Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bit of culture (!)

edited June 2010 in General Charlton
some Charlton related poetry.

http://www.footballpoets.org/p.asp?Id=8678

Comments

• Options
    and this

http://www.footballpoets.org/p.asp?Id=25619
  • Options
    This too

http://www.footballpoets.org/p.asp?Id=2
  • Options
    Nice:
    Should re-title this thread Len......
  • Options
    Rename this thread and you've got a winner...

There once was a player called Hasselbaink
    Signed by a donkey, and to be frank
    Try as he might
    He really was shite
    If fact he was a complete load of wank...
  • Options
    Preferred the old Title......
    ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Preferred the old Title......
    ;-)

:-)

I thought as the Sam Bartram statue had been up a while someone would have already posted the poem although a quick search showed nothing. Hence my original title.
  • Options
    Limericks aint easy Red....to be super critical you are missing two beats in the last line which you could quite easily rectify with a little bit of extra thought.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Limericks aint easy Red....to be super critical you are missing two beats in the last line which you could quite easily rectify with a little bit of extra thought.
    O ye of little culture...

It's a stanza...
  • Options
    Rename this thread and you've got a winner...

Try as he might
    He really was shite
    If fact he was a complete load of wank
    He then rode his fat arse off to a bank,
    While the rest of the poor bloody club sank.

I forget the particular poetic phrase but the added rhyming cuplet, could be added, perhaps we could enter this for an art's council grant

from the Bard of Bexley....... WHAT IS A BARD?
    "And there are among them composers of verses whom they call Bards; these singing to instruments similar to a lyre, applaud some, while they vituperate others."
    Diodorus Siculus Histories 8BCE
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Limericks aint easy Red....to be super critical you are missing two beats in the last line which you could quite easily rectify with a little bit of extra thought.
    O ye of little culture...

It's a stanza...

Egh???
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There was a bloke from Bexley called Ken
    Who read my poem and then
    Thinking he's a poet
    (He's not but don't know it)
    Add two extra lines fcuking it right up and then goes on to take the piss by talking a load of bards when really he should go out and get a job and stop ruining the work of proper poets like what I am...

(ok, so the last line doesn't rhyme...)
  • Options
    I think it might be a little too long as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]I think it might be a little too long as well.
    Peasant...
  • Options
    That didn't rhyme either.....

Getting lazy now man
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]That didn't rhyme either.....

Getting lazy now man
    It's called minimalism...
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Try as he might
    He really was shite
    If fact he was a complete load of wank
    He then rode his fat arse off to a bank,
    While the rest of the poor bloody club sank
    Being Dutch, I am told he liked a bit of Skank
    As a tv pundit he really was J arthur rank
    In fact the tv critics thought he stank,
    God forgive Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink......

Thank god my time at Sherrington school was not wasted!....
    Daniel Day-Lewis Father thought I had some talent,.....but the call of graphic design was where my true talents lay, a humble 'artist' to embelish the country's reading matter!

Oh forgot to add this is to the same metre as "There Ain't Half Been Some Clever Bastards" . which of course Red Zed would have recognised!
  • Options
    Daniel Day-Lewis' father...?

He knows nothing...
  • Options
    That is what I thought .... Poet Laureate, anyway we had a lad at the school called Lionel De la Mer, and as Dave Rudd know's his football was like 'poetry in motion'......

Walter John de la Mare (pronounced /ˈdɛləmɛər/[1]), OM CH (25 April 1873 – 22 June 1956) was an English poet, short story writer and novelist, probably best remembered for his works for children and "The Listeners".
    He was born in Kent (at 83 Maryon Road, Charlton[2], now part of the London Borough of Greenwich), descended from a family of French Huguenots, and was educated at St Paul's Cathedral School.

Now if you lived in the cultural wastelands of Charlton this man stands like a becon his view.......
    "Children are, in short, visionaries." This visionary view of life can be seen as either vital creativity and ingenuity, or fatal disconnection from reality (or, in a limited sense, both).

As I said earlier..... "There Ain't Half Been Some Clever Bastards"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]That is what I thought .... Poet Laureate, anyway we had a lad at the school called Lionel De la Mer, and as Dave Rudd know's his football was like 'poetry in motion'......

Walter John de la Mare (pronounced /ˈdɛləmɛər/[1]), OM CH (25 April 1873 – 22 June 1956) was an English poet, short story writer and novelist, probably best remembered for his works for children and "The Listeners".
    He was born in Kent (at 83 Maryon Road, Charlton[2], now part of the London Borough of Greenwich), descended from a family of French Huguenots, and was educated at St Paul's Cathedral School.

Now if you lived in the cultural wastelands of Charlton this man stands like a becon his view.......
    "Children are, in short, visionaries." This visionary view of life can be seen as either vital creativity and ingenuity, or fatal disconnection from reality (or, in a limited sense, both).

As I said earlier..... "There Ain't Half Been Some Clever Bastards"
    Huguenots...?

Now I can see why Daniel Defoe described Charlton as:

'A village famous, or rather infamous for the yearly collected rabble of mad-people, at Horn-Fair; the rudeness of which I cannot but think, is such as ought to be suppressed, and indeed in a civiliz'd well govern'd nation, it may well be said to be unsufferable....'

It all makes sense now...