Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I ve just been given

From what my nan left me a set of ciggie cards and within it

a card of Jimmy Seed how fooking happy am i about that in a sheff weds kit b ut that dont bother me

Thankyou Nan best gift ever for an addick RIP

Comments

• Options
    Very nice indeed. She knew it would go to someone who would appreciate it. Clever woman. RIP.
  • Options
    What brand of cigarettes is it from...?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I am envious NLA! Are they 20's or 30's? Any chance of posting a scan of some of them on here (particularly Jimmy Seed)? I love old football cards. What a fantastic thing to have been left by your Nan. RIP.
  • Options
    Great for you...treasure them nla.
  • Options
    they say footballers from 1928-9 by John Player and sons

theres a W Dean who played for Everton as a centre forward i think that might be Dixie Dean but i will have to investigate more
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]

theres a W Dean who played for Everton as a centre forward i think that might be Dixie Dean but i will have to investigate more

from wiki 'William Ralph Dean (22 January 1907 – 1 March 1980), better known as Dixie Dean, was an English football player'
  • Options
    Lots of Charlton cards from the 20s onward to be found here.

http://www.charltonscrapbook.110mb.com/framecards.html
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]they say footballers from 1928-9 by John Player and sons

I've collected cigarette cards since I was a kid, I've got quite a few full sets and even more part sets and thousands of 'odds'...

Don't have that Players set though, is it from the first (50 cards) or second series (25 cards) and do you have the full set...?
  • Options
    I have the players set from 1928 all 50 and the players set from 1928/9 which i believe is a 25 set
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]I have the players set from 1928 all 50 and the players set from 1928/9 which i believe is a 25 set
    Nice, are they stuck in an album...?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]I have the players set from 1928 all 50 and the players set from 1928/9 which i believe is a 25 set
    Nice, are they stuck in an album...?

not stuck but are in an album but yo can take them in and out

i also have footie cards of the likes of Duncan Edwards made by Barratt and co
  • Options
    Wow, that's amazing - Jimmy Seed and Dixie Dean ! RIP.
  • Options
    Jesus, they must be worth a fortune! Don't sell them though, they sound like something that should be kept in the family and passed down.
  • Options
    Whatever you do DON'T stick them in a book with any kind of adhesive, they'll become worthless over night...

If the book becomes tatty you can by special made acetate free 'poly pockets' for them and a purpose made album for about 5/6 quid...

The value of the cards can vary greatly, a lot depends on their overall condition, obviously the better shape they're in the more you'll get if you sold them...

The two sets ought to fetch £35/40 per set in reasonable condition...

Take a look on Ebay and you'll get some idea about what sells and who's buying....

Football set usually do quite well...

My main interest is trains, got any old loco sets...?
  • Options
    i would never ever ever sell anything that someone left me after they have passed away these were collected by either my Grandad or my Nans dad all those years ago and if they took the time and effot to place them in an album and obviously enjoyed doing so by the stuff they have wrote within that album then i will treasure that and make sure they stay with me and then go to my son who will know the relevance of his family heritage and importance to our blood line.

somethings money cant by there are no more oakmans in our family that i am aware of so i will put these with her dads miltary cross and other 1st world war memorabilier (sorry if spelt wrong)
  • Options
    well done nla. people these days seem to keen to get rid of famlily heirlooms to the highest bidder (not that im having a go at you redzed for your interest). my grandad left me a pocket watch, i mean who is gonna wear one these days, but i'd never sell it. my mum has an old grandfather clock from 1840 and a table and chairs from 1750, all passed down the family. i feel bad because they arent things i really want, but when they are left to me i know i will have to keep them and pass them on as all my family gone by have. you cant beat sentimental gifts. i have my granny's rocking chair in my bedroom. nobody likes it but i cant part with it! (new thread)