Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Graham Taylor - 5 Live

I am very uncomfortable with Graham Taylor being used on 5 Live as an expert summariser, yesterday he was having a right old pop at Cappello, now fair do Fabio has made a few cock ups, but my problem is Graham Taylor was one of our worst England managers, he was a disaster, how can this man have a go at Cappello about team selection when he picked Keith Curle as a right back when he clearly was not? the fact he picked Carlton Palmer, who was never an England player, shows how bad he really was, so to hear him in this role is nothing short of a joke, please don't get me started on Jim Beglin at ITV.....

Comments

• Options
    Prefer Taylor to Pleat, but that really just emphasises how low I regard Pleat.
  • Options
    To be honest I am with you on David Pleat, its a difficult one, always found Tery Butcher good, and I dont mind Waddle, Mark Bright is not good either
  • Options
    Only heard him at half time and was surprised how outspoken he was.

Pleased that he was giving an opinion and backing it up with examples/reasons.

Didn't agree with a lot of what he was saying but found it refreshing.

Thought Mick McCarthy did well on BBC. No silly jokes, just talked football.
  • Options
    I used to be very anti Graham Taylor but I've listened to him a lot over the past few years and he does talk a lot of sense. His England spell was a long time ago and he must have learnt a few lessons. He did have some bad luck to be honest. Gazza was not fit for most of his time and nor was Shearer from what I can recall.
    I didn't hear him on Saturday as I was in a HD pub! As said above he is far more opinionated than he used to be. But that's what you want isn't it? Not people like Pleat sitting on the fence.
    As long as it's just the pundits with experience in football giving opinions and not fat ugly "commentators", who should stick to telling you what is happening. Of course I am referring to Alan Green. He's great in the WC, huge pauses as a player who is not in the EPL has the ball and you can almost see him looking the name up on a list.
    Butcher is very good as is Waddle who divides his time with analysis and running the Theo Walcott Fan Club ;-).
  • Options
    Anyway at least Colin Murray is off 5Live for now.
  • Options
    Taylor is one of the few i actually enjoy listening to.
  • Options
    I find his comments quite insightful to be honest - and Mark Bright tells it how it is as well.
    He will say it is bad, and will also tell you why it is bad.
  • Options
    Butcher is atrocious. How can someone criticise Taylor in one breath and then promote Butcher? Taylor was found glaringly lacking as an Engalnd manager, but both his spells as Watford manager were truly superb. To have got a dysfunctional third tier Watford in to the prem was truly remarkable. His spell at Villa before the England nightmare was pretty damn special as well, albeit his return not so brilliant but certainly not helped by Gregory's woefully expensive squad. Butcher? A patchy at best Coventry spell, whilst an appallingly nightmarish over-spend at Sunderland, followed up by failure at any 'larger' club he's been at.

I'm sorry Butcher may talk with passion, but verbalises the game at Talk-Sport hyper-imbecile level. I am no great fan of Taylor, and diasgree with him often. Whilst he can be overly technical, he sees patterns in the game and justifies his reasoning. Butcher's just a reactionary fool, with no strategy on how he'd develop a team but more often than not a ramble on about individuals short-comings and not what needs to be done to avoid or mitigate for them.
  • Options
    I was about to post, Butcher is an idiot but Colin sums him up perfectly. Top post
  • Options
    Maybe I have a soft spot for Butch with him being part of two exciting/infuriating and eventually disappointing WC's.
    Agreed his managerial record is poor but his is passionate about England and that's what I want to hear.There are too many non English experts on the BBC. His and others experience has been wasted by the FA in my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ITV - Keegan and Childs o dear o dear o dear . Well if Keegan gets naffed off i guess he will throw his toys out the prame and walk out.
  • Options
    Mark Bright - Why is it this guy thinks he is the only person that knows anything about African football??

Adebayor - I can see the reason behind the BBC's decision to get him in but i cant understand a word he says.

Adrian Chiles - Why is it whatever show or channel he is on, he loves showing clips of fans or players doin stupid sh*t. Its not funny, the only thing thats funny is your face.

As for Graham Taylor, he doesnt really bother me....
  • Options
    Adebayor's phone just kept going off in the studio before the Japan v Cameroon game and you could see him frantically trying to turn it off under the desk!

Does my head in to see or hear Taylor and Keegan even dare to criticise Capello and England!

For me Townsend has turned into a decent pundit as well as Mick McCarthty and Hansen.
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Anyway at least Colin Murray is off 5Live for now.

We just have to put up with him on MOTD2 next season instead!
  • Options
    Jan Molby was terrific on 5Live yesterday (Liv V Man City). He talks so much sense, he doesn't bang on and on about formations and set-ups like bloody Claridge. He doesn't nastily insult players and he doesn't go over the top about them either. Also not a hint of bias considering his playing career. In fact the only thing you'd connect to Liverpool about him if you didn't his history would be his accent!
  • Options
    Jan Molby was terrific on 5Live yesterday (Liv V Man City). He talks so much sense, he doesn't bang on and on about formations and set-ups like bloody Claridge. He doesn't nastily insult players and he doesn't go over the top about them either. Also not a hint of bias considering his playing career. In fact the only thing you'd connect to Liverpool about him if you didn't his history would be his accent!
    Agreed, I always enjoy listening to Molby. Speaks far better English than me too.................. 
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    David Pleat is an excellent pundit. Agree with Colin about Graham Taylor. Pat Nevin is decent too.

EDIT: just realised most of these posts are from 18 months ago.
  • Options
    They're still relevent though. My opinions haven't changed.
  • Options
    Chirpy you must be delighted 5live use Colin Murray more than ever now?!

(Personally I think he is pretty good, quite likable and obviously a football fan first and foremost)
  • Options
    Taylor sounds a lot like Pleat on the radio.  I often sit there thinking, how can they let this idiot Pleat continue commentating, then realise it's Graham Taylor and relax, before realising how ridiculous it is to relax when Taylor's spouting the type of rubbish that makes me think he's Pleat.  Perhaps I just like Taylor and can't get beyond the kerb-crawling with Pleat...

Anyway, I think the BBC should use Lee Dixon a hell of a lot more, ludicrously preferring as they do their liberal sprinkling of the truly awful Lawrenson and the inert Shearer. 

Grudgingly, Gary Neville is making an excellent fist of being a pundit and I like Matty Holland very much too.