Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football related business idea

Work for a Design Agency churning out marketing material for non descript businesses. This doesn't really get the creative juices flowing!

In the pub the other day a few of us had the idea of designing football club Tees and Polos. Obviously wouldn't use club names/crests, but the colloquialisms fans use to refer to their clubs-Gooners, The Wall, etc-in an original, Paul Smith style graphic. Sort of thing you'd actually like before you noticed it referred to your team! Print them on a half decent garment and knock them out for £15-£20.

Wondered whether this might appeal to those who wouldn't wear a replica shirt (like me!) but feels most of the other stuff clubs turn out is a bit dull and naff!

Comments appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    It's probably worth checking whether any of those are trademarked already as I have a vague recollection that Gooner might be.
  • Options
    Tees and Polos...

This is Charlton Life mate, got any grand-dad shirts....?
  • Options
    Tartan blankets and flasks. You'll make a fortune.
  • Options
    I think as soon as you put a footballing reference on a fashion garment it instantly ceases to be fashionable.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]I think as soon as you put a footballing reference on a fashion garment it instantly ceases to be fashionable.

I always remember s club 7 performing in some sort of footie/fashion garb and it looked really smart (though Rachel Stevens would look awesome dressed in a burka made of turd)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Tees and Polos...

This is Charlton Life mate, got any grand-dad shirts....?[/quote]

or cardigans.
  • Options
    or badges
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]I think as soon as you put a footballing reference on a fashion garment it instantly ceases to be fashionable.

I always remember s club 7 performing in some sort of footie/fashion garb and it looked really smart (though Rachel Stevens would look awesome dressed in a burka made of turd)
    You've just given me a brilliant idea....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]

Turdqa
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]

Turdqa
    I was thinking more along the lines of a Burkshite....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2010
    The case of Arsenal Football Club v Reed may be relevant here. The case involved the use of the Arsenal brand, not sure if it related to the use of the word "Gunner" or "Gooner" directly (the case involved scarfs and hats sold outside Highbury) but pretty sure the facts of the case are not too dismilar from the original business idea above.

Nice idea but certainly worth checking the exact law before any money is spent on designs/production etc.

Edit: checked my notes and this case is more to do with the Arsenal logo (i would assume the badge) more than anything so it could easily be distinguished from using club unofficial nicknames. The case did however relate to replica shirts and tshirts.
  • Options
    when saturday comes has lots of ads for similar t shirts.

Philosophy football do a lot as well.

There does seem to me a market so worth looking into.

Questions are how do you differentiate and how do you get the product to market. (see kap I know my 4 Ps)
  • Options
    CAFCDAN18

Cheers! Have just Googled it - really useful. Copyright/IP law is a real minefield and one that's usually best navigated by those with deep pockets (aka Premiership Football Clubs!)
  • Options
    Cheers guys, have got an idea for a CAFC message/design which I'll work-up and post on here for you to savage!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stevietwells[/cite]CAFCDAN18

Cheers! Have just Googled it - really useful. Copyright/IP law is a real minefield and one that's usually best navigated by those with deep pockets (aka Premiership Football Clubs!)
    Should be easy enough to check which ones are registered trademarks.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    i think one problem would be how to make them unique for each club, aside from the logo. e.g. i think it'd be a bit naff having exactly the same design for all teams playing in red & white so you'd have charlton, arsenal, united, exeter etc fans wandering around in essentially the same top just with a different word/logo.
    obviously that just makes it sound like you couldn't walk down the street without seeing someone wearing one of these hypothetical tshirts, but you get my drift!

also, as a young person, the biggest problem i'd have with "gambling" on buying a tshirt like that (presumably off the internet) is that they generally just never fit very well and come up two sizes too big so i'd be unlikely too part with my cash.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]I think as soon as you put a footballing reference on a fashion garment it instantly ceases to be fashionable.[/quote]

this
  • Options
    Sounds like a worthwhile exercise Steve
  • Options
    Something like this would never catch on unless you got a designer brand on board
  • Options
    Jeff banks is an addick get him in to design some gear, don't all laugh but he does a pretty decent budget range that is is matalan so might appeal to him as giving somthing back to his local community.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Send me some pics/design ideas and I'll open up a page or two for you so we can all have a look see...