Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Throw ons

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    I reffed for about five years and found that the more usual source of foul throws was the over-stepping of the line. You see that a lot even at pro level. As you rightly say, part of the foot can be on the line, but none of the foot must touch the field of play. I confess never to having seen anyone throw the ball on (or in) by standing with their heels on the line and the rest of the foot in the field of play but not touching it. And it escapes me as to why anyone would want to do that.

quote]

You reffed for five years without knowing the throw-in law Dave? Tut tut.

Foul throws and other common misconceptions
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    I reffed for about five years and found that the more usual source of foul throws was the over-stepping of the line. You see that a lot even at pro level. As you rightly say, part of the foot can be on the line, but none of the foot must touch the field of play. I confess never to having seen anyone throw the ball on (or in) by standing with their heels on the line and the rest of the foot in the field of play but not touching it. And it escapes me as to why anyone would want to do that.

quote]

You reffed for five years without knowing the throw-in law Dave? Tut tut.

[url=[url]http://www.fryclubfc.co.uk/FCJ%20Stuff/LOAF/laws_of_the_game.htm[/url]]Foul throws and other common misconceptions [/url][/quote]

I don't want to over-emphasise the point, but that's crap. The current Law states that "At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower has part of each foot either on the touch line or on the ground outside the touch line". Feet on the field of play with a bit of the heel touching the line is illegal ... despite what the august soccer guru who runs www.fryclubfc.co.uk may say.

And you're cautioned for dissent!
  • Options
    The examples comply with all the requirements in the laws of the game.

It doesn't say anywhere in the laws that part of your foot can't be over the line, you're just assuming that part.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]The examples comply with all the requirements in the laws of the game.

It doesn't say anywhere in the laws that part of your foot can't be over the line, you're just assuming that part.[/quote]

Not assuming. Just aware of the Law.

If what you claim is allowed, don't you think the Law would be worded differently? For example, "At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must avoid having all of each foot on the field of play".

That's red now, player. Off you go.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]The examples comply with all the requirements in the laws of the game.

It doesn't say anywhere in the laws that part of your foot can't be over the line, you're just assuming that part.

Not assuming. Just aware of the Law.

If what you claim is allowed, don't you think the Law would be worded differently? For example, "At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must avoid having all of each foot on the field of play".

That's red now, player. Off you go.

Well here's another (actual referee's forum.)

When the ball is delivered (released) by the thrower, he should be facing the field of play - this normally means that he also faces the direction in which he is going to throw the ball. He must have part of each foot either on the touchline, or on the ground outside of the touchline. The thrower is allowed to have a part of his feet inside the field of play, so long as part of both feet are either touching the touchline or outside of it. For example: if a thrower has both heels on the touchline, and his toes extend into the field of play, then this is OK, and the throw-in should be allowed to take place. Both feet must be on the ground as the thrower delivers the ball from his hands. He must use both hands with "equal force". The thrower must deliver the ball from behind and over their head in a continuous motion. This does not mean that the ball must leave the hands from an overhead position. A natural throwing movement starting from behind and over the head will usually result in the ball leaving the hands when they are in front of the vertical plane of the body. The throwing movement must be continued to the point of release.

Source:
    The Corsham Referee's association.

and here's Keith Hackett joining me in the 20% of people who are correct.

You are the ref

I can't find anywhere that says "if part of your foot is over the line it's a foul throw" Please help.
  • Options
    Well ... fair enough. It looks like I'll have to defer to your rigorous analysis and pedantry.

But I maintain this ... anyone who has ever played and/or refereed will disagree with this. Throws have always required the thrower to release the ball from behind the head and to have no part of the foot over the line. It's a lowering of standards in my book - and a sop to those who can't throw it very far or get the ball caught up in their hair.

I can only assume that this is a relatively recent change of interpretation by FIFA and one which should have been brought to my attention in the form of a hand-written letter, personally delivered by Sepp Blatter.

And what comes next? Why, you'll be telling me soon that I can no longer caution a player for having an effeminate walk or an unwaxed moustache.

No wonder the game is going to the dogs.
  • Options
    It's really bugging me.

I don't think you can call them foul throws because they seem to be within the laws.

It's just the way they throw it that looks wrong!
  • Options
    I totally agree with Stone. Regarding the feet. This is law. A player can have both heels on the touch line and his feet on the field of play and it still be a legal throw. As regards the release of the ball as long as it comes from behind and over the head it surely is legal. I am sure people would be going barmy if every other throw was penalised. Dave, Stone is making good points and he officiated at a very high level, higher than me and knows what he is talking about. Listen to him and learn. Stop giving all this yellow card, red card nonsense as you're simply showing yourself up.

"I reffed for about five years and found that the more usual source of foul throws was the over-stepping of the line. You see that a lot even at pro level. As you rightly say, part of the foot can be on the line, but none of the foot must touch the field of play. I confess never to having seen anyone throw the ball on (or in) by standing with their heels on the line and the rest of the foot in the field of play but not touching it. And it escapes me as to why anyone would want to do that."

Let's have it black and white. What you've quoted above Dave is INCORRECT and as a referee you're not applying the laws of the game correctly. A player's foot can be either on or behind the line. Those are the important words. A player CAN stand with the back of his heels on the touch line and his feet on the field of play and as long as the feet do not move he can deliver a throw in and it be legal. I distinctly remember this from my referee training. There is no such law that states if any part of the foot is on the field of play it's a foul through.
    I run about 40 semi-pro (Isthmian League/Conf South) lines, that's about 5 a month, and you see a player's toes on the field of play and the bench go up screaming at me for a foul throw, it isn't and I have to explain that to them and they claim I don't know the laws of the game but as Stone and I have proved we do!
  • Options
    This doesn't answer the question of who is the bloke behind me that shouts out "foul throw" after almost every thrown in! Give it a rest please!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Tough one that Dave. 'The whole of the ball' - Even when I did the ref's course it seemed a grey area and we were advised that if the whole of the apex of the ball was over the line then we should call it out. So if you were looking down on the ball, some of it would still eclipse the line, but it would technically be out. I think it's a rule that needs some more clarity.

So do you enjoy totally making stuff up?