Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shipbuilding

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]I can spend hours looking at the paintings of Edward Hopper.

nighthwk.jpg

now i like that 1
  • Options
    "Diving for dear life/ When we could be diving for pearls."

An incredibly powerful song, particularly in the context of its original release (during the Falklands war).
    A friend told me about hearing someone in his neighbourhood playing this at full blast on the day the first gulf war began...plus ca change...

Robert Wyatt was a perfect choice to sing it...Elvis's own version was good but didn't come near.
    Great sleeve as well.
  • Options
    ShipBuilding i know greenwich would obviously be full of ethusiasts however surely l'Arsenale in Venice is the place yoou want to go for the history leassons
  • Options
    RU, The first picture is called "Shipbuilding on the Clyde"
  • Options
    O the Clyde Scotland? I see its very dramatic but quiet muddly and full of action, thats the sort of portraits i like.
  • Options
    It is great - so full of action and life -the bloke staring at the artist really draws you in. Despite the non-natural style his face gives it realism. Puts me in mind of soviet propoganda posters too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]It is great - so full of action and life -the bloke staring at the artist really draws you in.

That's what I think.

The use of what seem like unnatural colours is great too and it feels really hot.
  • Options
    The third painting is my favourite of the bunch. I like something bright and cheerful the other's are a bit dull.
  • Options
    Henry - 'Not many paintings of men working in heavy industry'?

There must be some websites you could visit. Others on here will probably have passwords they could share with you.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]It is great - so full of action and life -the bloke staring at the artist really draws you in. Despite the non-natural style his face gives it realism. Puts me in mind of soviet propoganda posters too.

Completely agree Al, was going to write about the similarity to propoganda posters but it would have led me to admit that I like that style as well.

Henners, all I can think of re art/pop cross overs at the moment is Andy Warhol (like you), I am sure there must be a Bauhaus connection somewhere, if we can include furniture as art or indded miserable goth stuff as music/pop?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pictures of Matchstick Men - Status Quo LS Lowry (not mentioning Brian and Michael)

The Jam used a Roy Liechtenstein picture on a sleeve but can't remember which

Peter Blake and Sgt Pepper and Stanley Road
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Pictures of Matchstick Men - Status Quo LS Lowry (not mentioning Brian and Michael)

The Jam used a Roy Liechtenstein picture on a sleeve but can't remember which

Peter Blake and Sgt Pepper and Stanley Road

The only decent Quo song, I prefer Brian and Micheal to the rest of their stuff, particularly when they were playing for Denmark.
  • Options
    Surely the greatest pop/art crossover - Gilbert & George's dance to "Bend It"...
  • Options
    Didn't the Television Personalities do a song about Roy Lichtenstein, I can't check as my brother stole their albums of me several years ago.
  • Options
    Actually had a look on Wicki and found they did the following.

Salvador Dalí — The TVPs' fifth album, Privilege, features a song called "Salvador Dali's Garden Party."
    David Hockney — "David Hockney's Diaries" is the name of a song on the band's second album
    Roy Lichtenstein — The TVPs' label, Whaam!, was named after one of Lichtenstein's paintings. "Lichtenstein Painting" is the name of a song on the band's second album. An earlier version of the song (released by Treacy under the name The Gifted Children) was called "Lichtenstein Girl"
    Joan Miró — "An Exhibition by Joan Miro" is a song on the band's fifth album.
    Victor Vasarely — The painter is mentioned in "The Painter Word Pt. 2." Fellow Op Art artist Bridget Riley has a song named after her ("I Remember Bridget Riley").
    Andy Warhol — The Pop Art maverick is often mentioned in Television Personalities songs.
    The Lurkers — Punk band mentioned in "Part Time Punks".
    In the song "Goodnight Mr. Spaceman", Treacy relates that he wishes he'd signed to Alan McGee's Creation label (McGee was an avid supporter of the TVPs), feels like Edvard Munch, and can't dance like Primal Scream frontman Bobby Gillespie.

A very pop art band I would say
  • Options
    If you like art involving heavy industry and you happen to visit Northumberland, go to the museum at the former Woodhorn Colliery, near Ashington, and see the work of the Pitmen Painters. This was recently the subject of a brilliant play at the National Theatre, now transferred to Broadway. It was one of the funniest and most moving bits of theatre I have ever seen and involved the miners showing and discussing their artwork, which mainly involved the pit and their other daily surroundings in their pit village.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That Wyatt record is such a dirge it makes Valley Floyd Rd seem exciting. For Wyatt's best work, check out Nick Mason's solo album Fictitious Sports. I like that painting though - lot of energy in that.
  • Options
    isn,t dirge exactly what the song is meant to be?
  • Options
    Sorry, I was using dirge as a cheap insult meaning dull rather than as a distinct musical style - I think shipbuilding neatly fits both categories though ;-)
  • Options
    Robert (Bob) Wyatt was a prefect at my old school...............he was a right front end shunt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2010
    My abiding memory of robert wyatt is my late mate doing a very un pc impression of him 'dancing' in his wheelchair on TOTP to his cover of i'm a believer.

RIP Brizz. 30 years but not forgotten