Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burnley linked with Randolph

Though seems a bit flakey to me

From the Lancashire Telegraph

Charlton goalkeeper Darren Randolph is the latest name to be linked with a move to Turf Moor.

It would be a return to East Lancashire for Randolph if a deal was to go through.

The Dublin-born Republic of Ireland Under 21 international spent three months on loan at Accrington Stanley at the start of their Conference winning season of 2005/06 before being replaced by fellow Addicks’ stopper Rob Elliot for the remainder of the campaign.

Randolph has played second fiddle to Elliot for much of Charlton’s season, but featured in their unsuccessful play-off campaign after keeping five clean sheets in the last nine games when Elliott was injured.

Randolph has one more year remaining on his contract, as has Elliot, who impressed former Burnley boss Owen Coyle on Charlton’s last visit to Turf Moor in January 2009 and saved two penalties against Woking when Accrington achieved promotion back to the Football League.

But goalkeeper Maik Taylor, who had previously been linked with a move to Burnley this summer, has signed a new deal at Birmingham.

Comments

• Options
    Money for any of our players, is a bonus. I prefer Elliot as our long term keeper, and if we get money for Randolph it'll be a real bonus.

I thought Randolph only signed a one year contract last year? Should still get a fee whatever as he's under 24.
  • Options
    only if we offered him a new contract on at least the same wages.
  • Options
    We NEED to keep Randolph! Great Keeper.
  • Options
    bad move by both player and club
  • Options
    Would this be a good move for him ?

I think he would not want to go number two to Jensen , when he would have a good chance of being our number one next season.

I hope that Warner's release is a sign that Daren will still be here next year , I think he is at least as good as Robbie.
  • Options
    Was reading Burnley fans opinions on this the other day and they don't want him.

Randolph is out of contract in the summer
  • Options
    Nothings happened yet jeeeeeezus!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Was reading Burnley fans opinions on this the other day and they don't want him.

Randolph is out of contract in the summer
    He is but as said if we offer him a contract as good or better than his current one we would get compensation.
  • Options
    Were there really rumours that we are after Richard Wright if Randy leaves?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    1. IMHO he is our best keeper
    2. Moving to Burnley means he will most likely be #2 for at least one season by which time Burnley could be League 1 and we could be Championship
    3. Moving away from London to Burnley wont be easy, after a few months he will become depressed. Part of the diagnosis from local doctors will reveal that his depression stems back to his move away from Charlton. He will then try to combat his depression by visiting any local nightspot/local girls he can find and then he will end up on a disrepute charge at the club and his credibility as a human being and footballer will be shot to pieces leaving him out in the cold at Turf Moor and looking for a new club which may then be a basement club and he will have to start at the bottom again. Doctors will then advise that he needs stability in his life and needs to go back to the last place that made him truly happy.

Message to Darren: Rather than go through all this just stay where you are
    Message to Nicky Bailey: See point 3

Message to all Charlton players: The grass isnt always greener on the other side, you might think you can do better by playing in the Championship but please remember these words: Drastic things can happen in football in just a few years, only a couple of years ago Blackpool vs. Gillingham was a regular fixture, now these two clubs couldnt be further apart.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Was reading Burnley fans opinions on this the other day and they don't want him

Jenson might be a good shot stopper at times but he is a total calamity keeper which was exposed last season. They would be very lucky to get a keeper like Randolph but he wouldnt want to join a club than one thats heading back to League 1
  • Options
    Wouldn't he be backup to Weaver again?
  • Options
    Weaver has been released! Jensen might be leaving too...
  • Options
    IF (and it is a big IF at the moment) it would be a sad reflection of the whole (and well doumented elsewhere) Ikeme situation following which Parky stated that he would be happy to let Randy go in February. No club came in for Randy at that point because he was less exposed to one and all than he is now.

Given that keepers, generally speaking, actually get better with age this could end up being another to be added to the list of ones that got away.

I sincerely hope not.
  • Options
    Randolph may well be the better keeper, but we have two decent keepers and as Colin says to get a transfer fee for one of them would be a real bonus.
  • Options
    Randy should be No 1 over Elliott next season
  • Options
    There is no way we will keep both Robbie and Randy due to finances and the fact neither will fancy playing second fiddle, with Randy out of contract he is more likely to go and could do worse than Burnley. Jensen is a very average keeper and judging by the last 8-10 games, Randy is the better keeper and more than capable of being 1st choice at Burnley.
  • Options
    Need to keep Randolph...

