Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Beckham - England Manager?

edited June 2010 in General Charlton
Bit of a debate down the pub and it was split 50/50.

Don't worry, i'm not suggesting he should do the job now (although i'm sure he can't do much worse than what we're seeing at the moment) but who thinks one day he could do the job? Apparently he's got some of the coaching badges already.

Why not try something different for the future? He's got the respect vote from me and i'm sure the majority of the female population would be happy!!..

Discuss

Comments

• Options
    It's impossible to say until he's proven himself as a club manager for 5-10 years. What I'll say with certainty is he shouldn't be hurried into the position in some sort of patriotic, misty eyed fashion
  • Options
    The David Beckham hairdryer?

Scary.
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    Didn't really work with Hoddle which is the closest historical equivalent i can come up with.

I say no at the moment but if he proves himself at club level or maybe international level elsewhere then possibly yes in the future.
  • Options
    Funny that, we discussed same thing tonight.
    Scenario......
    Capello quits tonight after player backlash,
    Becks steps up and gives it a go,
    Win Wednesday and go onto win world cup!!
    Becks is God, suits him sitting on that bench and he has lots of passion.
  • Options
    I think Hoddle was a decent manager - England played some good football during his reign, unfortunately it was his strange views on faith healers and karma that undermined him, that and not practising penalties.
  • Options
    Interesting debate, not sure if he is management material, certainly would need to cut his management teeth somewhere or maybe be an assistant for a while. i do not think the problem with England is necessarily the manager, although Capello has shown he is not perfect, it is the players. Until there is an overhaul in many elements of English football including how players are coached and developed, I find it hard to see how any manager could do any better than Capello.

Let us not forget, 2 weeks ago Capello could do no wrong and was our best manager since Sir Bobby Robson. Also we win Wednesday and subsequently go on to have a decent tournament, which remains possible, Capello will be regarded as the best man to lead England at least until 2012.

As for Beckham, one day and would not bet against him having a shout around 2018 when England may host the WC.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cabbie8[/cite]
    Becks is God, suits him sitting on that bench and he has lots of passion.

Passion! Hurray! As long as he waves his arms a bit we'll storm through ;-)
  • Options
    Strange. This thought popped into my head earlier. I'm not sure he does need to prove himself anywhere before hand. Rijkaard, Klinsman, Van Basten and Dunga didn't have too much experience, before they took over the national team and all did pretty well. He is a figure head, respected by the players, knows the players, knows the pressures of being an international footballer, an international captain and most importantly the pressures of playing in major tournaments in the modern day. Capello is a fantastic manager, but perhaps he is inexperienced at managing players/personalities/ego's at a major tournament and being surrounded by his players 24/7. I don't think Beckham as next England manager is as ridiculous as it first sounds.

Theoretically, if England fail to qualify from the group stage and Capello resigns, who is there? Roy Hodgson doesn't look like he is willing to bide his time until after the World Cup and should be named Liverpool manager this week, whereas the FA are never going to touch Redknapp or Allardyce and Curbs has been out of the picture for too long, leaving O'Neill as the only candidate previously mentioned for the job.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Strange. This thought popped into my head earlier. I'm not sure he does need to prove himself anywhere before hand. Rijkaard, Klinsman, Van Basten and Dunga didn't have too much experience, before they took over the national team and all did pretty well. He is a figure head, respected by the players, knows the players, knows the pressures of being an international footballer, an international captain and most importantly the pressures of playing in major tournaments in the modern day. Capello is a fantastic manager, but perhaps he is inexperienced at managing players/personalities/ego's at a major tournament and being surrounded by his players 24/7. I don't think Beckham as next England manager is as ridiculous as it first sounds.

Theoretically, if England fail to qualify from the group stage and Capello resigns, who is there? Roy Hodgson doesn't look like he is willing to bide his time until after the World Cup and should be named Liverpool manager this week, whereas the FA are never going to touch Redknapp or Allardyce and Curbs has been out of the picture for too long, leaving O'Neill as the only candidate previously mentioned for the job.

Fair points. I could see him being potentially ok as a motivator at a major tournament once we've got there, but he'd probably need managerial experience and tactical nous in the process of qualifying. I'd rather he proved himself in a decent job first.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe if he had an assistant with some know how along side him? Can't think who that would be at the moment though!
  • Options
    Stuart Pearce?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cabbie8[/cite]Stuart Pearce?

As manager or assistant? I can't believe how quiet he's been so far!

I wouldn't be at all suprised if Pearce and Beckham take over England next and perhaps that is the FA's long term plan. It would certainly explain why Beckham's been so involved in training sessions.

As someone said earlier though, there are serious problems with the development of players in this country. On MOTD earlier Hansen was asked why Brazil have consistenly produced world class players. His answer? Beaches. If it were beaches wouldn't Jamaica have the best team in the world? Or Pompey, Southampton and Bournemouth the best academies in England?

