Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ITV HD

Like Stone and others (see england v usa match thread), I missed the goal due to the feed going into an advert.

Screamed for the remote because I thought one of the cats had sat on it and changed channels. Cat paniced and made a dash for the cat flap leaving scratch marks on the wodden floor.

Why did thid happen with the feed on one of the most eagerly awaited HD TV events of the year? I think ITV need to let some heads roll.

I'll never moan about the Beeb's coverage again.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2010
    I have an Hd tv but not an Hdtv box so I saw everything in glorious standard definition. What is more perplexing is the tv directors of these games (which i presume are South African with the rest of the world getting picture feeds) and their habit of showing everything at least 8 times in slow motion including facial expressions whilst they completely neglect the match going on in the meanwhile. I noticed there were several slo-mo replays of a run of the mill US corner but nothing of Dempseys goal until half time. It appears that we are having the action directed by the same people who did exactly the same thing in France 98. I.e focus on all the minor things in major detail and forget all the major talking points.
  • Options
    Snap Alex..... had the same experience at a freinds house, I also noticed that the HD came on and off!..... Some of the camera angles were poor as well.I appreciate this may have been a live feed, through a SA company, but the bloody adverts ruined it for me!. I appreciate that ITV has to maximise its revenue, but they cocked up the Champions league a few weeks ago with the Nike advert, they seem so desperate to maximise the adverts that the pace of the game gets screwed. The commentary was poor as well IMO. The highlight of the game was the goal and we missed it!.......... ITV need to get it's act together.
  • Options
    The Nike ad Ken are they actually now putting ads during actual games or was that another cock up?

Also noticed on paupers ITV that I watched they didnt show the line ups just before kick off when the players came out (unless I missed it)
  • Options
    Given the importance of the game that has to be the worst TV coverage ever. There was a definite change in the second half with less replays, but it was not in HD.
  • Options
    Somebody tweeted last night "ITV making the unmissable missable". That about sums it up for me.

Chiles is excellent but all he's doing is linking ad breaks!
  • Options
    I can imagine Michael Grade must be fuming. Trying to turn round a flailing station in an ultra competitive market and his employees seem to be doing their damnedess to screw it up.

I wonder how many companies are pulling their adverts for the world cup final as after last night i reckon 90% of viewers will watch it on the Beeb and so they wont get top dollar in ad revenue.

If it wasnt for Corrie and they CL games I think they would go bust by Christmas.
  • Options
    Chiles is an aggravating cu@?

He really must be fckin someone to vet all the gigs he does.

And people moan about corden
  • Options
    Dave Moss, head of ITV programmes sport is a Charlton fan and a good mate of PV.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Dave Moss, head of ITV programmes sport is a Charlton fan and a good mate of PV.
    As in the words of Gene Hunt, PV needs to have a word in his shell.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Watched it in a pub just outside Lincoln...HD massive screen....200 people screaming and shouting in anguish was not a pretty sight.
    The landlord and bar staff got some big time stick as most folk thought (not unreasonably) someone at the pub had screwed around with the remote or channel controls.
    The landlord went barmy and started to question all the staff....they would have only found out today exactly what had happened I assume.
    I suspect someone at ITV will be awarded the DCM before the day is out................DCM = "Don't come Monday"!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And another thing - though this is from the feeds. The directors really need to think about when they show the scoreline banner. Here's a guide as they obviously haven't thought it through: As a general rule try to show the scoreline when the ball is out of play. If you can't to this show it when it is on the far side of the pitch i.e. the top of the screen. Never, never, never show it when a winger is running down the near side with the ball.
  • Options
    75% of that game was not in HD as they switched off the HD feed so was probably having too many problems with it. Missing England's only goal of the match was bad enough but then they forced us to watch the rest of the game in standard definition BOO to ITV!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]Chiles is an aggravating cu@?

He really must be fckin someone to vet all the gigs he does.

And people moan about corden

Totally agree, he was more suited to Match of the day 2 where his late night matey chat wasn't quite as irritating (although still a bit grating), as far as being the anchor on prime slots he is frankly useless. How to turn your football coverage into The One Show the Itv way.
  • Options
    The directors are established football directors from around the world and some are certainly too keen on arty replays and slow-mos - a couple of matches have been more like slow-mos for Hi Def TV. Losing the coverage was probably a manifestation of budget reductions. ITV's playout (how the picture gets to the transmitters) is contracted to Technicolour, and there will be plenty of questions for them to ask. The thought from the techy people I know is that the Hi Def feed from SA disappeared and the system was set up to default to the break bumper (the Hyundai sponsorship thing) rather than the Standard Def feed which was unaffected. As with any work thing, mistakes happen, it's how you build the problem solving into the process that matters. In this case, the system was set up wrongly; the operator on the night did a good job in getting the pictures back so quickly.