He's got a good future...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Choice[/cite]
    2. Moving to Burnley means he will most likely be #2 for at least one season by which time Burnley could be League 1 and we could be Championship
    3. Moving away from London to Burnley wont be easy, after a few months he will become depressed. .

In regard to a couple of your points:
    I think Burnley with their premier league money behind them and keeping their squad together will more than likely be up there challenging for promotion.
    And he moved to us from Ireland as a 16 year old so moving away probably doesn't affect him that much.

As others have said, we won't keep both him and Elliot so with him being out of contract and Elliot being a Charlton fan i'd say it was more likely that Randolph will leave.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I was just mucking about there with the depression part, i was hoping he would read it and i could perform an act of propaganda upon him :)

Seriously though, Elliot being a Charlton fan does mean something but id rather keep the better keeper at the end of the day, im sure the goals conceded per game would indicate that Charlton were tighter with him in goal (i havnt checked that out so I may be wrong but i feel more comfortable with Randolph for some reason). Also Charltons premier league money didnt seem to do us much good either along with other clubs who have struggled after relegation, I think Hull will struggle aswell and Portsmouth well god help them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    Elliot being a Charlton fan i'd say it was more likely that Randolph will leave.

I was just mucking about there with the depression part, i was hoping he would read it and i could perform an act of propaganda upon him :)
    Seriously though, Elliot being a Charlton fan does mean something but id rather keep the better keeper at the end of the day, im sure the goals conceded per game would indicate that Charlton were tighter with him in goal

I'm undecided on who is better to be honest, Randolph is the better shot stopper but isn't great on crosses and Elliot has much better distribution.
    And does the goals conceded per game ratio make Randolph a better keeper or was that just a result of Parky tightening the team up overall after the Millwall debacle?
    To be honest i think goalkeeper is probably the one area of the side we don't have a problem with so if we can get a fee for one of them, then they will go and it might allow us to get a player in for another area of the team.
  • Options
    we wont go up with elliot as a regular keeper with us ....
    i don't care if a keeper supports millwall or charlton i want the better keeper for our club
    randolph needs a whole season before you can properly judge him but atm he is clearly a better keepr than elliot
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]we wont go up with elliot as a regular keeper with us ....

Whilst i can see your point, i can't think of many (if any at all) teams who won promotion off the back of their keeper. Teams win promotion by scoring goals and i'd say we were unlikely to win promotion until we get a goalscorer or two, not a good keeper. Did Norwich and Leeds go up because of good keepers or because they had Holt, Martin, Becchio and Beckford. Are Millwall in the shake up because of Morison or because of David Forde? And did Swindon make the play offs because of their great keeper (whose name i don't even know) or because of Austin and Paynter?
  • Options
    norwich certainly won at our place because of their keeper
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]norwich certainly won at our place because of their keeper

True but over a whole season i think it was down to their attackers
  • Options
    They scored some amount of goals i grant you that

when we went up and stayed up Deano was worth atleast 10 points, A good Goalie and a good striker and you have a chance

a good striker and a poor goalie you will go no where

good goalie and poor striker you go nowhere aswell we have proved taht this year
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]They scored some amount of goals i grant you that

when we went up and stayed up Deano was worth atleast 10 points, A good Goalie and a good striker and you have a chance

a good striker and a poor goalie you will go no where

good goalie and poor striker you go nowhere aswell we have proved taht this year

I agree, I think the keeper is an underrated position. 2-3 top class saves can be effectively worth a couple of goals
  • Options
    Goals per game is a rdiculous comparison. Anyone who watched us last season, would recognise that with Borrowdale in the side we suddenly had two very reliable defenders in Dailly and B. Combining that with Richardson who's usually quite reliable we suddenly had a defence that had three defenders generally positionally correct; and Sodje and Llera with their differing weaknesses.

Elliot for me has a much better temprement, from afar looks to have a really positive effect on the dressing room camaraderie - his support of Randolph was immediate after the pen shootout and genuine. I don't see Randolph's temprement improving with age, though his talent will easily see him good enough in the champ. He is an excellently talented keeper but one that I'd happily take money for, and get an experienced pro in like Royce on a fraction of the wage to support Elliot.

If he did go to Burnley, he is a much better keeper than Jensen and it would provide him with the opportunity to make a career that will set him up for 10-15 years in the top div. What loyalty should he show to us when Parky was clearly intent on destroying his career at Charlton?
  • Options
    Randolph would be a big loss. Elliott staring next season in goal isn't a comforting thought.
  • Options
    I'd be sorry to see either Darren or Rob go, but I'm not sure either would be happy sitting on the bench next season. IMHO they're both good enough to be first choice keepers in a League One side.