Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Pique, Maradona and World Cup Jumpers for Goalposts....

2»

Comments

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]Great Stuff Dan,

Do you know what, my boy (14) has NEVER been round the park to play football with his mates, not laziness but when we played for teams at his age, it was an hour training on a Saturday, a games on Sunday Morning (both followed by Charlton Park until dark with a bottle of Coca Pina, portion of chips from the Chinese Chippy, and playing the French exchange students at the back of Charlton House).

He has/had training twice a week since he was 7 (sometimes 3 times), Charlton on a Saturday, Matches everybloodywhere from Bromley to Dover on a Sunday, Chuck Karate for 3 years in there as well, he has never had the time. If he does get free time, he just 'chills' with his mates who have all had the same week.

I know we can blame pervets for not letting kids out but they were about then as well, my fear for him (and has been proved right) is/was getting mugged and stabbed. Kids had nothing to mug back then other than a Mitre Delta, but there was always so many playing football together it just wouldnt happen.

I was 10 as well for Mexico and remember aside from England games (watched the Poland game on my own, which I remember being late as me mum and dad were working in the Duchess of Edingburgh), the 6-1 game between Denmark and Uruguay, they were awesome Denmark and looked like they could score everytime they got the ball. I do remember however having no interest of the Final for whatever reason although I have watched it since.

1990 was my best memory and they were really great times with really great people, Terry Nayor on CL was a big part of that, the night at his house for the Semi was brilliant, BMWs in the Dockyard never stood a chance :-)

I think this could be the first time my boy really appreciates a World cup, it will be a release ( and I know how he feels from back in 86) from the crap he gets from his mates about CAFC. He, since he started going in 98 has really only ever had it good being a CAFC fan, but the last three years has been a learning curve, he always knew however crap England were in Major Tournaments he would be going dow the Valley in a couple of months to watch CAFC v Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd.

He will now get a chance of supporting a Team that has the ability to win something major, I'm sure he will be captivated this time and be able to forget for a month what has happened to his club, unless of course we get knocked out early and he can look forward to Dagenham at Home for an extra two weeks.[/quote]

CPL Dont forget The Mercs and VW'S LOL

I remember when we beat Belgium 1-0 I had about 12 pals watching it in my mum and dads flat 4 or 5 post on here and we ran down to the Woolwich roundabout and celebrated what seemed like for ages with all the cars bibbing and shouting out their windows!!
    I have somewhere the photos of all the St George crosses on the balcony with all us teenagers going mental!

Great days
  • In a replica of 1980, he bounced back from defeat in his favoured 800m event to take gold in the 1500m, with a devastating kick from 200m out leaving Steve Cram trailing a distant second

Sorry to be pedantic, but wasn't it Ovett who he beat, and at Ovett's favoured distance too?
  • 'Twas Ovett in 1980 and Cram in 1984 (Ovett having pulled up in distress during the race).

I guess AFKA meant the replica bit was in losing his favoured 800 but winning the 1500 both times.
  • Great article Dan.

I have a few distant memories of Mexico 86, mainly because my Dad helped me complete my Panini sticker album (as mentioned elsewhere!), he stayed up all night watching the games and filled the results plus scorers in even when USSR scored 6 - remember CCCP on the shirts!?!

I recall watching most of Italia 90, remember eating Savaloy, Chips & Beans while watching Cameroon beat Argentina. I remember watching Germany destroy Yugoslavia at the San Siro and of course England doing so well - I couldn't watch our game v Cameroon due to nerves!! USA 94 passed me by, I think I lost interest for a while in Football after Euro 92 ( Carlton Palmer in an England shirt!).

Watched every game at France 98, 2002 & Germany 2006 and looking forward to this world cup even though I'll be on honeymoon from the second round!

Will England ever win a world cup penalty shoot out!?!
  • Excellent piece.Sums up one of societies big problems today.

As for 86.Went to bed early and was woken up by my mum later that evening to watch England games.Linekers hat trick will live with me forever.That's when i got the bug.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]I never had a place where we'd all go to play football near where I lived

what ?? I remember coming home from school everyday, getting on my bike, rounding up the usual suspects and off to the residents association in Baldwyn's Park for a game of footie. Always about ten of us, ocassionally less, but it was great. Maybe you were too young I suppose. Debbie Bampton, went on to be England ladies captain, came sometimes and ran rings round us. Happy dayz.

I never went to Baldwyns Park after school. Sometimes at week-ends though.

[cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]I never had a place where we'd all go to play football near where I lived

I love watching the World Cup for the spectacle but can't get excited about England and whether they went out in the first round or won it wouldn't affect me one iota. Now, Charlton dropping a point to whoever, different story entirely.

Oh, give it a rest. You churn out this stuff so often that it reminds me of a Palace fan who insists that Charlton aren't rivals.

Thanks for the card btw
  • I've only just read this thread and glad I did. (bit more selective these days).

I guess most of our fondest memories are between the ages of 10 and 14. I can still remember so many games/scorers etc from that period of my life it's sad.

Being only 7 for the '66 world cup, my memories are hazy. Brazil in '70 though, well, I still smile every time I see that 4th Brazilian goal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8388238.stm

Had a thing about Brazilians ever since.......
  • bump, stumbled across this the other day i had wrote in the run up to the 2010 World Cup.

