Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Im in a rock and roll band final

If people could tear themselves away from Has Britain got talent..... The BBC held a live fianl to see who would vote for there favourite Rock and Roll band and individuals.

Of course Henry will be more than a little pissed that Led Zepplin won the group, and that Page, Plant and co got honorable mentions,( runners up) as well as Bonzo winning best drummer!

But for me the most deserved was of course Hendrix. I am never too keen on polls ( unless of course they confirm your own taste!) But Jimi advocated by Vic Reeves was so deservedly a winner it was almost awkward to nominate the others......

Yes we all have our favourites, but where were the younger band members! U2, The Smiths, and so on!

40 years and you still 'do not hear surf music again'... and in 40 years time how many of today's groups will even be remembered let alone celebrated!

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Most likely says more about who is watching those shows.

It was very heavy rock orientated anyway from the one show I watched half of and then turned off.

Jimi yes, great funky guitarist. But other than him and Mercury it was very white.

The other three, Absolute shite from three absolute shite bands. IMHO of course : - )
  • Most diabolical programme thw Beeb has put on in years.

Backslapping, old pals act at its worst.

All it needed was that fat idiot James Corden and I wouldve kicked in the telly.
  • 'Most likely says more about who is watching those shows.'

Sad old gits like me Henry..... I did not vote, never been one for these sorts of things, just surprised that Zep got the top band vote!
    I appreciate that these shows always annoy as well as please, but was surprissed that Zep and co did so well!
    Pink Floyd, The Who, The Stones from that era alway's get overlooked!

I know you are not going to get Robert Johnston, and Muddy Waters in these sort of programmes, but you would have thought they would have got more of a mention.

Still I am happy that Jimi is remembered, despite the fact that his music is rarely played on the BBC.
  • they wouldn't have Robert Johnson on as there's no film of him (as far as I know) and Page might have to admit ripping him off something rotten down the years.

Just think the nominations were a bit predictable and very Heavy Rock, not rock and roll.
  • Knew the programme was going to be bollocks so didn't bother watching it - but there cannot have been a band more deserving of 'biggest rock band ever' than Led Zeppelin. Jimmy Page is a genius (and that term isn't used lightly here) - he didn't 'rip off' blues guitarists - he WAS a blues guitarist, at least in the early stuff. All 12 bar blues is basically the same anyway - you may as well say that every blues guitarist that ever lives is ripping off the first twelve bar blues number ever recorded.

The later Zeppelin stuff is the true genius - despite all the shite said about Stairway to Heaven it's still an awesome song, Kashmir has two of the best riffs ever written in the same bloody song and Achilles Last Stand is the most underrated song of all time - but some of the earlier stuff was incredible too (Rock and Roll is brilliant and Whole Lotta Love is like a sustained, multiple orgasm for guitarists.
  • It was a bit more than playing 12 bar blues which I agree does go back to the same roots.

They took Robert Johnson and other blues singers tunes, recorded them and claimed they'd written them.

I'm no Led Zepp expert, thank gawd, but i think they were taken to court at least once and settled.

it's a matter of taste but how you can say "but there cannot have been a band more deserving of 'biggest rock band ever"?

It was called "Rock and Roll band" and they supposedly beat the Beatles, the Who and, the band I would have picked, The Rolling Stones (not adverse to a bit of a tune nicking either, mind)
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It was a bit more than playing 12 bar blues which I agree does go back to the same roots.

They took Robert Johnson and other blues singers tunes, recorded them and claimed they'd written them.

I'm no Led Zepp expert, thank gawd, but i think they were taken to court at least once and settled.

it's a matter of taste but how you can say "but there cannot have been a band more deserving of 'biggest rock band ever"?

It was called "Rock and Roll band" and they supposedly beat the Beatles, the Who and, the band I would have picked, The Rolling Stones (not adverse to a bit of a tune nicking either, mind)
    The Beatles made one great album, two average albums and a lot of old shite. The Stones were average for most of their career. The Who were up there - but not as good as Zeppelin imho (Townshend wasn't a truly great guitarist, and Daltrey wasn't a patch on Plant as a vocalist but their songwriting was fantastic). Besides, Zeppelin's music is unfathomably weak compared to Sabbath, who were never likely to even get a look-in despite being more influential than Zeppelin were.
  • What about the Floyd??
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]What about the Floyd??
    Meandering prog toss.

:o)

Just joshing - Floyd are awesome - but they're less 'rock' than Zeppelin, The Who or Sabbath.
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It was a bit more than playing 12 bar blues which I agree does go back to the same roots.

The Beatles made one great album, two average albums and a lot of old shite. The Stones were average for most of their career. The Who were up there - but not as good as Zeppelin imho (Townshend wasn't a truly great guitarist, and Daltrey wasn't a patch on Plant as a vocalist but their songwriting was fantastic). Besides, Zeppelin's music is unfathomably weak compared to Sabbath, who were never likely to even get a look-in despite being more influential than Zeppelin were.

Plant better than Daltrey? Even Jagger is better and he ain't all that. I personally blame Plant and his screaming for the all the terrible screaming metal bands that came after.

