Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Question Time

2»

Comments

• Options
    Did that guy in the audience say people carrying a knife should be exterminated?
  • Options

Did that guy in the audience say people carrying a knife should be exterminated?

No, don't be daft.

He said they should be extinguished.
  • Options

I think so, very insensitive, he should have just said bring back capital punishment.
  • Options
    David Aaronovitch nailed it.
  • Options
    Mind you it's an interesting discussion.
    If everyone in London carrying a knife, for purposes that cannot be justified as good reason, were removed (not extinguished).
    It would definitely reduce the amount of people stabbed.
  • Options

I THINK they said his name was Mr D A Lek.
  • Options
    What got me was when it was said that longer sentences for carrying wouldn't be a detterent... Ask those kids in your focus group again if they'd still carry when 3 or 4 of their mates are doing a ten stretch for it and see if you get the same bravado answers...
  • Options
    Im guessing he didnt say exterminted then lol i was listening but also ironing a shirt and reading a message on my phone and thought what the fuck did that guy just say
  • Options

Im guessing he didnt say exterminted then lol i was listening but also ironing a shirt and reading a message on my phone and thought what the fuck did that guy just say

He did say exterminated. I think he got a bit carried away. He think what he really meant was that they should be locked ip for good.

only problem is we dont have the prison space. Easy solution is to build more prison & make current prisoners do it as pary of their sentance. good old fashioned chain gang.
  • Options

He did say exterminated. I think he got a bit carried away. He think what he really meant was that they should be locked ip for good.

only problem is we dont have the prison space. Easy solution is to build more prison & make current prisoners do it as pary of their sentance. good old fashioned chain gang.
    He definitely said exterminated. Until that stage he had a point - there must be a reason we don't have gun crime like 75% of the world - guns are illegal near enough full stop. The only way to cut knife crime in our country (and I stress OUR country) is for our police to treat every knife holder like a gun holder. Lock them up. Lock them up for long enough that they all know it won't be tolerated even to carry one, or hold it for friend. What possible excuse could a person have for carrying than potential attempted murder?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He definitely said exterminated. Until that stage he had a point - there must be a reason we don't have gun crime like 75% of the world - guns are illegal near enough full stop. The only way to cut knife crime in our country (and I stress OUR country) is for our police to treat every knife holder like a gun holder. Lock them up. Lock them up for long enough that they all know it won't be tolerated even to carry one, or hold it for friend. What possible excuse could a person have for carrying than potential attempted murder?
    Potential murder maybe but lots (I understand) do it for protection, or as a deterrent because someone might attack them if they don't have a knife. Mix that in with bravado, peer pressure and stupidity and suddenly lots of kids are carrying knives. Bit like the US with guns. If the government threw everything it has behind getting knives off the street, it would need massive resources to stop and search, maybe a curfew, loads of police, education, funding of youth schemes, break up all the gangs (which will have a massive effect on the drugs market, that will have some side effects). For me, well worth doing at any cost. The horse hasn't already left the stable in terms of knives, it can be done with the political will
  • Options
    Missed it last night, did Abbot avoid numbers?!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Missed it last night, did Abbot avoid numbers?!

Yes, she wasn't too bad, apart from her annoying habit of pointing her finger towards the person she is addressing.
    I think this comes across as a bit aggressive.
  • Options

Fell asleep to the show last night. I agree with golfie. Prison space isn’t conducive to tougher sentencing unfortunately. I truly believe a lot of structural, cultural and societal changes need to take place to solve knife crime long term, but short term I wish we had a way of handing out tougher sentencing. I’m sure many of you could argue that tougher sentencing might go against those long term goals, but i just can’t understand how some of these cases I read about in the news get such minimal prison time.