Would love to know what was your special World Cup as a kid.
  • Mine was 1982, I was 13 years old, never forget rushing home from school to watch Brazil v Italy. That Brazilian team was amazing, Socrates, Junior, Eder, Zico, Falcao, my favourite team ever, some of the goals they scored in that tournament were out of this world.. How they lost I have no idea they were cruising but just kept attacking and got caught. Other highlights for me were France, Platini, Tigana, Giresse, fantastic players. Roger Milla for Cameroon, Norman Whiteside playing at 17. If England had a fit Keegan and Brooking think we'd have gone further.

Been great seeing my lad who's 9 next week getting into this World Cup, he can't wait, has all the MatchAttak cards, tells me about his swaps each evening. Really looking forward to this one, maybe it being in Brazil makes it a bit special for everyone.
  • edited June 2014
    Being in primary school at the time, 2002 was the first major tournament where I watched all of the England games and understood what it meant to the country when the team did well. I didn't understand the significance of Beckham's penalty against the Argies though, I was just delighted that we'd beaten one of the supposed best teams in the tournament.

For the Nigeria and Brazil games, my school at the time held 'breakfast club' showings on a TV hooked up to a projector and a surround sound system in the assembly hall. Not quite a pub atmosphere I experienced for the 2nd round game against Denmark (I remember running around in the beer garden at half time pretending I was Emile Heskey after he made it 3-0) but I loved it just as much, if not more.

That was also the first major tournament where I got involved with the Panini sticker albums.

I'm 21 now, so this is my first "legal drinking" World Cup. Wish I wasn't working so many weekends and could make the most of it with my mates.
  • Sponsored links:

• The 1998 World Cup was my first and most special so far, i was 8 years old, Football had just become the love of my life(still is) due to a certain game at Wembley a few weeks before, im sure some of you remember it too? ;-)

I don't remember many games from it but i miss the innocence of watching a World Cup as a kid, where you don't care or know anything about the players off the pitch, they are just pure heroes, mine being Seaman, Campbell, Owen & McManaman at that tournament.

My biggest memory from that World Cup is being in floods of tears after Argentina put us out, no moaning about any injustices, just pure, i could not believe my heroes had not won.
  • Was still too young to fully appreciate '74 so my earliest memories are really of Argentina '78. Can vividly remember sitting in front of the box in absolute awe at the ticker tape coming out of the crowd and wondering why it wasn't like that on a Friday night game at The Valley!

Of course all the kids back then couldn't wait to get in the park and pretend we were Kempes, something which a few years later would have been unthinkable.
  • Some memories of 78 as a 7 year old, like the theme tune and the ticker tape.
    And winning little 'bet' on the score of the final with family members.

'82 - rushing home from school (lasy year in primary school) for the kick offs. Robson's goal, Kuwaiti Sheikh, Keegan (why didnt you just head it back across goal instead of that extravagant flick?),Brazil sweaty kit, Brazil v Italy, Match fixer Rossi's redemption, Franve v Germany, and Tardellis celebration.

'86
    15 years old, staying up late to watch matches, Robson's shoulder, wilkins red card, the boy Line Acher (copyright Mick Channon), Shilton and then Reid costing us the quarter final.

'90
    19 years old - first proper drinking world cup - selection of pubs/friends houses.
    Cameroon in the opening game
    England Players revolt to change system to using sweeper.
    Deflected goal against Egypt to top the group.
    Platts goal v Belgium
    Mass trouble on the streets.
    Catching a stomach bug so bad the environmental health officers came to my mums to see what conditions I lived in - Mum not impressed. Missing semi final with mate as bed ridden/house bound.
    Shilton costing us the world cup for 2nd tournament running.
    Shilton costing us 3rd place as well

'94
    Dont think there was one that year....

'98
    half day down Charlies in the city for the opening game v Tunisia - still there 13 hours later.
    Beckham Owen Simeone et al.
    Worst final in history

'02
    It's 7am and down The Arbitrage and it is beer o'clock
    metatarsals
    England in group of death.
    England Argentina - Beckhams redemption
    Work laying on bacon sandwiches for the Brazil game.
    England's goalkeeper yet again costing us the world cup.
    The stadia, the floating pitch.

'06
    The golden generation
    The Wags
    The horror of realising go on holiday day of England Portugal, and landing as kicked off.
    Getting a cab from airport instead of the coach.
    Telling everyone in the terminal we were one up after getting a wind up text from a mate.
    Watching the games whilst abroad for the first time
    Zidanes headbut

'10
    vuvu-bloody-zelas
    England shambles.
    4-1 down and Heskey comes on.
    French implode
    Holland turning into a pub team in the final

Sorry for rambling and in answer to the question, would say 86 and 90 are my special world cups.
  • For me it would have to be Spain '82. Remember the great Brazilian side with Socrates, Eder, Falcao and Zico and David Narey putting Scotland 1-0 up with a superb strike in what turned out a 4-1 defeat. Also recall a lone strike from Gerry Armstrong in an amazing 1-0 win over the hosts.

My education was hampered by a mysterious health condition that affected school attendance: World Cup Fever.....