Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players you were sorry to see let go

I'm going to be contraversial here, but I genuinely feel that Chris Dickson was not given a fair go here. He had something different about him and had the ability to create something out of nothing. I for one would have liked to see him get another contract - but obviously it was never going to happen.

Also Karim Bagheri: someone who can score that many international goals must have been half decent. I remember watching him come on at Ipswich and thinking this is going to be the start of something big. Seemed to have a good first touch and pass, and by all accounts was dominating reserve matches, but seemed to just disappear.

Any others?

Comments

• Options
    Matt Holland

Chrissy Powell

both could have still offered something to us.

Jason Euell, jon fortune

there are so many
  • Options
    Jerome Thomas, he may not be effective every game, but no wingers are consistant.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Folev the red[/cite]Jerome Thomas, he may not be effective every game, but no wingers are consistant.

But it got to a point where Thomas wasn't effective in ANY games for us. 0 goals and 0 assists in the season we finished 11th.

See the Dicko threads for discussion on his 'quality'.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    None of the above.

Dickson is dire, Bagheri dissapeared so can't have been that good, Matt Holland & Chris Powell were too old, Jason Euell was not missed when he went and Jon Fortune was offered a new contract and chose to lease. Thomas was too expensive and too much of a luxury for a skint Champ team.

Primus I could never understand us releasing, in hindsight Turner was a shame but can understand why he was released at the time.

Lisbie was a silly one to let go IMO - just as we reached a level he would be effective at we got rid of him for nowt and bought Varney for over £2m!
  • Options
    Many years ago, a midfielder named David Madden, I thought he was a class act. Also Big fat Peter Garland and of course Super, Super Kev.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Lisbie was a silly one to let go IMO - just as we reached a level he would be effective at we got rid of him for nowt and bought Varney for over £2m![/quote]

Right, and just as he was finally 100% fit for the first time in years.
  • Options
    I thought Bothroyd was worth another year.
    I'd like Josh Wright to have stayed.
    Shame that Deano left - would have liked him to see out his time with us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brighton Addick[/cite]I'm going to be contraversial here, but I genuinely feel that Chris Dickson was not given a fair go here. He had something different about him and had the ability to create something out of nothing. I for one would have liked to see him get another contract - but obviously it was never going to happen.

Also Karim Bagheri: someone who can score that many international goals must have been half decent. I remember watching him come on at Ipswich and thinking this is going to be the start of something big. Seemed to have a good first touch and pass, and by all accounts was dominating reserve matches, but seemed to just disappear.

Any others?

I myself would say he had the ability to create 'nothing out of something'....were you at Vicarage Road?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brighton Addick[/cite]Also Karim Bagheri: someone who can score that many international goals must have been half decent. I remember watching him come on at Ipswich and thinking this is going to be the start of something big. Seemed to have a good first touch and pass, and by all accounts was dominating reserve matches, but seemed to just disappear.

I just had a look at who he scored against. He got 9 in 2 games against the Maldives. Iran beat them 9-0 and 19-0 so i'm guessing there's pub teams better than them.
    He got 6 against Guam in another 19-0 victory. 4 goals in 2 games against Nepal and another 4 in 2 games against Sri Lanka. Other goals came against the unknowns of Turkmenistan, Oman, Kyrgyzstan and Lebanon!
    So to say his international goalscoring record proves his quality is pushing it a bit. Also bear in mind we were a premier league side at the time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]Many years ago, a midfielder named David Madden, I thought he was a class act. Also Big fat Peter Garland and of course Super, Super Kev.

David Madden for sure was a great player who cost us nothing but we let him go before he reached 25 games so we did not have to offer him a contract, a truly shocking decision at the time by the Club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always thought we should have kept Radostin Kishishev, still playing for Litex Lovech now.
  • Options
    Scott parker.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Scott parker.

He was hardly 'let go'. Sold for 10m. I thought the thread was about players released.
  • Options
    I should have put a stupid smiley face thing.
  • Options
    Perry, Bothroyd, Kishishev, Iwelumo and Myhre are the five that instantly spring to mind.

I don't think you can count Parker and Reid as they went and helped the club financially, and Bent and Young were obvious departures. The above were players that were purely released/sold with no clear reasoning.
  • Options
    There have been so many over the years but a glaringly recent one was Chris Perry....bloody good little player Chris.
  • Options
    boothroyd - thought he had potential, just needed to adapt his game a bit. decent free kick taker as well.

josh wright - although i think that was more down to atitude than abiltiy.

chris perry - thought he could have stayed a bit longer

myles weston - seeing as he appeared on some many 'ones to watch' lists - was odd that we released him rather loaning him out for a couple of seasons

harry arter - same as above really.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]There have been so many over the years but a glaringly recent one was Chris Perry....bloody good little player Chris.

Dowie's first deed wasn't it? Chuck Chris Perry out... absolutely shocking decision, he'd still be our centre half now, we've both been tracking a decline and keeping to his level now he's a few years older!
  • Options
    Paul Mortimer after we got relegated from the Prem in 1999. His running style was similar to that of an 80 year old man and he was almost permanently injured, and obviously we didn't miss him as we stormed to the title the following season, but I missed him - absolutely mesmerising player on his day.

Deano shouldn't have been allowed to go, couldn't understand why Curbs went off him so quickly.
  • Options
    Di Canio for me. Although I understand why we did it, I remember feeling really gutted when he signed for Lazio.
    Denied seeing the genius in a Charlton shirt again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]Many years ago, a midfielder named David Madden, I thought he was a class act. Also Big fat Peter Garland and of course Super, Super Kev.[/quote]

David Madden for sure was a great player who cost us nothing but we let him go before he reached 25 games so we did not have to offer him a contract, a truly shocking decision at the time by the Club.[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that one up after after all these years. I actually wrote to him at the time to ask him what what was going on. He sent me a nice reply saying he wished Lennie rated him as highly as I did! As it turned out he lived quite near me at that time in Barkingside.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]Perry, Bothroyd, Kishishev, Iwelumo and Myhre are the five that instantly spring to mind.

I don't think you can count Parker and Reid as they went and helped the club financially, and Bent and Young were obvious departures. The above were players that were purely released/sold with no clear reasoning.

we got over 500k for Iwelumo. Far too little for what was an important player though
  • Options
    Deano, one of my fave ever cafc players and real shame to see him go when Myhre was the first choice and clearly not in same league. Could have done a job for at least another 2 seasons in the Prem when he left.

Kish is another one, could have done a job in the Champ and despite his faults, I was a huge fan.
  • Options
    Change this thread to 'Players you weren't sorry to see let go'

Be a 10 pager. . .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]There have been so many over the years but a glaringly recent one was Chris Perry....bloody good little player Chris.

+ 1 and Chrissy Powell on the same day. What the hell was that muppet thinking!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Folev the red[/cite]Jerome Thomas, he may not be effective every game, but no wingers are consistant.

Messi and Ronaldo aren't too bad!
  • Options
    Chris perry for me, shocked at the time.
  • Options
    Chris perry
    Thomas Myre
    Josh Wright
  • Options
    Jay Bothroyd, really annoyed me at the time and thought him and Bent could have made a decent partnership, never forgiven Dowie for releasing him.
  • Options
    Chris Perry, was gutted about that, as someone else said he could've done a couple more years.