And just how rubbish is that James Horden thing?
  • Options
    Agree about the corden programme, I do like him but when there is more clapping than talkin on a prgamme then it must be shit.

World cup fantasy football league. Never replaced or neared
  • Options
    Daily Mail bleeting on about how much better the ITV coverage has been. I'd rather listen to Hansen patronise Adebayor than Clive Tyldesley anyday. They were an absolute disgrace last night.
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: BrentfordAddick[/cite]The directors are established football directors from around the world and some are certainly too keen on arty replays and slow-mos - a couple of matches have been more like slow-mos for Hi Def TV. Losing the coverage was probably a manifestation of budget reductions. ITV's playout (how the picture gets to the transmitters) is contracted to Technicolour, and there will be plenty of questions for them to ask. The thought from the techy people I know is that the Hi Def feed from SA disappeared and the system was set up to default to the break bumper (the Hyundai sponsorship thing) rather than the Standard Def feed which was unaffected. As with any work thing, mistakes happen, it's how you build the problem solving into the process that matters. In this case, the system was set up wrongly; the operator on the night did a good job in getting the pictures back so quickly.

And just how rubbish is that James Horden thing?

Interesting, thanks BA. I did wonder if Steve Rider had sneaked in via the back door!! ;-)

Soon as we lost transmission I said we'd score. I did notice that the HD feed was patchy at best.

As for Corden, enough has been said on the many other threads about it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]Daily Mail bleeting on about how much better the ITV coverage has been. I'd rather listen to Hansen patronise Adebayor than Clive Tyldesley anyday. They were an absolute disgrace last night.

Daily Mail in 'don't like BBC' shocker ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Dave Moss, head of ITV programmes sport is a Charlton fan and a good mate of PV.

Used to play football with him, nice bloke
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]Daily Mail bleeting on about how much better the ITV coverage has been. I'd rather listen to Hansen patronise Adebayor than Clive Tyldesley anyday. They were an absolute disgrace last night.

Adebayor's sole qualification to sit on the sofa seems to be that he is from Africa and plays in the Premiership. He's adding very little to the debate and (if I'm honest) I really stuggle at times to understand him due to his accent. Should have made an offer to Bartlett but of course he only played for us and wouldn't be recognised by most of the watching public despite his international experience, etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Clive Tyldesley, now theres a waste of a HD picture.
  • Options
    The Nike ad Ken are they actually now putting ads during actual games or was that another cock up?.

Do not give them ideas please!......

No they had a special Nike ad that got the last 5 seconds missing in the champions league, trouble was that the ad was so 'arty' it could have been advertising hair gel, Guiness, or Gillette, the last 5 seconds showed the client..... Nike, Whoops! I think they had to re-run it free of charge .....

By the way I think Grade stepped down as Chairman at ITV.......
  • Options
    Adam Crozier (the ex-Royal Mail boss) now runs ITV.

Of course, ITV has made this mistake before...

• Options
    LOL...well done inspector...good find.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]I have an Hd tv but not an Hdtv box so I saw everything in glorious standard definition. What is more perplexing is the tv directors of these games (which i presume are South African with the rest of the world getting picture feeds) and their habit of showing everything at least 8 times in slow motion including facial expressions whilst they completely neglect the match going on in the meanwhile. I noticed there were several slo-mo replays of a run of the mill US corner but nothing of Dempseys goal until half time. It appears that we are having the action directed by the same people who did exactly the same thing in France 98. I.e focus on all the minor things in major detail and forget all the major talking points.

so you are watching using freeview? or sky without HD?

Incidentally I noticed from a sky hd box that didn't have HD subscription that the free HD channels look better on SCART than their non HD versions on SCART (hdmi sockets were knackered).
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I have a Philips standard definition freeview box running thru a Sony Hdtv. It provides a decent enough image in sd so I missed the hd fiasco. Regarding the better quality images thru scart on an Hd box I agree- I have noticed the same thing on my parents Sky Hd box, not sure why it should be that way but it is.
  • Options
    my guess is those channels are broadcast with better bandwitdth generally, and use the maximum capability of the scart cable whereas the sd channels don't
  • Options
    That is as good a guess as any and is probably true.