Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

KRBS sponsor Academy for 2 years

2»

Comments

• Options
    More like the KRBS Big Screen I would guess.
  • Options
    There you go

The KRBS Big Screen welcomes you to teh Valley

The KRBS East Stand
    KRBS Strong Ale
    KRBS Larger
  • Options
    Well I think any investment /commercial investment in the the club has to be a good thing, not only for the financial aspect, but the exposure that the club has in the wider business world. And if this helps sustain the academy for a further two years that is fine by me.

What we exchange in return may be another question! After players wages we have a massive empty stadium largely unused 6 days a week. Surely any financial gain that the club can profit from has to be considered in the current circumstances.

Say Fullers beers wanted to sponsor us for two years, and demanded sole monopoly of all beer sales at the Valley. In return for £2 a pint and an ad in the programme, 4 sites of advertising in the ground, and 5 plugs on the tv screen, wanted to rename the hospitality suite the ' Londoners Pride Suite' and oh £3 million a year to the club, are we going to turn this down because we cannot sell larger!...... Oh and they will also hold all there in house training and conference meetings at a commercial rates as well, to generate an annual income!.
  • Options
    The club has arrangements of this kind with suppliers, including the beer supplier, and has had for many years - albeit the sum you mention is, as you probably realise, off the scale of what is achievable.
  • Options
    Ken, we already sell the pouring rights for the Valley.

If Fullers wanted to do that then fine by me as I don't drink lager but I think your figures might be slightly out.
  • Options
    It does cost £1m+ a year to run as far as I know, as that's the cost our chairman, directors and manager quoted when we decided to stop being an Academy and revert back to a School of "Excellence".

If the sponsorship allows you to keep it running for 2 years then it's fantastic news for you and not to be sniffed at.

Now, if only the FA/UEFA brought in some legislation/policies to stop players from smaller clubs being poached for peanuts then it would be even better.
  • Options
    Your right SLL, some protection for smaller clubs should be in place
  • Options
    Whatever they're giving us - I'm grateful for it. If they can find ways of giving us other cash, then that would be even better.

Beggars can't be choosers and all that....
  • Options
    Say Fullers beers wanted to sponsor us for two years, and demanded sole monopoly of all beer sales at the Valley. In return for £2 a pint and an ad in the programme, 4 sites of advertising in the ground, and 5 plugs on the tv screen, wanted to rename the hospitality suite the ' Londoners Pride Suite' and oh £3 million a year to the club, are we going to turn this down because we cannot sell larger!...... Oh and they will also hold all there in house training and conference meetings at a commercial rates as well, to generate an annual income!.........

I was trying to put into context the idea of generating sponsorship and below and above the line marketing Henry and Airman, not link us with Fullers!, it was an illustration, and example! I am sure you do have 'pouring rights', and catering arrangements etc etc.... Does not mean that you cannot improve and review those arrangements. It was also to widen the discussion about how you welcome local business in partnerships with the club.I do remember that Charlton had an arrangement with Laidlaw re curbs and his car 'Alan Curbishley drives a Mondeo'. Well Laidlaw, Curbs, and the car is probably not here, but Ford are for instance..... well in a manner of speaking, but that is another subject!. Charlton are a brand, and need long term sustainable partners who recognise what the club is, and represents.
    The business we are in is football. Emotive as it may be, how Charlton exploit there 'brand' will be as important as how the team perform. The costs at the club have to be controlled, in the crazy world of football!
  • Options
    Not sure what you are getting at Ken.

The club have just broadened two relationships, with KRBS and with Macron, so they are doing that.

I doubt we'd turn down people, pretty sure they'd be happy to hear from any firms willing to sponsor us in some way but businesses aren't going to just throw money at us.

