Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

tracing a person by car number plate

edited July 2010 in Not Sports Related
Some eejit dented our car door and even left red paint from their motor, it was in a work car park but cctv is apparently inconclusive and they won't own up - even tho they were parked next to us and there is no way it could have happened any other way. I want to find out who they are but the Mrs work security people won't let on.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Do you know the number plate? If so you can trace them on the DVLA website I think.
  • Options
    Can the police not assist?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Can the police not assist?[/quote]

Won't want to know if on private land.
  • Options
    Well if it's a work car park presumably the car parks there regularly?

Can you not just leave a note on it asking them to pay the damages - if that doesn't work then stoop to their level and sabotage their car
  • Options
    have reported to the police since posting, they have recorded it and may investigate it as criminal damage - not holding out much hope tho, my main concern is to see the cctv before I am convinced on whether it is useful.
  • Options
    The easiest way to do this is to follow the car next time it leaves the car park.

Then you may get an address, which MIGHT give you somewhere to send your claim in writing.

or you could end up at the local KFC or similar !
  • Options
    When I worked in estate management we used to be able to submit queries to the DVLA if we wanted to trace abandoned vehicles via the number plate. Very strict rules on who they will give the info to. I know of an officer who was dismissed for using the service to trace a drive off in a minor collision. Not an option.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]When I worked in estate management we used to be able to submit queries to the DVLA if we wanted to trace abandoned vehicles via the number plate. Very strict rules on who they will give the info to. I know of an officer who was dismissed for using the service to trace a drive off in a minor collision. Not an option.

This is still the case. Use form V888 from DVLA, pay your £2.50 and make sure you have a good reason to ask for it i.e."Some geezer cut me up on the way to work and I want to have a word about it..." probably won't get you the info but the circumstances as described might get a result.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Can the police not assist?

Won't want to know if on private land.
    How does that work? If you'd been burgled, murdered or threatened on private land they'd be there, why not for this?
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]When I worked in estate management we used to be able to submit queries to the DVLA if we wanted to trace abandoned vehicles via the number plate. Very strict rules on who they will give the info to. I know of an officer who was dismissed for using the service to trace a drive off in a minor collision. Not an option.

This is still the case. Use form V888 from DVLA, pay your £2.50 and make sure you have a good reason to ask for it i.e."Some geezer cut me up on the way to work and I want to have a word about it..." probably won't get you the info but the circumstances as describedmightget a result.

Good luck.
    I can't imagine for a minute they'd give you the name and address, what if you went round and caused trouble? - they'd end up with a huge amount of egg on their face.

The way I see it there's only two ways to go about this:
    1. Take the philosophical approach - remember it's just a tin box for getting around in. Accidents happen and sooner or later every motor ends up with a few knocks and scratches. Forget about it.
    or, if the costs of #1 are too big either financially or emotionally.
    2. Call the cops. If it's that important to you, you need to persuade them that it should be that important to them.
  • Options
    I would have thought a thin piece of paper and a pen/pencil would be easier.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paint from a car is like DNA from a human...

Go round and get a scrape of paint from every red car and get them analyzed...

You soon find the culprit, seen it on CSI...
  • Options
    Was it your old Ford boy racer car Razil?

If so I am sure that dent probably caused £500 worth of improvements......?
  • Options
    Twice in the past (in the UK) my parked car was hit by someone who drove away. Both times a witness got the details of the cars in question. I gave the details to the police, who then gave my phone number and address to to the perpetrators! Luckily one just wanted to pay for the damage without going to insurance, and the other wanted me to encourage the police to drop the charges, as he was already in the doo-dah with his folks. Could have been big Vinny with his shotgun for all the OB knew, but they didn't give a flying one about giving the victims details to the "criminal", so why the secrecy the other way around?
  • Options
    It's bizarre - stay five minutes over in Tescos car park and they'll get your details off the DVLA and sent you a fine quick as you like, and that's hardly so serious and crumping someone's car. Apply for the details - word it right and you should get them.