What the FA need to realise and especially Sir Trevor Brooking, is that 10 year olds shoudn't be playing their football anywhere near adult size pitches or with full size footballs. In Brazil the kids play 5 a side games on small pitches with smaller and lighter footballs where they are not allowed to slide tackle or kick the ball over head height. That is why the are so technically "gifted."
  • Options
    While the Terry Saga was ensuing I had a dream - well it was more like a premonition - that we won the World and Beckham was lifting the trophy. When he got injured I realised that this was simply false hope on my part, however maybe Beckham hadn't taken over as captain following Terry's dismissal, Ferdinand's injury and Gerrard's conviction and sentencing the jail (there was nothing conclusive about this in the dream however I think it is the fairest assumption that can be made), maybe Beckham had taken over as manager and my premonition will come true, we will win the World Cup & he will lift the trophy.

My dreams are rarely wrong and my best suggestion would be to show Cappello (and Pearce who would be his immediate replacement) the door.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    david beckham england manager, oh do leave it out. he can't even string more than a few words together and that voice, bloody hell the team will be cacking it ( not ) if they don't win a match!
  • Options
    Hopefully he'll die peacefully in his sleep and the nightmare would never be up for debate....
  • Options
    Capello hasn't become a bad manager over night....he did a super job of getting us to the finals remember and our recent form has been pretty damned good.
    Sometimes you CAN blame the players and for no accountable reason thing's just don't seem to happen despite 'nothing' being different on the training ground or in the dressing room from what it was the previous week...that's football for you. Haven't we all been there....you just can't fathom out why things went wrong one week and go great the next.
    I kid you not they are just as likely to gel on Wednesday and put in a great performance(I'm not saying they will mind you)...sometimes there's just no accounting these things.
    They are a good bunch of players...not the greatest but pretty good(certainly way way better than we've seen these last few days) and have been so for a fair while, so I for one am not having it that this current lack of form is much, if anything, to do with Capello.
  • Options
    Let's make this simpler....

Here are Fabio Capello's achievements as a coach....

ACMilan

Serie A Winner 4 Tmes: 1991–92, 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96
    Supercoppa Italiana Winner 3 Times: 1992, 1993, 1994
    UEFA Champions League Winner: 1993–94
    European Super Cup Winner: 1994

Roma
    Serie A Winner: 2000–01
    Supercoppa Italiana Winner: 2001

Real Madrid
    La Liga Winner 2 Times: 1996–97, 2006–07

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Current England National Football Team

Euro 2008 - DID NOT QUALIFY
    World Cup 2006 - QF (After beating Paraguay, Trinidad and Ecuador)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I think based on those comparable achievements that it is not Mr. Capello's ability that is in question but rather that of his over-hyped under-performing players.
  • Options
    Why not!

Someone told me the other day, that no team has ever won the world cup with a manager that wasn't from that teams country, is this true?
  • Options
    Doesn't one need to be able to spell E-N-G-L-A-N-D, without peaking at their shirt, before they can manage England?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Although DB loves his country and would never make himself unavailable for selection as a player (unlike some others - Scholes & Carragher spring to mind), I'm not sure going into management is in his plans - isn't he going to be running his soccer schools in the USA? Isn't that why he took the LA Galaxy job?
  • Options
    Lol, please god do not let this happen, Beckham is not management material.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]Doesn't one need to be able to spell E-N-G-L-A-N-D, without peaking at their shirt, before they can manage England?
    Peaking or peeking? LOL

No offence intended to Emile, but the next batch of interviewees for the England job need only be asked one question: Will you select Heskey?
  • Options
    I can see the gutter press picking this up and running with it. What a nightmare.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]Why not!

Someone told me the other day, that no team has ever won the world cup with a manager that wasn't from that teams country, is this true?

Yeah i heard that too. As well as the fact that a European country has never won the WC when it's been held outside of Europe.
  • Options
    bottom line is you never really know until they try regardless of experience etc. He might be just what the overpaid premadonnas need you never know. His experience as a player cannot be beaten, and perhaps his more softly spoke approach might do well, plus he's English.
  • Options
    Klinsmann took Germany to 3rd place at the last WC with no previous experience.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]Why not!

Yeah i heard that too. As well as the fact that a European country has never won the WC when it's been held outside of Europe.

...and only Brazil have won a World Cup out of their continent...
  • Options
    Beckham shouldn't even be there as the cheerleader that he currently is and if I was the boss he'd never have been on the plane.

Over rated as a player, over rated as a captain, yet somehow has now achieved the ability to miss out on the years spent learning the managerial business and is ready to step in to save England. My flabber is truly gasted....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite] Over rated as a player, over rated as a captain

Turn it in! Over 500 games for Man Utd, Real Madrid and AC Milan and over 100 caps for England, yeah well over rated!