They may have mentioned it on the show but is there no way gvt can put through emergency legislation re: carrying knives like they did with acid attacks, or is not deemed on the same sort of scale as a problem?
  • Options
    Sadly everybody has a point and it is a mistake to focus on one ingredient. Poverty is a vital ingredient, but you can add lack on community policing, negative influences within the community, lake of appreciation of the growing problem when it was easier to tackle, lack of family authority and I'm sure quite a few more. I think the most realistic comment I have heard about this was from Sadiq Khan when he said it would take a decade to put right. He was hammered for it by Piers Morgan, but it will and a good start would be to appreciate that, get to work on it and stop looking for a magic bullet.
  • Options
    Jordan Peterson gave a good account of the knife crime phenomenon. Status competition. Yes, that implies poverty as a factor, but only a factor, and the agency of the actor who has something to gain.
    His contributions from last night are here;
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=znpSoDyp9Eg&ved=2ahUKEwi0o6jx_8beAhXMJMAKHaFRBQcQwqsBMAF6BAgJEAg&usg=AOvVaw3HAyCN_WNbB9uXc3lXzHY7
  • Options

Jordan Peterson gave a good account of the knife crime phenomenon. Status competition. Yes, that implies poverty as a factor, but only a factor, and the agency of the actor who has something to gain.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=znpSoDyp9Eg&ved=2ahUKEwi0o6jx_8beAhXMJMAKHaFRBQcQwqsBMAF6BAgJEAg&usg=AOvVaw3HAyCN_WNbB9uXc3lXzHY7

He made some very good points. Kwasi kwateng I didn't agree with, he had an issue with their being sociological aspects and that it shouldn't take 10 years to fix. If it takes 10 years, it takes 10 years which means there are fundamental changes. The rate of crime ought to drop along the way. The point about probability of being caught and it needing resources was also good.

I heard from a social scientist recently regarding male dominated status based business structures which are set up to reward those fighting for the top spots, rather than a more cooperative style of arrangement, and how it negatively affectively females from rising up (and also males who weren't driven by status ambition and aggressive question for power) even if the cooperation approach actually results in more efficient and effective business decisions. Be interesting how it could all be resolved, and please everyone... Perhaps something left field like providing heavily subsidised sports facilities? (Though I've just looked into this and competitive sport may actually encourage rather than diffuse aggressive behaviour... Back to the drawing board!)
  • Options

Who invited Davros?
  • Options

I haven't heard Jordan Peterson say anything I have had cause to disagree with (yet).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ms Mcguinness .. never used one word when 200 would suffice ..listening (5Live) rather than watching, she was such a bore and the Canadian 'expert' was nearly as bad .. Abbott made the best observation when she observed that the lack of well paid blue collar jobs (making cars at Ford, Dagenham v flipping burgers at McDs) has led to disaffection amongst the non scholastic/academic youth .. 100% correct .. still that is still just part of the knife/murder/drug dealing issue
  • Options
    A 16-year-old girl has been arrested on suspicion of murder over the stabbing of 22-year-old Ayodeji Habeeb Azeez in Anerley, in south London, on Sunday.

The girl, who cannot be named due to her age, is in custody in a south London police station, the Metropolitan Police said.

The arrest is the third in connection with the murder of Azeez, who died of multiple stab wounds after an attack on a residential street in broad daylight.

Related: How to solve the knife crime epidemic
  • Options
    Is a "rack of lamb" the Welsh equivalent of a wall of gammon?
  • Options
    That Claire Perry is totally deluded.
  • Options

Judging on the representatives they’ve put forward tonight, both the Conservatives and Labour are treating this BBC QT as the equivalent of a Checkatrade tie.

Judging by the way QT has gone over the last few years, they’re right to do so.

Claire Perry (who?) is right gobby nightmare!
  • Options
    Not many Tory MPs available tbf. Half have resigned or thinking about it & the other half are plotting a coop
  • Options

Not many Tory MPs available tbf. Half have resigned or thinking about it & the other half are plotting a coop

not even the creation of a mutual society will help them
  • Options

They're plotting a small, town centre convenience store that has a membership list with whom profits are shared? Blimey. I'd have though that was more Labour than Tory.
  • Options

Perfect idea for a bunch of headless chickens.