And it wasn't their songwritting half the time as I said : - )

The Stones may well have been average for most of their very long career but when they were good they were the best and Begger's banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile are all better rock and roll and better blues than LZ could ever manage.

If you are into screaming and lots of riffs plus some lyrics about Alister Crowley or some such nonsense them fine but they could never write anything as funky or evil as sympathy for the devil or as anthemic as Won't Get fooled Again.

And Free and Bad Company (neither even mentioned on that list on the TV show) were a better blues/rock band than Zepp and Kossoff/Rodgers better singer/guitarist.

In fact so were Crazy Horse, Little Feat and Van Morrison's Band.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]

LMFAO.
    Nice wind-up pal.

As for Jimmy Page a genius (and you don't say that lightly-guffaw), I think I'll go with songwiter, producer and very talented guitarist.
    I once had the misfortune to have to sit through 25 mins of him fannying around with a violin bow on his guitar surrounded by a bunch of hippy sheep creaming themselves over his self-indulgence.
    BTW without the other groups mentioned being there first there would never have been a Zeppelin and Page and his publicist wouldn't have had to shite over the hapless Dave Davies for some cheap publicity before they were known.
    Sabbeth, eh? Yeh, good one
  • Sad old gits like me Henry..... I did not vote, never been one for these sorts of things, just surprised that Zep got the top band vote!
    I appreciate that these shows always annoy as well as please, but was surprissed that Zep and co did so well!
    Pink Floyd, The Who, The Stones from that era alway's get overlooked!

To quote myself.... I knew it would cause a argument.! Pity as I personally think that period of music was particularly rich in not only good musicianship, writing, and production, but performing.
    I listen to this genre of music, all the time, I love the live music of free, the raw blues and sheer brillance of Rory Gallagher. The genius of Hendrix.

I also love the early blues and bands like John Mayall and Jeff Beck, as well as Frank Zappa and so forth. God I even liked Yes and ELP! now there is a confession!.

My main point is where are the young musicians of today! Even the cover bands last night could play......live How many these days at a festival like the IOW. Snow Patrol, and Coldplay, and a handful of others, but they really are support bands compared to the lot listed above, A sort of Moody blues level really in musical levels.....
  • the young bands are out there somewere practising in the drumers bedroom, the guitars too loud and I can't hear the words...........

its just that we are too old to know who they are.

Yes and ELP' ffs. There was so much good music then but that was not part of it
  • Yes and ELP' ffs. There was so much good music then but that was not part of it

Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman, Carl Palmer, Keith Emerson ..... not good musicians then Henry,! blimey you must know some good ones.

just remind me nowadays who you put forward.... Dizzee Rascal, and Coldplay......
    Your Robbie Williams for Bob Dylan.
    '
    I would stand up Joni Mitchell against any female today. Who have you got Florence and the Machine.... Nice little 'pop stars' footnotes in the pages of history Henry I am afraid.........
  • won't argue against Joni or Dylan but who of their own generation could stand with them.

Good musician the others are certainly.
    My arguement is that is wasn't good music then and it isnt now.

There are and will be other talents. music didnt die when buddy holly's plane crashed or when the beatles split..
  • Henry Irving in anti Led Zeppelin yawn fest shocker.

I bet it was the "cool" kids who liked LZ back in Henry's day. The ones who didn't wear cardys and got "action" whilst HI was at home in his bedroom trying - and failing - to learn to play guitar and, ahem, getting teenage kicks all through the night.
  • off it in unfunny attempt at humour about something he knows nothing about and misunderstanding lyrics of Undertones classic shock.

Word of advice. When the big boys are talking music and making jokes about it which are going right over you head just stay out of it or you'll make yourself look silly like you just did.

Love and kisses
  • Oh you're so right Henry, I really do feel so foolish now that you have put me straight.

Life must tough when you are always right. Good job we have you around , that's what I say.

Actually, whilst I'm here maybe you can help me. What does the word sanctimonious mean?
  • Teenage Kicks.
    It's about w**king yes?
  • santimonious is what you were when you waded in to a fun thread with your size 12 boots.

It was a joke, Ken mentioned me by name cos it was funny cos he knows me, has met me and knows I don't like them.

it was a JOKE. everyone was laughing. You got it wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• LoL at this.
  • I think everyone knows by now that you don't like them HI, which is why your continued digs are, quite frankly, boring.

There, I've said it. You're boring. Sorry and all that, but someone had to tell you.

Oh no doubt you'll try and come back with something "clever" to prove just how intelligent you are, you can't help yourself. I'll let others be the judge of whether you do or not.

See ya Benny.
  • haha all the oldies having a barney over music.

Just listen to boom boom boom music that all us young'ens listen too. It all sounds the same so no one is better or worse than anyone else
    ;-)
  • To have Jonathan Ross presenting and Martin Kemp speaking for one of the bands says it all.
    The greatest Rock 'n Roll band in the world are the band that have called themselves that for more than 40 years - The Rolling Stones.

As for tune nicking, well I think it's actually being influenced. everyone is influenced in music, nothing is totally original.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]the young bands are out there somewere practising in the drumers bedroom, the guitars too loud and I can't hear the words...........

Aaah, the Members, what an excellent little band they were
  • Can anyone explain how Queen and Freddie Mercury got nominated?