Tesco is the official England supermarket. Now it would be great to have an Official Charlton supermarket but none of them is going to be interested in us. The smaller local firms might be but haven't got the money to spend, especially now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am not disagreeing with you Henry! I am saying that firms /businesses are alway's looking for marketing ideas. You mention Tesco, they are in the process of building a village near Dagenham, and according to local reports;
    TESCO has rubbished reports it plans to build "mini-villages" in the Greenwich area.i.e. Woolwich

This week several national newspapers claimed the supermarket giant was planning to build mixed-use "mini-villages" with living and shopping areas in Woolwich and Streatham.

The company has denied planning anything so large scale but confirmed it is in talks with Greenwich Council over building homes and offices in Woolwich.

Your example: not mine!...... So what could be more appropriate than to have Charlton as a partner, with it's discussions with Greenwich council......... Perhaps someone should 'nudge' Peter Cordwell good story there......
  • Options
    What would be the marketing return on sponsoring Charlton?

They are not local

They are not looking to raise their profile

They don't want to alienate other clubs supporters

They already have a much higher profile football tie up

What we want is not necessarily what a potential sponsor wants.

Llanera and KRBS are/were local, they did/do want to raise their profile, they didn't have a much higher profile football deal.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Henry, That is not quite the way it works......

To get planning permission nowadays stores like Tesco have to 'provide ' a number of social and community outlets. Tesco are hoping to in Dagenham ( Hammers territory I know) build a village. Quite controversial, and therefore as a part of a pr campaign will probably support local community schemes. Now if a proposed site like Woolwich, or even on the Greenwich peninsular is to proceed it will look for partners.

Who says they are not looking to to raise there profile. Seen the newspapers and TV lately.......Why should they alianate other supporters! we can be England and Charlton some of us might even be prepared to put Country before club!.

How do we know what a potential sponsor wants!..... The idea was that hopefully there business would expand, and Charlton are a good brand to be associated with!.....We may be able to get back in the prem one day!.....

Wonder if Blackpool are so negative about there brand!....... Would not take a creative genius to link them with orange tango would it!......Something, Cheap, instant and not very good for you! : Blackpool that is......
  • Options
    I'm not being negative at all about our brand. Why are you reading it like that? I just think you are over-selling it and over simplifying how hard it is to get sponsorship

It's a very strong brand which is one reason we've always got bigger deals than our football status and compared to other clubs. Suthers doing a great job was another. The Trust was and is a real selling point.

Blackpool is interesting. Did Tango sponsor them last season? No, it was Cabrini same as us. Before that it was floors-2-go.

They also have deals with a local BMW and Mini dealership and Blackpool Leisure.

Of course now they are in the premiership they might have bigger suitors but that doesn't mean it will be Tango. It might be obvious to you but Tango might not want to be associated with football, might have other priorities, might be cutting their marketing budget, might think that Blackpool FC don't appeal to their core market, don't want to be associated with a club that will lose more games, might have an MD who hates football or who supports Preston.

It's really just not that simple
  • Options
    Dilemna, I have a couple of ISA's...I would like to invest them in KRBS given their generosity to my team...however our sponsors always go bust and I don't want to lose my money...could someone please advise!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Dilemna, I have a couple of ISA's...I would like to invest them in KRBS given their generosity to my team...however our sponsors always go bust and I don't want to lose my money...could someone please advise!
    If it's less than 35k, isn't it covered by the government anyway?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    1. our sponsors don't all go bust. Cabrini are still going as are Mesh. FADS were going for years after they stopped sponsoring us. Ditto the Woolwich. I think redbus got taken over. Llanera and all:sports went bust

2. KRBS have been around since 1841 and have assets of £2.2billion.

: - )
  • Options
    Viglen are still going too - they've got the contract to supply our new work PCs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]Viglen are still going too - they've got the contract to supply our new work PCs.

Is Viglen owned by Sir Alan Sugar?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: southamptonaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]Viglen are still going too - they've got the contract to supply our new work PCs.

Is Viglen owned by Sir Alan Sugar?

not sure - their top man usually appears on the apprentice though so presumably some link there