Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So who of our current players is going to "step up to the plate" and excel next season?

2»

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]I just can't understand why any of you want Mooney back, or is it a wind-up that I don't get?

One for next year - Tuna

How about if I said I want Curb's back?
  • I too thought Stavrinou was very promising but lots of people I talk to dont think he,ll make it.
    Is he good enough or not ?
  • Wasn't he voted Young Player of the Year at Ebbsfleet?

Must have something about him.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Wasn't he voted Young Player of the Year at Ebbsfleet?

Must have something about him.
    Yeah he was. Though League One is a big step up, and they were relegated in the end.

I'd say most of the young pros are just promising at the moment, could go either way. You get the odd one that stands out like Shelvey, but most still have a lot to prove.

Depends what you mean by 'make it' as well, has Basey made it? Not a regular in the first team yet, but usually in the squad.
  • Randolph to get new contract

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=18973&headline=Darren%20Randolph%20to%20be%20offered%20new%20Charlton%20contract
  • hello everyone. new to this site. i think everyone has to step up in the team or we are stuck in this league for a long time,for me its got to be tuna and i can see waggy being important next season.
  • I'm sure Tuna can get a plaice.
  • edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]How about if I said I want Curb's back?

Well, Curbs was a success, Mooney was a total failure.

To answer your question, although I don't see it's relevance then yes, at the present time I would welcome Curbs back.

I still think I was right at the time to think Curbs should go, it was the replacements we got wrong....but that's a different topic completely.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I'm sure Tuna can get a plaice.
    I heard if Llera is sold, Mambo will be number 5.
  • Ben Davisson is one who could get a chance next season, showed briefly away at Barnet he has talent and with Charlton not having a left winger on their books (yet) and the likelihood that Sam will be off, maybe he will be on the bench a few times. If we play more than 3 cup games next season then maybe the likes of Davisson, Tuna, Jenkinson and Mambo will get some starts.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have to admit to not knowing an awful lot about the academy players but I have a suspicion that we may be seeing more of them now than we have for a while. I think Basey is an example of how it can work for us, maybe not a regular starter (yet) but a solid squad member and easily good enough for this level at least. I'd say more are likely to follow this path than 'do a Shelvey' but who knows? Maybe someone will come out of nowhere and break into the team. At the age some of them are a lot can change very quickly as they develop, physically and mentally.
  • Wagstaff is the man I want to see next year. We obviously need balance with a proper left winger, but I'd like to see Waggy make that right hand side his own, taking his chance with both hands. He's come into the side a lot younger than Sam did, for obvious reasons I guess (the league we're in being the main one) but he has always impressed me when coming on this year. He always seems to want to beat his man more than Sam, and isn't afraid to shoot, which has been shown with his goals this year.
  • Basey would be at home in the middle of the park, as a box to box player too not just as a defensive guard dog.

Tuna will get games but is still very much a boy in his build, we need to be careful about putting too much inexperience in the side next year all at once.

Solly plays without fear but is behind Richardson and shouldn't get a game ahead of him yet.
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Basey would be at home in the middle of the park, as a box to box player too not just as a defensive guard dog.

Basey's passing is always going to make him more than your average defensive midfielder but his pace is never going to let him play box to box.
  • A good engine is far more important than pace, he don't give the ball away much and is solid into challenges and never bottles
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]A good engine is far more important than pace, he don't give the ball away much and is solid into challenges and never bottles

glad someone else agrees with me.

Mark my words he is a future captain of this club
  • Like many on here, I am looking to see Basey and Wagstaff kick on next year. The latter, particularly impressed me this season, as based on previous showings I thought that he wasn't good enough. Fair play to the wagster.

As an aside, I was talking to a Wednesday fan yesterday who was looking forward to having a certain Mr A Sodje leading their line next season and was convinced that he would be deadly at this level....
  • like he has been this season lol
  • Another vote from me for Basey.

I've always thought he had all the makings of a cracking 'Charlton type' player and have long defended him on here when he was being criticised ..

Where he plays is another matter. I like him at full-back and have always said his so-called lack of pace has been exaggerated. But yeah, he could play in the middle. His versatility is a bonus.

If we keep Randolph I hope he gets the nod over Elliot, too. I thought he was a revelation when he got his chance and one of the main reasons we made the play-offs. I think only Semedo topped him in AFKA's insanse stat bank and that was entirely deserved.

More concerned about up-front, though. Would like to see Tuna given a decent chance...
  • Basey does lack pace and no ammount of ability can make up for that in the role expected of full backs in the modern game. Might get away with it to a certain degree in the third tier but no higher. I think he does have real potential to go on and be good for us but I just cannot see it being as a full back .
  • Sponsored links:

• i keep reading comments about tuna that makes me laugh so much. the fact that he is not ready yet because he is not built like a big lump. he is 5ft 10 inch and 12stone and twice the size of nicky forster yet most people on this forum cant get out of forsters a...rrrse, and yeah forster and mooney has helped us get out of this league!!! yet we have had a striker score for the 18s the reserves the first team the youth cup regularly. its not rocket science.