scoring the goals when Mooney was playing.
  • Options
    'But that's not his job'.....
    Funny I thought it was precisely what the game was about to score goals.........or not to conceed them

Think this say's more about Sam's view of the way the team is set up!, or thought it was!
  • Options
    i agree totally with bourne
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Think this say's more about Sam's view of the way the team is set up!, or thought it was!

Each player will be given a role within the team and told how he's expected to play it. I expect in Mooney's case, he's told to draw defenders out of position to create space, make himself available to receive the ball on the floor, and bring team mates into the game - especially in and around the box.

Mooney's a grafter, but he is lightweight and not blessed with electric pace. But he does find space for himself, has good footballing intelligence and vision, and his link up play IMO is decent. If he can get on the end of knockdowns and loose balls, then he's good for a few goals too.

Team mates will appreciate what he brings to the table. And evidently so does his manager - which is why he picks him!

He came to League football at the end of August 2008 ...... he's relatively inexperienced and no doubt learning all the time.
    Hardly the finished article, I think there's a lot more to come from him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i agree totally with bourne

As do I. If he can add a bit of muscle and aggression to his game and can be paired with the right partner he has the potential to be a decent player beacuse his movement, for a striker, is the best we've had at this club since Darren Bent, and I really mean that. That finish on Monday night was top quality as well, as was the one vs Gills.

What he needs to find is more consistency and the right partner. Whether he stands a chance of finding those two things with us is debatable though, but he's a player with potential to improve and strengths that could see him play at a higher level, than ours, if his weaknesses are worked on. Akpo will, and has had, his uses for us, but at 30 he's unlikely to improve much and his strengths are 'lower league strengths', while his weaknesses are the kind of things that will be found out against better sides.
  • Options
    I think If mooney can add some physical strength to his game then he wouldnt fall over as much and he wouldnt give the ball away as often.

Saying that we are a 3rd division club with 3rd division players and we should all get used to it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Trouble is next season we will be lucky to get half a season out of Akpo as his knees are shot to pieces. Who was the last decent striker we had come up from the youths ? Tuna aside I (jury's still very much out there) I don't see anyone else coming through there
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]Who was the last decent striker we had come up from the youths ?

Paul Walsh was useful.

As was Daniel Defoe.
  • Options
    Gordon Watson?
  • Options
    I agree with Bourne too.

Does anyone know if when we signed Akpo on a permanent contract that was just until the end of the season - or was that for next season too?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]I agree with Bourne too.

Does anyone know if when we signed Akpo on a permanent contract that was just until the end of the season - or was that for next season too?

I thought someone said we signed full time :o( was after the play offs too, still think he could do a job for us just think others would do better

prove me wrong akpo!
  • Options
    Mooney loses the crowd when he pretends he is going for a ball he doesn't really fancy - you can't hide and think it isn't noticed. I think there's a much better player underneath this basic weakness. If its a physical thing surely he can be hardened up with the proper training/coaching.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I agree Oggy, I will be grateful for anyone that scores a goal for us, that was my point!.
    Cannot see how we can get on Tamer Tuna's back the lad scored the last time he was in a Charlton shirt albeit in the JPT.

He has a 1 year contract and wants to play, but to do that he has to be in the team , or at least on the bench!.

I appreciate he may be raw and a bit 'lighweight' in the muscle department but the lad has alway's scored, and remind me again what was our top strikers goal tally this past season..... precisely, so let us go with what we have got, a local lad from the academy if he fails
    well so be it!. But let's give the lad a few games before we dismiss him ( and the others). I agree he has to step up to the plate, time will tell.......
  • Options
    What about his 'performance' at the Toolbox?

A bit lightweight?

Do me a favour.
  • Options
    you need to remember Mooney is still fairly new to the professional game and i really do think he will progress over the next year or so.I have said all along I like him,so wouldn't be too disappointed if we signed,sorry I can't have akpo at all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Cannot see how we can get on Tamer Tuna's back the lad scored the last time he was in a Charlton shirt albeit in the JPT.
    Don't think buckshee was getting on Tuna's back, he's still got a lot to prove, all the young players have. Even Wagstaff and Basey haven't yet proven themselves as good enough to be first choice just yet.

Generally I agree though, fine having opinions on the young players, but if they've done enough to win pro contracts you can't write them off.