Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The reason Spain and Italy produce better players than us...

In England there is one Uefa-qualified coach for every 812 people who play the game. In Spain there is 1 for every 17 people who play the game. In Italy the ration 1:48. I find these statistics staggering. See link below for full story.

Link

Comments

• Options
    England U-17s won the European Championships on Sunday beating Spain in the Final 2-1.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]England U-17s won the European Championships on Sunday beating Spain in the Final 2-1.

haha - was gonna post the same thing, kinda blows that theory out the water eh !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]England U-17s won the European Championships on Sunday beating Spain in the Final 2-1.

some of the football they played was top drawer as well. Conor Wickham looks a special talent. We also had a black lad at the back who was superb....15 years old. Some of the spanish kids looked about 30.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]

haha - was gonna post the same thing, kinda blows that theory out the water eh !
    Probably just really good physically, once the Spanish players catch up in a few years they'll be far too clever and technical for the English players to match them ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]

some of the football they played was top drawer as well. Conor Wickham looks a special talent. We also had a black lad at the back who was superb....15 years old. Some of the spanish kids looked about 30.

That kid must have fallen asleep in a greenhouse, he was huge!
  • Options
    England also reached the final of the last under 19 and under 21 European championships.
  • Options
    They're rubbish though, too many foreigners in the game, not enough English talent coming through blah, blah, blah.
  • Options
    Funnily enough they say exatly the same about us having better players (more heart) than them.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The other parts of those stats that are misleading are:

England seems to have a lot more REGISTERED players than Italy or Spain.

It only mentions UEFA qualified coaches.

So is it that more players register here? Certainly you have to in order to play even U7s football.

Which other qualifications are available in England ie FA or local qualifications? that perhaps coaches are taking instead.

Not saying we can not improve or learn from abroad but that article seems to take one very narrow aspect of success.
  • Options
    Also doesnt state whether other nations require their coaches to achieve 2 or 3 national level badges (FA) before being able to take the UEFA badges.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A lot less people actually play the game in Spain, so that would skew the coach-to-player ratio. It may be the same in Italy too.

I worked in Spain for a while and got to know the football set-up there. It has much less depth compared to our pyramid system.

Players generally are technically better in Spain, but I wouldn't say the coaches are much different. Spanish coaches have a preferred way of playing (building from the back, much less pressing of the player in possession etc), but that style makes sense in a hot climate.

When I did the coaching badges here in the UK (several years ago), it was very formalised and didn't encourage innovation at all. I don't know about the UEFA badge, but I would hope that it covers the basics while allowing for development. Most of our coaches, including the top men, are pretty much clones of one another in a tactical sense. Obviously I'm not talking man management skills here ... just pure football coaching expertise.